• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

are HID's still popular?

I seem to see HID headlights a lot loss lately on the roads.
Are they becoming less popular/were they a fad or is it just me?
Hardly see mention of them on this forum lately either.

I think they are becoming commonplace as more manufacturers build them into a wider range of cars. It's likely that the color on the newer bulbs is not as blue/purple as they used to be. A lot of the aftermarket kits of yore were purposely skewed into the blue/purple wavelengths to stand out.

I just replaced the bulbs on my wife's G35 (factory HID bulbs burnt out) and the light output is definitely not as purple with the new replacement Philips bulbs.

Also the "next big thing" is going to be LED headlights. I believe the top end 2013 Accord has them.

Last edited:
HID retrofit kits are less popular because people finally figured out that you simply cannot put an HID bulb in a Halogen housing without consequences. Though, HID kits in projector halogen housings aren't so bad.

HIDs in general are more popular as they are becoming more and more standard option accessories on cars. The only way HIDs will become less popular is when LEDs take over - which will be soon.

They are maybe 1/10th the price that they were back in the early 90's when introduced. I remember paying upwards of $600.00 for a kit for my MR2 then.:frown:

For me, I think the HID's these days are over done.
Seems everyone has them on their cars, I even see old ugly corollas with them. Looks kinda stupid on beaters and cheap cars, but guess beauty is in the eye of beholder.
Actually, us old school cars guys kinda frown on old school cars with a HID.

I remember somewhere that HID retros are illegal in anything besides projectors.

I have HID for my Hi and Low. Only compromise I had to make is that it takes a lil longer for the hi beam to get to its full brightness. They take 3-5 seconds to get intensely bright. They are a lot brighter then the OEM and reflect farther down the road. Even on a cold day the Hi beam is still brighter then the OEM when you first activate it. They get brighter as the bulb warms up. I like them and feel it makes night driving safer for me. I can pick the deer up quicker when hitting up the twisties at night.

I seem to see HID headlights a lot loss lately on the roads.
Are they becoming less popular/were they a fad or is it just me?
Hardly see mention of them on this forum lately either.

If they are becoming less popular what is replacing them?

I dont think their getting unpopular. They are the best bang for the buck lighting mod still available. I believe now that most everyone has them, they seem less desirable than when not everyone could afford them way back when. Back when they were introduced if you could afford them you were set apart from those who could'nt or would'nt spend the money for a set. Their just not a hot commodity anymore. I believe most of us are setting our sites on LED technology now. And thats not very far away.

I just replaced the bulbs on my wife's G35 (factory HID bulbs burnt out) and the light output is definitely not as purple with the new replacement Philips bulbs.

As true Xenon HID bulbs burn in, over time, the color temperature shifts toward the more blue (around 6000K) so when you replace them with new bulbs, you are back to original 4300K which is the temperature of sunlight. Philips (and probably others) make a prematurely "aged" bulb to used as a replacement when you are changing only one bulb. That way, a better color match is achieved.

BTW most of the color in a HID system is a result of the prismatic affect of the light passing over the edge of the cutoff shield inside the projector housing.

I think the fad was for the blue and pink shades of HID's, the true white ones commonly found a lot of cars as OEM now in days, are still popular IMO.

Last edited:
Another alternative. I replaced my low beam OEM bulbs with HIR bulbs. I think these are brighter and "crisper" than OEM with less glare, but they are the traditional color, not blueish, or purpleish.

Read about them here: www.hirheadlights.com.

Cannot overlook the cost effectiveness of LED technology as we move forward. They are somewhat expensive now, say in the case of overhead warehouse shoplights, but when they come down in price ........... isn't it all about the $$$, as it almost always is?

so the leds I see on cars during daytime are also the cars low beam night headlights?

no, those are daytime running lights and they've been the fad ever since the r8 came out. but some new models of highend audi, prius, and others are coming out with actual led headlights that are much brighter than the general DRLs. i saw an a8 behind me not too long ago with them, they look great but id like to see a beam pattern comparison between led and hid

no, those are daytime running lights and they've been the fad ever since the r8 came out. but some new models of highend audi, prius, and others are coming out with actual led headlights that are much brighter than the general DRLs. i saw an a8 behind me not too long ago with them, they look great but id like to see a beam pattern comparison between led and hid

...so that has been my point all along...the op's question was odd,in effect most newer cars have some form of hids as thier regular headlight,the op I think thought that the ridiculous off colored rice hids were the only hids in existence..and yes we do see less of those obnoxious things.

Cannot overlook the cost effectiveness of LED technology as we move forward. They are somewhat expensive now, say in the case of overhead warehouse shoplights, but when they come down in price ........... isn't it all about the $$$, as it almost always is?

If you ask 100 questions 99 of the answers....money.

Back