• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are Mercury containing compounds used in Root Canal Procedures?

Sig

Experienced Member
I haven't had any cavitities as an adult, but I had quite a few that developed in my molars when I was 10-12 years old. Now 20+ years later, I am considering replacing my old amalgum fillings with non-mercury containing fillings. I also had a root canal in my front big tooth as a result of a briskly moving baseball:) This led me to wonder about what materials are used in the root canal procedure. The root canal was done about 6 years ago.

Based on cursory www reading, it seems there is some rubber substance that is a primary canal filling material. Are there other materials involved that are packed into the canal? I saw general references to 'cement' that is also used but have no idea what exactly that is. I imagine there is some sort of a general filling used to close up the root access hole on the backside of the tooth, but I can't tell what was done there since the tooth is covered by cap.

Mercury is a component of the amalgam used for "silver" fillings. The other major ingredients are silver, tin, copper, and zinc. When mixed, these elements bond to form a strong, stable substance. The difference between bound and unbound chemicals can be illustrated by a simple analogy. Elemental hydrogen is an explosive gas. Elemental oxygen is a gas that supports combustion. When combined, however, they form water, which has neither of these effects. Amalgam's ingredients are tightly bonded to each other. Although the types of chemical bonds in water and amalgam differ, saying that amalgam will poison you is just as wrong as saying that drinking water will make you explode and burst into flames. :biggrin:

Very sensitive instruments can detect billionths of a gram of mercury vapor in the mouth of a person with amalgam fillings. However, the minuscule amount of mercury the body absorbs from amalgams is far below the level that exerts any adverse health effect. One study found that people with symptoms they related to amalgam fillings did not have significant mercury levels. The study compared ten symptomatic patients and eight patients with no reported health complaints. The symptom group had neither a higher estimated daily uptake of inhaled mercury vapor, nor a higher mercury concentration in blood and urine than in the control group. The amounts of mercury detected by the tests were trivial. Some studies have shown that the problems patients attribute to amalgam restorations are psychosomatic in nature and have been exacerbated greatly by information from the media or from a dentist.

In other words, there are alot of dubious hype about the "dangers" of Mercury.

You probably get more mercury from high-food chain fish like Tuna.

One way of ridding your body of Mercury is via ejaculation.... :tongue:

The reason I am looking to replace some of my old fillings is not because of mercury, but because a few of them need replacing due to their age. Specifically, two of them have to be replaced. I am going to get non-amalgam fillings when I get them done for cosmetic reasons.

I don't believe I have mercury poisoning or anything of the like. I am however curious about the materials used in root canal procedures simply because I am curious if amalgam is one of the typical components of the procedure.

The reason I am looking to replace some of my old fillings is not because of mercury, but because a few of them need replacing due to their age. Specifically, two of them have to be replaced. I am going to get non-amalgam fillings when I get them done for cosmetic reasons.

I don't believe I have mercury poisoning or anything of the like. I am however curious about the materials used in root canal procedures simply because I am curious if amalgam is one of the typical components of the procedure.

There are no mercury containing products in any root canal filling matrial. The last known toxic material, Sargenti Paste, hasn't been used in decades and it's illegal in the USofA.

If you have large old amalgam restorations that are breaking down, sometimes it's better to replace them with better materials to prevent tooth/restoration fracture. I can't give you any specific advice, but ask your dentist what is the best conservative treatment. I do a lot of gold inlays and onlays on most of the posterior teeth along with some porcelain onlays. I never do all porcelain restorations on 1st or 2nd molars. I always do full gold crowns on 2nd molars.

Dentistry has changed tremendously in the past ten years. The materials and techniques are far superior than 15 to 20 years ago. However, the basic principles of good preperations and solid occlusion will never change.

My understanding is that the 'cosmetic' fillings are not as strong as the ugly mercury ones....

Actually, some of the Zirconia products are much stronger than amalgams. Today we look for materials that have similar properties as tooth structure. One of the problems with amalgams are the shrinkage and expansion properties of it comparred to tooth structure, especially if the restoration covers more than 2/3 of the occlusal surface. Composites on the otherhand exhibit litte to no shrinkage or expansion after they are set, however during the curing process they have shrinkage due to polymerization and can cause the tooth to fracture immediately.

The problem today is that dentists think that they can bond anything to anything without any consequences. Furthermore, the increasing trend of immediate gratification is causing the general population to demand things be done instantly is causing many dentists to do push the envelope with the materials available. There's a reason why we don't see those "extreme makeover" shows on tv anymore, care to guess why?

Last edited:
If you have large old amalgam restorations that are breaking down, sometimes it's better to replace them with better materials to prevent tooth/restoration fracture. I can't give you any specific advice, but ask your dentist what is the best conservative treatment. I do a lot of gold inlays and onlays on most of the posterior teeth along with some porcelain onlays. I never do all porcelain restorations on 1st or 2nd molars. I always do full gold crowns on 2nd molars.

Thanks Doc. Other than gold, are there any materials that are suitable for high-use molars? Do the zirconia compounds you mention work for these teeth? I would love to have a non-metalic appearance on a couple of these molars.

I agree with docl, gold is the best.
BUT....
A Zirconia based inlay/onlay would be a great choice if you did not want to do gold. High flexural strength (400+ MPa)and highly esthetic as well.
As your dentist for a IPS e.max inlay/onlay.

I agree with docl, gold is the best.
BUT....
A Zirconia based inlay/onlay would be a great choice if you did not want to do gold. High flexural strength (400+ MPa)and highly esthetic as well.
As your dentist for a IPS e.max inlay/onlay.

So I am clear, the 'IPS e.max inlay/onlay' is sufficiently durable and strong to be on the chewing surfaces of my molars?

Thanks for the input by the way. My dentist will be impressed with my new lingo:)

There are no mercury containing products in any root canal filling matrial. The last known toxic material, Sargenti Paste, hasn't been used in decades and it's illegal in the USofA.

Dentistry has changed tremendously in the past ten years. The materials and techniques are far superior than 15 to 20 years ago. However, the basic principles of good preperations and solid occlusion will never change.

Sad to say there are still some dentists that secretly use Sargenti Paste on their patients.

My dentist did and I lost half my jaw and almost lost my life. I will never be well.

Always ask your dentist what material they use for root canals. Specifically ask them if any of their materials contain formaldehyde or paraformaldehyde. If they do, do not let them proceed.

www.worstrootcanalever.com

Murcary?! No big deal. I grew up in Honk Konk with that stuffs. We routinely have murcary, led, arzenic, dog crap, cockroaches, and many more ingredients in Chineese OTC medicasions. Sum said they cause intelectual deteriorasians but I turned out find! I even finished met school and is now practicing medicine. At least I thing I are.
Steev

Murcary?! No big deal. I grew up in Honk Konk with that stuffs. We routinely have murcary, led, arzenic, dog crap, cockroaches, and many more ingredients in Chineese OTC medicasions. Sum said they cause intelectual deteriorasians but I turned out find! I even finished met school and is now practicing medicine. At least I thing I are.
Steev

:biggrin::biggrin:LOL

Sad to say there are still some dentists that secretly use Sargenti Paste on their patients.

My dentist did and I lost half my jaw and almost lost my life. I will never be well.

Always ask your dentist what material they use for root canals. Specifically ask them if any of their materials contain formaldehyde or paraformaldehyde. If they do, do not let them proceed.

Kind of an odd first post on Prime. :confused:

Why would a dentist do that?:confused:

Why would a dentist do that?:confused:

afaik sargenti makes some nice cheese,they are persnickity about it so must be good:tongue:

Barney the Purple guy? I just looked up a picture of him and it seems that he found himself an orthodontist or a bunch of percelain veneers because his teeth look great these days:)

I imagine it is the one you are thinking of though.

Well he has just one tooth all the way across the top and one on the bottom. There is no definition between any of his teeth. Strange beast he is. Daughter seems to think he is alright though. I don't trust him. He looks evil to me. :biggrin:

Back