• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Are you starting a new business?

Thank you. I do come from family in a very comfortable financial position, however I do not feel comfortable borrowing or partnering with them. My father believes in being self made and I tend to agree that the struggle makes you appreciate things more. I struggled through my mid 20's and then got into IT and landed a systems admin job. After close to a decade, my wife and I had a comfortable lifestyle. Losing my job last month has turned things upside down for me and I'm just reaching out everywhere looking into ideas.

At this point, I am going to start a consulting business and try to grow it to a point of being comfortable again. I've been a systems admin for the last 12 years and feel confident in helping businesses get their IT side established as well has help the common person with computer problems. I did some contract consulting work 7-8 years ago and enjoyed it. I just need to register a business name, write a business plan, open a business checking account, and figure out how to get my name out there to get some business in the area.

In the future, my wife and I would like to open a high end pet boutique or franchise off of one already in business. We are involved in the dog show world and have 4 dogs of our own, so it seems natural to start a business dealing with something we are both passionate about.

If anyone has ideas on how to churn up local business, I'm all ears. I appreciate those taking the time to comment no matter good or bad. Criticism helps everyone learn and grow.

I think you are on to something IT consultants can do quite well. You are right getting your name out there is going to be key for you. Since you have a limited budget and I have to assume you are just as happy to be paid your hourly rate from anyone who wants your service why not start at a grassroots level. Get some business cards right away and starting telling everyone you know about your new venture. Go the post offices and supermarkets in your area and place them on the bullitein boards.
Place free ads on any of the online classified sites you can. Consider Google
marketing. Create a Google ad for yourself and limit it to your geographical area. Put together a thoughtful website that is at first quite limited. Think carefully about the website name. Try to incorporate a search term in the URL that has high organic search value as conasted to something clever or your name.

The above should keep you busy for the next day or two. Good Luck!

Wow, great stuff here. It seems with CD rates near zero there would be plenty of private money out there willing to take a chance on a new business at say 5-10% interest.

Lack of funding is probably the #1 killer of new business'.

If there are any attorney's here perhaps they could comment on LLC, vs sole prop, S corp etc.

As a side note, I think topics like this are priceless and another reason this site should have a members only section. There is no reason everyone on the planet should have this info for free.

Craigslist for small loans seems like a good start. My other advice is learn Investors business daily's 10 secrets tosuccess. Keep them taped to your computer screen

Last edited:
"My other advice is learn Investors business daily's 10 secrets tosuccess."

Why not post them here for all to read?

"My other advice is learn Investors business daily's 10 secrets tosuccess."

Why not post them here for all to read?

1. How you think is everything: Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
2. Decide upon your true dreams and goals: Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
3. Take action: Goals are nothing without action. Don’t be afraid to get started now. Just do it.
4. Never stop learning: Go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire skills.
5. Be persistent and work hard: Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
6. Learn to analyze details: Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
7. Focus your time and money: Don’t let other people or things distract you.
8. Don’t be afraid to innovate; be different: Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity.
9. Deal and Communicate with people effectively: No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
10. Be honest and dependable; take responsibility: Otherwise, Numbers 1-9 won’t matter.

1. How you think is everything: Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
2. Decide upon your true dreams and goals: Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
3. Take action: Goals are nothing without action. Don’t be afraid to get started now. Just do it.
4. Never stop learning: Go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire skills.
5. Be persistent and work hard: Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
6. Learn to analyze details: Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
7. Focus your time and money: Don’t let other people or things distract you.
8. Don’t be afraid to innovate; be different: Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity.
9. Deal and Communicate with people effectively: No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
10. Be honest and dependable; take responsibility: Otherwise, Numbers 1-9 won’t matter.

OMG, I better start doing at least one of these. Just kidding.

Back