• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Are you sure you want a 10+ year old NSX?

Hey guys,
Sorry just venting, but i just bought very recently a 2000 blk/blk NSX (last month) and I'm already having a problem with the car. I was driving in a parking lot, when out of the blue the clutch pedal felt like it just collapsed and i had trouble engaging the clutch and trouble shifting into any gear.
I ended up getting it towed.
Will wait for local Acura dealership to diagnose the problem.
I swear I am sticking with new cars now! Less chance of stuff breaking down.
Mind you, I have spent the following thus far:
1. Car $48K
2. Tax title registration $3K for TX
3. Travel expenses to get the car $500+
4. Stage 2 paint correction and rim curb rash repair $700+
5. Timing belt/water pump, all fluids, belts, major services by Barnman $4K
6. This new clutch issue $?

Anyone want to buy a 2000 manual NSX with 30k miles? Lol

(end vent) lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348365110.220423.jpg

I swear I am sticking with new cars now! Less chance of stuff breaking down.

I'm with you, man. The NSX was my first and will be my last ever used car. I am over 10k in past the purchase price fixing stuff the pre-purchase inspection missed.

Stuff breaks on new cars, but they tend to have a warranty, so it's someone else's problem. When you buy an NSX, you can't really take it back to the person who sold it to you and make them fix stuff that wasn't known or disclosed. Well, you can try, but there's no guarantee.

Same thing happen to my clutch a few years back but it ended up being low on fluid. Be sure to check for a leak if any and don't get discouraged overall Hondas are as reliable as a blind date in H.S.

Sorry to hear about the problem. Sounds like the clutch master/slave went out. I did the work myself and think it cost about 300 in parts. I know it is too late now but when I buy a used car I also plan for all the potential service needed. Sounds like you had a bad ppi which makes a lot of the expenses hard to swallow. Doing a lot of research on common problems and maintenance requirements is something I do prior to purchasing any car. Doing so has steered me a way from many manufacturers and models. That said the nsx other then the major items you did timing belt etc has a very low maintenance cost. Hopefully just your master and slave need to be replaced and if you have the shop do it it should be less than 600. Not a drop in the bucket but not too bad.

Sounds like the clutch master cylinder and/or the clutch slave. No big deal. Pretty easy DIY if you are the least bit handy. This is a very common problem, just do a search.

Hey guys,
Sorry just venting, but i just bought very recently a 2000 blk/blk NSX (last month) and I'm already having a problem with the car.
(end vent) lol

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Think positive, if you started like this things can only get better now :).

I really hope you don't get discouraged, imagine what Ferrari guys are going through :D.

Only reason I fear buying one of these. Would prefer to pick up a 91 that I know is crap than a 2002 that looks awesome and falls apart.

Very misinformed and inaccurate statement. I'd say the majority of our cars are well kept and much more resistant to falling apart than 90% of the cars on the road, especially if the NSX is newer/more expensive. A clutch master or slave cylinder issue is nothing outrageous and can be easily overlooked during an inspection. It only gets expensive when you have a clutch install or the TB/WP maintenance. Other than that, not much else fails besides the typical electronic pieces that usually does not effect driving.

Pour some dot3 brake fluid in the reservoir and pump the clutch until the pressure is back. It's temporary fix until you replace the leak. You didn't need to tow it unless the clutch actually went out on you. There would have been slippage symptoms if this was the case.

Very misinformed and inaccurate statement. I'd say the majority of our cars are well kept and much more resistant to falling apart than 90% of the cars on the road, especially if the NSX is newer/more expensive. A clutch master or slave cylinder issue is nothing outrageous and can be easily overlooked during an inspection. It only gets expensive when you have a clutch install or the TB/WP maintenance. Other than that, not much else fails besides the typical electronic pieces that usually does not effect driving.

Pour some dot3 brake fluid in the reservoir and pump the clutch until the pressure is back. It's temporary fix until you replace the leak. You didn't need to tow it unless the clutch actually went out on you. There would have been slippage symptoms if this was the case.

I agree. Some people believe a PPI will tell you everything, right down to how times the previous owner hit vtec. But alas, that is not the case.

Op, hoping the issue is not a clutch, and something cheaper to fix!

If it is indeed the master clutch, it is quite simple to fix. Get the part, install it and bleed the lines. It is just like Honda Civic, it is not that complicated.

How many miles does it have?

Last edited:
My car (1992) has 170,000 km and still rolling with the clutch OEM, no problem... are you sure the master cylinder is dead? there no liquid under the carpet? see if the caps are not missing out on the clutch pedal (small white plastic cap)

Thanks for the replies, guys. It happened yesterday late afternoon (Saturday), so I just had the NSX towed to the Acura dealership, and I guess I will hear the status on Monday or so. I will definitely get back to you all on it.

Joker, the car has 30K miles on it.

ekhonda87, I had Barnman (Barney Demonbruen in TN) do a PPI on this car. He is considered to be very good from what I have heard. Oh, well, I guess this was not predictable.

I am so glad that this/something didn't happen while I was driving on the highway, I imagine it could be potentially disastrous, right? It really sounds bad, but I would truly consider parting with it even though it is my 3rd NSX and I've only had it for a month, and all maintenance is updated (I even recently ordered a new OEM steering wheel for $700+ and new OEM shift knob ~$100 and carpets! $170, since I wanted everything to feel brand new in the interior LOL).

Paying for unexpected maintenance/service sticks but the largest expense that you will incur on cars will always be depreciation. My Dad bought a 2006 SL55 back in 2009 for less than 50% of the original sticker which means that the guy who sold it probably took a $70k bath in just 3 years. Dropping $10k on a NSX which is depreciating at a much slower rate doesn't seem so bad compared to that.

$3000.00 to REGISTER your car??? Wtf over.

Think about it, you now own a near perfect NSX with 30k on the clock and TB/WP GOOD TILL 2020! Fix your clutch slave and drive the wheels off it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It happened yesterday late afternoon (Saturday), so I just had the NSX towed to the Acura dealership, and I guess I will hear the status on Monday or so. I will definitely get back to you all on it.

Joker, the car has 30K miles on it.

ekhonda87, I had Barnman (Barney Demonbruen in TN) do a PPI on this car. He is considered to be very good from what I have heard. Oh, well, I guess this was not predictable.

I am so glad that this/something didn't happen while I was driving on the highway, I imagine it could be potentially disastrous, right? It really sounds bad, but I would truly consider parting with it even though it is my 3rd NSX and I've only had it for a month, and all maintenance is updated (I even recently ordered a new OEM steering wheel for $700+ and new OEM shift knob ~$100 and carpets! $170, since I wanted everything to feel brand new in the interior LOL).

Ready to shark here :)

If it weren't for your join date, you'd think this was your first used car. Shit breaks, deal with it.

^ This. It will last for at least a few more weeks.

During 4 years of ownership my costs were gas and a few hundred dollars for
one new tire. When compared to other used high end autos such as my wife's 1998 MBZ the NSX is a real value. You are not dealing with a DD that was $12K as new. This is a high-end exotic that was in and around $100k out of the show room and to expect costs to be that of an Accord is naive.

just remember the Ferrari guys have cars that are approaching 10 years of age, between you and then, financially - you are at a better place and besides, NSXPrime has almost EVERYTHING you need to know about fixing it up... and by the way, you problems are actually pretty trivial and easy to fix... On the Ferrari boards, you get this when you want help, "yeah, uhmm just send it tothe dealer man, don't mess with a car like that yourself"..

Sorry to hear you've had a rough start with your NSX.

It appears you were aware of the first 5 items when you purchased it... 1) the price of the car, 2) title tax registration, 3) travel expenses, 4) Stage 2 paint correction & rim curb rash repair (maybe you didn't realize this expense), 5) all the maintenance & service to get it up to where it is all set to go...

Then #6 unexpected happens... which bites.

Another way to look at it is you could purchase a new car for $50k, still pay the title tax registration, woudn't have to pay for travel expenses (miss out on a possible fun road trip), wouldn't have to fix any paint issues or maintenance, all covered under warranty, BUT then you lose $15k to $20k when you drive it off the dealership lot.

I would suspect, even after your repairs, after 5 to 10 years of owning the NSX you would be ahead. Maybe your car isn't as dependable as some NSX's.

I haven't had to do anything major to date in my 4.5 years of ownership of a 91. But I will be due for the WP/TB, hose replacement & major services within the next year or two. I went in knowing these costs.

I'm fairly sure I could sell my NSX now for more than I paid for it.

Like you said, you are venting AND I feel your pain. Especially when a person feels they have done everything to get a car up to par and then have something break. It is very frustrating... My horror story is a 1989 Lincoln Continental. I will tell you Consumer Reports had this year as one of the worst, lemons. I found out they were right. That was my money pit. I should have left it dead along side a TX highway when the engine melted down. Basically, after repairs, then eventually selling it for the cost of repairs.

New cars come with warranty, but they can still end up in the shop, but you normally get a loaner car, and suffer the depreciation.

At least an NSX still looks cool on a flat bed tow truck. :smile:

I'll be pulling that your NSX will be a cheap fix.

I have a 2002 NSX, I'm the original owner, still has the original clutch and brakes with 61,000 miles on them. I've replaced all the belts hoses, TB/WP,
O2 sensors, battery, tires (multiple times), clutch cylinder, oil changes twice a year or 3,500 miles whichever happens first, and that's it. The belts, hoses, tb/wp were done as routine maintenance, not because anything failed. Now, I promise my car would pass any PPI, by anyone, could I be sure the clutch won't go, or that the brakes won't need replacing, I think not. Other than that, I'd say anybody buying a car like mine, that's been maintained this way, should expect to shortly replace the shocks, brakes, and that's about it. I've driven my cars over 100,000 miles on the OEM clutch, and I don't track or abuse the car. I do drive in a spirited fashion on occasion. My car is not for sale (unless someone offers me stupid $$$, ie $75,000 or more), but it sounds like your car might just need the clutch cylinder. The other stuff, well that you knew going in. Fix it, drive it, and enjoy it!! That's why you got it. Sh-t happens.:wink:

To the OP...

I offered in a PM back in mid July to go take a look at the car you were thinking about buying here in Nashville, but never heard back from you.

I told you in the PM how picky I was, so perhaps if you had gotten back with me about this car, you might have discovered the need for a $700 exterior and wheel detail as well as the clutch problems you are now having.

Live and learn...

I agree with the others who have said it's a master/slave issue. Had mine for about 4mos when my issue arose. Got in one day to drive and clutch pedal went straight to floor with no resistance. Got towed to dealer and it ended up being a bad master cylinder. Never noticed any residue on carpet. Had them replace the slave while they were at it as they usually aren't far behind. Why did you sell the other two?

Back