• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attn BBSC Novi 2000 Owners! Have you noticed oil in your Supercharger inlet?

ive seen, with my own eyes, 10 motors blown as a result of a whipple based SC. I can't conjecture how many others are out there, because i've only been privy to the ones i see as i happen to pick up or drop off my car.

Your ass is speaking. Use your head and your mouth. i'm just sayin'.

Re-read this:

"The positive displacement blowers just are a better design for long and reliable life. Sure they make more heat, but it's build tolerances and separate oil system makes for headache-free issues related to the blower."

What did you think I meant with that?

Re-read this:

"The positive displacement blowers just are a better design for long and reliable life. Sure they make more heat, but it's build tolerances and separate oil system makes for headache-free issues related to the blower."

Don't shit in my thread, Allen.

This is caused by increased crankcase pressure from the forced induction, not the supercharger itself (assuming you have a crankcase ventilation ahead of the supercharger). It is simply more visible on a centrifigul supercharger. This is usually more noticeable on 91-96 NSX due to the valve cover design. It can be reduced with a catch can, but isn't that much of a concern. Oil build up in the factory intake manifold from crankcase ventilation, even in all factory NSX, is normal.

-- Chris

IMHO I think it's boost. 8psi being the max i would run on a stock block.

I'll be pulling the engine out soon and once it's opened my engine builder and I will see if my engine died as a result of:

1. bad tuning (detonation)
2. FIC hit it's limit at 10psi~ (detonation)
3. Or the OEM piston rings simply couldn't handle the extra dynamic pressures even with the correct tune and supporting mods.

Not #2. The FIC goes to 15 PSI with 750 cc injectors no problem. Your 550's could be the issue though

Re-read this:

I didn't actually mean it with regards to the above. I meant it with regards to saying having a BBSC is as bad as a rotary FD. If anyone should find fault, it's me. I've paid for work that was done poorly, and paid for work that wasn't done at all (both issues discovered later), as well as work that was supposed to have been done, and had my money taken and no effort put forth to do the work that was contracted. I only state that to establish my "impartiality" as it would relate to the bbsc. Is it the best system out there? Nope. Is there support from the manufacturer? Nope. But it is a good system, with a nice layout. Not quite the same thing as what you're making it out to be.

This is caused by increased crankcase pressure from the forced induction, not the supercharger itself (assuming you have a crankcase ventilation ahead of the supercharger). It is simply more visible on a centrifigul supercharger. This is usually more noticeable on 91-96 NSX due to the valve cover design. It can be reduced with a catch can, but isn't that much of a concern. Oil build up in the factory intake manifold from crankcase ventilation, even in all factory NSX, is normal.

-- Chris

Are there any fixes that a machine shop can do to the valve cover fore example?

When my engine popped there was alot of oil in the intake box.

I run Mobile1 5w 30 Full Synthetic, could the low weight of oil be a contributing factor? Should I step up the weight of oil?

I run Mobile1 5w 30 Full Synthetic, could the low weight of oil be a contributing factor? Should I step up the weight of oil?
FWIW, not sure i'd bump my oil weight just for this issue. I'd run the appropriate oil weight for my crank bearings and the like. You can try to bump up to 10w30 but that's about as high as I would go.

Our go-to NSX tech guy here even recommends going with 0w30 :eek:

Eric,
I got 20K miles of awesome service from the BBSC that the PO had installed 5K before I bought it. I drive enthusiastically including 4 track days and have not noted oil in the exhaust. I ran/ run the NOVI 2000 as well and I will ask Cody what he sees in the intake when he removes the BBSC.
I did have an oil issue on track due to no valve cover vent catch can which showered the header with oil. Spectacular from the tower but not so much from the ownership perspective.
Also and I am embarassed to say this- but I found my BBSC install instructions today. Probably unused since MB did the install...
Curt

Eric,
I got 20K miles of awesome service from the BBSC that the PO had installed 5K before I bought it. I drive enthusiastically including 4 track days and have not noted oil in the exhaust. I ran/ run the NOVI 2000 as well and I will ask Cody what he sees in the intake when he removes the BBSC.
I did have an oil issue on track due to no valve cover vent catch can which showered the header with oil. Spectacular from the tower but not so much from the ownership perspective.
Also and I am embarassed to say this- but I found my BBSC install instructions today. Probably unused since MB did the install...
Curt

Thanks for your reply, but I don't have oil in the exhaust, only a little in the supercharger inlet, where the filter attaches.

You won't notice unless you remove your intake filter.

Like Chris mentioned earlier the design of the 3.0 vent under boost or in VTEC pushes a lot of oil in the valve covers. Hard cornering causes that oil to blurp in the vent all over the headers, engine, wherever. (if you have it vented to atmosphere). When I read this and saw some of the internal mods people were doing to their 3.0 covers, I said screw that that and just got the 3.2 covers. They switched the location of the vents and PCV. Plus it looks good having the red valve covers..

I still had the issue with oil, not from crank pressure, but just bad impeller seals with the NOVI. hope that helps.

Not knowing how much you drive your car, but I just got into the habit of taking the filter off before I started the car and checked for oil. It was more a guess on how much oil would pool at the bottom of intake before I sent it back. The last time was pretty bad. It let loose while I was driving.

Thanks for your reply, but I don't have oil in the exhaust, only a little in the supercharger inlet, where the filter attaches.

You won't notice unless you remove your intake filter.

Understood. I have a foam filter attached to the S/C inlet and when cleaning it I have not historically seen oil at that location. As I mentioned I will ask Cody to remove it and look there as part of the removal process.

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll just deal with it.

Yo E...

Give me a shout and ill explain an easy fix to reduce the pressure blowing the seal.. it’s also the reason oil is in the filter...

FWIW - everyone chiming in about catch cans... just like t-body inlet diameter and exhaust port exit diameter .. correct sizing of the breather lines and also filter diameter is exponentially important to any benefit at all received if not adequate....simple explination = small hoses or too small of a breather won’t suffice the ventilation need

What do you think of my Catch Can location? Hoses aren't hooked up yet, I just mounted it to the existing stock bracket that was there.

attachment.php

On your set up E.. looks like ¼” lines.. not sure on the filter ID.. the diameter of the hole connecting it to the can should be a min 1 1/2”s

Regards

Are there any fixes that a machine shop can do to the valve cover fore example?

When my engine popped there was allot of oil in the intake box.

Yes, you can improve this by using the front valve cover for crankcase ventilation and moving the PCV to the rear by using an inline PCV. If you'd to take it a step further, you can remove the baffle next to the vent holes on the valve covers, or drill holes in to the baffles to allow accumulated oil to drain back in to the cylinder heads.

-- Chris

If you're going to lose sleep over if you're wondering about crankcase pressure or not and if that's the cause of the oiling issue I'd suggest to just invest in a different breather setup, or modify your own.

There's only a few options out there.

1. An ebay catch can that I looked at before that a few others have
2. SOS catch can
3. Dali coolant tank/catch can
4. Stmpo catch can "no longer made"

If you're engines built and you have more pressure or more blow by than normal I'd recommend a tank with larger lines. So you can either modify your own or ask Ross to make you one.

Back