• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Audi R8 impressions

I was fortunate enough to have a new Audi R8 loaned to me for an extended roadtrip this past weekend from Miami to Key West. I am offering few impressions (just my opinions) after spending some time with the car. First, I believe the car does look better in person than in photos. The front and back are beautiful and very modern in design. The midsection is a little bulky for my taste (much like the Veyron). The view of the engine is nice under the glass hatch, but I was disappointed that the LED lights to illuminate it only seemed to light as a function of the entry/exit safety illumination. The car has a deep throaty exhaust note which sounds like a bigger engine. The car had the Rtronic transmission. It worked great when shifting it, however when placed in full automatic mode it lurched and lagged with each shift at low speeds to the extent that people looked at you like you didnt know how to drive a manual transmission. The fit and finish of the interior is excellent. A few of the ergonomics are off. The tops of the gauges were blocked by the top of the steering wheel. The windshield header is so low that you have to bend forward to see stop lights and there are huge blindspots in the rear c pillars. The "gadgetry" in the car is impressive. The park assist (with proximity sensors front and rear, and a rearview camera that superimposes an image of your projected path depending on the angle of the steering wheel) was a blessing in parking the car in tight spots. The only trunk was in front. It was fairly deep, but very narrow. I dont believe you would be able to fit more than one carry one sized piece of luggage in the car (one backpack filled it up). The compartment also heated up everything placed in it, so plan on defrosting your groceries on the way home. The car attracted huge amounts of attention. I have had people take photos of my NSX at stop lights, but have never had people run out into traffic to knock on the window to ask me to pull over for a better look and quick photo session. This may be an effect that the car is a new model that people are not yet too familiar with and for many its probably their first sighting.

How was the performance?

The R8's an amazing car. I got to drive a 6-speed last summer, and it was pure sweetness. It's the kind of car I wish Honda would make.

Yes, it's not as fast as a GT-R, but it's very much like the NSX in that you can't measure it by mere stats alone -- the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts.

And it does look very striking in person, and much better than photos can show.

And here's of course my obligatory pic of my NSX and the R8 together:

nsx+r8.jpg

The performance was great once you got moving. From a stop or in traffic its response is terrible (due to the Rtronic transmission). When it finally shifts into third gear it takes off and pulls hard.

David "the Hoff" owns one. A black one. He dig the car. It's going to be the feature car for the US Top Gear come soon.

I too was fortuante enough to drive the Audi R8 and for me its the closest car to the NSX but in modern touch. I even liked the "clunkiness" of the shifting using the paddle shift gearbox and the exhaust note does indeed make one believe its a larger engine than it is. The one drawback for me was the seating position as it felt like I was being forced in towards the steering column. I played around with the seating and thought "if only this car was like the NSX in terms of seating dynamics"...

Here's an article done using my ex-91 NSX and the R8:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100596

Haven't driven the R8 yet, but it looks like the next great evolution from the NSX for me. If they sold for $90K, then she'd be parked in the garage already. But at nearly the cost of a used 360/Gallardo, I think I'll just wait a bit longer.

One of my students at Mid Ohio had one. So I had a chance to ride shotgun around the track. He was an intermediate student and pushed it pretty hard. Nice car. Last session, I chased him around the track and had no problem staying right with him.

One of my students at Mid Ohio had one. So I had a chance to ride shotgun around the track. He was an intermediate student and pushed it pretty hard. Nice car. Last session, I chased him around the track and had no problem staying right with him.

I am not at all surprised by that.
From previous post I have understood you are some hell of a driver :biggrin:

From a experienced track-driver point of view, could you enlighten us a bit on how the R8 and NSX compare?
In my personal view, the R8 is a kind of 2007 NSX. More powerful but also much heavier than the NSX.

From a stop or in traffic its response is terrible (due to the Rtronic transmission).

Seems like a lot of people are down on the Rtronic. Don't give up on the car until you've had a chance to try the 6-speed manual. It's exquisite.

There's no school like the old school....

If I could find one for $100k, I would hit it. That or a Gallardo.

I am not at all surprised by that.
From previous post I have understood you are some hell of a driver :biggrin:

From a experienced track-driver point of view, could you enlighten us a bit on how the R8 and NSX compare?
In my personal view, the R8 is a kind of 2007 NSX. More powerful but also much heavier than the NSX.

I didn't get a chance to drive it, but from the right seat it reminded me more of a M3 on the track than the NSX. Nimble would not be a word I would use to describe it. It seemed to handle more like a sedan than a mid engine sports car - what I mean by that is that it felt big. Plenty of power, and pretty neutral on high speed turns, understeered alot around tight turns (keyhole at Mid Ohio) but felt like it managed to transfer it's weight around without any drama. Nice car, but I don't think I would buy one for that price. It seemed to do everything well, but nothing great.

Last edited:
If I could find one for $100k, I would hit it. That or a Gallardo.

My neighbor has one for sale: mint, 700 miles, gated 6 spd, Black with carbon fiber side blades. Awesome car! PM me if you're interested, I'll pass along your info to him.

The red twin turbo diesel in Sport Car International (a few months back) making something like 800 ft-lbs at 2300 rpm (best as I can recall) had me drooling and wanting one like a teenager all over again. Last two times I felt like (aka "honey I'm selling the rental") this was when I first read about the F40 and the NSX.

Regards,

Danny

I was fortunate enough to have a new Audi R8 loaned to me for an extended roadtrip this past weekend from Miami to Key West. I am offering few impressions (just my opinions) after spending some time with the car. First, I believe the car does look better in person than in photos. The front and back are beautiful and very modern in design. The midsection is a little bulky for my taste (much like the Veyron). The view of the engine is nice under the glass hatch, but I was disappointed that the LED lights to illuminate it only seemed to light as a function of the entry/exit safety illumination. The car has a deep throaty exhaust note which sounds like a bigger engine. The car had the Rtronic transmission. It worked great when shifting it, however when placed in full automatic mode it lurched and lagged with each shift at low speeds to the extent that people looked at you like you didnt know how to drive a manual transmission. The fit and finish of the interior is excellent. A few of the ergonomics are off. The tops of the gauges were blocked by the top of the steering wheel. The windshield header is so low that you have to bend forward to see stop lights and there are huge blindspots in the rear c pillars. The "gadgetry" in the car is impressive. The park assist (with proximity sensors front and rear, and a rearview camera that superimposes an image of your projected path depending on the angle of the steering wheel) was a blessing in parking the car in tight spots. The only trunk was in front. It was fairly deep, but very narrow. I dont believe you would be able to fit more than one carry one sized piece of luggage in the car (one backpack filled it up). The compartment also heated up everything placed in it, so plan on defrosting your groceries on the way home. The car attracted huge amounts of attention. I have had people take photos of my NSX at stop lights, but have never had people run out into traffic to knock on the window to ask me to pull over for a better look and quick photo session. This may be an effect that the car is a new model that people are not yet too familiar with and for many its probably their first sighting.

Doesn't sound very much like the NSX in execution.

Have not driven either....afraid I would buy either one. But I have seen two R8's in the last two days. They are beautiful and I tend to think I would opt for the Audi.

Back