• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aussie NSX Restoration Project.

Thought I'd create a thread on my Brooklands / Charlotte Green 94 NSX with tan interior.

Previously I had a Honda S2000 (as the username suggests). After 6yrs of ownership, nearly 500whp from a Novi 1500 supercharger, a built motor, about 10 sets of wheels, a clad of carbon crap and a front cover car, I decided to move on to my childhood dream car - the Honda NSX.

A few pics of my old S2000.

c119721f.jpg

s2kmercury.jpg

044a.jpg

Picture-009a-2.jpg

5312569482_353f40a292_b.jpg

4906249866_cce2ce3358_b.jpg

032b.jpg

027b.jpg

020b.jpg

I used to love my S2000, but it became a burden. Too overly modified, it became in-practical and a hassle to drive - the joy was gone ; along with a large chunk of cash spent chasing a silly dream - HP. There is no point having a high HP modified car in Australia - there is nowhere to use it. People will argue, and say 'because race track' - but if I'm going to drive a $50k car around a race track I want reassurance - insurance; but there is no reward for doing the right thing in this country - so why bother? It just becomes a garage queen..Plus we have silly road rules and driving a car like that around was mostly an inconvenience, so after 6yrs, I gave up and moved on.....

310824_2476932531554_1499720668_32671359_96568408_n.jpg

310824_2476932531554_1499720668_32671359_96568408_n.jpg

After having such a highly modified car I promised myself I'd be good this time around.

Simple lip kit
KWV3 coilovers
Work Meisters
VTEC plates

I purchased it sight unseen from a facebook friends neighbour interstate. Having only seen the pictures online I really disliked the green, but I guessed it'd grow on me. Its a 94 NSX, automatic with 110,000KM on the clock. The interior was immaculate, though the seat belts / window sils and hood lining need a good scrubbing - but thats an easy enough job to do.

My folks drove it all the way back from Melbourne - 2300KM not a fault once. They were shocked at how good it drives and now my old man wants to buy one himself. They received MANY thumbs up and random conversations from people at petrol stations all gawking at and talking about the car - not something I really like, but I understand having been one of those people when I rarely get to see an NSX myself!

My first NSX purchase was a set of Wings West rear skirts, because I don't like the way the rear is higher than the sides, looked funky.
Next up was a bunch of interior pieces brand new from Acura USA.

2 x tan door speakers - mine has a weird mark in one of them from where it has probably been accidentally booted with a shoe.
2 x door lights - mine has 1 door light thats missing the lens.
2 x window sill plastic garnishes - mine are both a bit dirty and busted from where the previous owner had the window replaced and they broke all the clips upon re-installation...
1 x dash garnish under the steering wheel - mine was dirty and the leather had cracked a bit.

With those parts on order from Acura, I set out to take some photos for future reference, old vs new so to speak..

034a.jpg

037a.jpg

Old vs new:

307706_2606358447121_1499720668_32749562_218955173_n.jpg

Next I picked up off of Prime here a set of Brooklands prepainted Vinny Sideskirts.

I then picked up out of Yahoo Auctions Japan, what I thought was an Advance front lip. Its not, but I still like it.

Around the same time I grabbed a set of CCW's out of Toronto from fellow NSXP member, JetPilot.

DSC01949_resize.jpg

On New Years Day I went around and replaced all the globes in the car as some were out.

398650_2910848059171_1499720668_32866749_140520742_n.jpg

This picture made me realise how badly I needed the Sos plicense plate bracket holder.

My CCW's finally arrived after 44 days by airmail, and I gave them the once over wipe down.

423359_3164566841982_1499720668_32963355_248473166_n.jpg

Then this is car with everything painted and awaiting to go on..

005a.jpg

Wheels on front lip on (incorrectly.. I removed the front bumper and lower half and installed the lip... not realisit was merely meant to snap on and bolt up over the top of the OEM lower half..)

6838479059_5a584518ae_b.jpg

6829166497_1a3a5278a8_b.jpg

Following weekend I fixed the front lip issue up:
IMG_1390a.jpg

Had the windows re-tinted:

419966_10150531436986372_280391341371_9294344_1441948669_n.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

Since then, I've bought a few more aero parts.. NSX-R rear wing I'm going to paint green, just waiting for its arrival, and bought a Shark 2 antenna and have screwed on the mini aerial from my s2K over the top!

But I've also ran into some issues along the way. Found out the LHD steering wheel garnish does fit by 1/4" to a RHD car... but worst of all, the day after having it tinted, I was in peak hour traffic and the waterpump died... car overheated.. :( I managed to limp it to my mates nearby workshop 1km down the road...

Honda quoted me about $700 and a 5-6+wk wait.. A local Prime member here, whrdnsx does FI and tranny swaps etc so I asked him if he had a spare waterpump, and he did! He posted it out to me and the next day I had a new waterpump!

So now the car is booked in for a major service, timing belt change, waterpump swap, cam seals (mine were leaking a common problem with NSX apparently), valve adjustment yada yada yada - the full shebang.

Whilst all this has been happening and the car is currently in the shop, I purchased Honcho's tan leather seats he had for sale.

Seat_Leather_3.jpg

Once I get the car back from its major service overhaul, I'll get around to fitting the complete side and rear skirts, paint and fit the NSX-R wing etc.

Being that the car is a "restoration project" (with a few upgrades along the way) I still need to order a few more tan interior parts (seat belts, RHD leather steering wheel garnish, tan speaker covers, footwell garnishes, RH side tan window garnish, but a set of KW V3 coils and rear tail lights and then comes the dash.... I'm thinking a nice double din TV screen with sat nav, but then I'll need a double din garnish... fit the Shark 2 Antenna / mini aerial, fix my air cond from the CCU (it has 2 settings - OFF and 110% in your face ON) and do the window regulator upgrade as both my windows are very slow to wind up.

This is more of a recollection / restoration thread - there is no way I'm going crazy on this car, but if anyone has any thoughts, comments etc, fire away!

Last edited:
nice job

nice color.

welcome. I would think to get parts from japan would take 2 days its just across the way.

Subsrcibed.

Love it when ppl buy cars and just SPlurge. Thanks for sharing, you have a sick s2000.

Any idea why you have a funny gap in between the light and bumper on the passenger side ???:confused:

Wah you have a really nice s2000, whats the body kit you have it on there? I do not think I have seen that kind of rear kit before!

Nice NSX you got there as well, you need to lower it... which front lip you got there?

Sorry for the slow reply guys, just short on time - such is life.

I was supposed to get the car back tomorrow - new heads, major service - water pump, belts, cam seals, VRS kit, head studs, thermostat / seal, cam tensioner, crank seal etc.. The car is running and fully operational again, new fluids everything - But I've been struck down with the flu as of last night and can babrely leave the house.

But I have been busy.. Collecting more parts. :D

As it turns out because I am sick, I am having the CCU being fixed locally, but he needs more time as my board needs quite a few repairs. So since I am not collecting the car for another week (its been over 2 months since I drove it last when it overheated) this gives him more time and I'll get the car back with new CCU in working condition! :smile: The car will also come back with my Vinny's side skirts installed... I haven't installed the WW rear spats because I'm tempted to go the JDM rear bumper - theres one for sale locally in my city for only $200 (same as USDM with smaller numberplate bracket hole) then buy an 02+ NA2 / DF / Seibon rear lower valance to suit - But I know if I do that, I will then want the NA2 rear tail lights!

So in the downtime, I've bought an NSX-R wing (thats consequently been lost in the mail, returned to sender, and in the process of being resent out), new interior pieces - door speakers covers, window pillar, just picked up the RHD specific Knee Bolster leather piece for under the steering wheel out of the UK, 2 new switch panels also RHD specific, a couple of days ago I paid for my KW V3's from SoS.

I also noticed my tan sunvisors are cracked from being in the sun over time. Went to the Acura website I use to source parts, and have found they have been discontinued! :confused: Might have to get them re-fabbed locally :(

To answer some of the questions

the nice shine, lip, taillights, cam's old wheels , nice lugs look BANGING!

Thanks!

Very nice, both the S2000 and the NSX. However, I'm not too keen on you taking an NSX out of Victoria!!!

All the best,

David

Theres like, 5? in QLD lol. You guys have heaps!

Nice! Can't wait to see how the leather looks in a proper tan interior!

I still haven't put the seats in yet! Will do so when I get the car back.

Subsrcibed.

Love it when ppl buy cars and just SPlurge. Thanks for sharing, you have a sick s2000.

Any idea why you have a funny gap in between the light and bumper on the passenger side ???:confused:

Which side, left or right? LHD / RHD.

I remember that s2000!

Awesome you must be the one who bought the wheels from Cam. I remember those bad boys on my bros car and mine. They are really nice.

It is good to see another green being done.

Cams wheels are gorgeous. I love CCW's HRE's and Work Meisters. I actually had 2 sets of Work Meisters for this car while I wiated for Cams wheels to arrive, but sold them both before I could fit them - one went to a friends silver S2000. and one went to a black R32 GTR.

Wah you have a really nice s2000, whats the body kit you have it on there? I do not think I have seen that kind of rear kit before!

Nice NSX you got there as well, you need to lower it... which front lip you got there?

The S2000 has a set of GP Sport side skirts, and rear skirts. I cut them slightly to fit the J's Racing carbon diffuser. The OEM rear wing sits atop the trunk, with the mini aerial repalcing the OEM one.

I wish I knew what front lip it was!! I've been asked in PM atleast a 1/2 dozen times since creating this thread! I just bought it out of Yahoo Japan auctions second hand. I thought it was a "Advance" brand front lip but its slightly different and hangs much lower / cleaner - if anything I prefer it. There were no markings on it when I got it so I honestly can't say what brand it is or who produces it.

As for lowering, the KW's will fix that problem. Just have to get the car back first, not be sick, and install the seats.

I'll have some pics up in a few weeks time once everything is on and completed.

Well, I got the car back and its running great.

Couple of pics until I get the new suspension in.

580642_3748353476283_1499720668_33198257_1909701128_n.jpg

576688_3748355036322_1499720668_33198259_1266210855_n.jpg

578770_3748356316354_1499720668_33198261_411660797_n.jpg

My knee bolster turned up today from the UK - finally, so I installed that today, along with the new tan speaker grille covers and window garnishes.

I ordered the tan door surround garnishes from Honda locally (RHD specific) this morning. Have to wait for them to come ex-Japan unfortunately.

Still have to install Honcho's tan leather seats and replace my tan seatbelts as the previous owner turned them back simply from dirt.... :eek: Gave them a clean as best I could but they still look really dirty.

My R wing is being re-sent out today from the USA. Its proving to be a tonne of drama so I hope its worth it.. Once it arrives, I'll paint it green and put the rear spats on at the same time.

Suspension I hope to have fitted next week!

Don't know why you decided to sell it. I saw it on carsales last week and this morning it's gone.

Either you changed your mind or sold it. Shame it's not a manual or it may have come to Victoria.

bumpp for a fellow S2k --> NSX owner

Back