• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

[Austin TX] Formula 1 US GP: November 15-17, 2013

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
In a week-&-a-half...

Formula 1 US GP: November 15-17, 2013 in Austin TX!

Who is all coming?

It's much more relaxed this year (with regards to hotels/accommodations, deals for tickets, events/activities, etc). The season is a bit anticlimactic at this point, but it's still Formula 1, meaning the pinnacle of motorsports & arguably the best new roadcourse track in the world. Not to mention how cool Austin is... :D

The weather should be seasonal, and being ~2 weeks before Thanksgiving will allow many the flexibility to attend.

I'll be there in GA. Who wants to go stalk f1 drivers and/or their groupies?

I'll be there! Anyone interested in a pair of GA tickets and parking pass for Friday? Bought the weekend pass but can't make it down till Saturday morning.

I went last year and had a great time. Won't be able to make it this year. :(

Some observations:
  • The cars seemed much quieter than they did at the USGP in Indy - maybe due to the 'openness' of the track and the corners I checked out vs the start/finish straight of Indy. Also maybe I'm older/deafer? :) Bring earplugs just in case.
  • While the track and grandstands were ready last year, everything else on the outskirts seemed like it was rushed / almost ready. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've updated over the past year.
  • I did see an NSX parking at one of the areas near me, but there was no guarantee you would be on paved surface so I didn't bring mine. Not sure if they're parking in grass again this year, but something to consider.
  • They ran out of programs last year, so get yours early if you want one.
  • My seats were at turn 12 at the end of the back straight - great viewpoint for overtaking and the technical stadium section. During practice, I went around the entire track and turn 9 also looked like a great vantage point as well as many of the GA areas.
  • If you're looking for team or COTA gear, shirts, etc. I advise you get them on practice day. The lines were nuts on race day.

Last edited:
I'll be there Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Still on the prowl for comfy pants, ha! :D

Hoping to see what the McLaren & Lotus teams/companies are up to during the weekend, through "friends" so we'll see.

I think the Sunday GP crowd will be loco, as expected. But, Friday practice & Saturday qualifying will be a fraction of the masses from last year's inaugral race.

I still haven't decided how to get there & around (ie. drive-&-shutte? rail-&-shuttle? drive-&-bike? etc)...

I plan on it! What's up Jose (alas-nsx)I picked up the exhaust from last years f1

How are you? Looks like we will have a strong NSX group.

If anyone is interested I now have a spare Turn 15, Row 22 seat. Awesome seating. You see Turns 12, 13, 14, 15 into 16. In addition you see from a distance turn 1, the S-turns and over the hill coming from 11 down into 12. Willing to let it go cheap compared to standard pricing.

Can't say I've ever been to anything like this before. If availability still allows, I'm planning to snag a single GA ticket sometime this week and go from there!

Any general pointers for first time goers?

I'll be there Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Still on the prowl for comfy pants, ha! :D

Hoping to see what the McLaren & Lotus teams/companies are up to during the weekend, through "friends" so we'll see.

If you want to bring any primers with you to check out the teams, i'll be free! :D

How are you? Looks like we will have a strong NSX group.

It sure does, i bought my uni-filter from Jose during f1 as well!

Can't say I've ever been to anything like this before. If availability still allows, I'm planning to snag a single GA ticket sometime this week and go from there!

Any general pointers for first time goers?

Bring earplugs, sunscreen, and a good camera. Check out the supporting races where you will see some more ambitious and quite optimistic overtaking maneuvers :)
As you can imagine, concession prices and lines can be jacked up so plan accordingly. I think you can bring in one sealed bottle of water which you can refill if you want. For GA tickets, there were lots of areas around the tracks with good viewpoints. The ones I preferred when walking around were near turn 12 and turn 9.

Oh and the park+shuttle was well organized and fairly speedy. The only thing I'd warn about is you may be required to park in the grass which is a problem for lowered NSXs.

Last edited:
I'll be there. I also have an 2nd General Admission ticket.... my partner is a bit in flux, so if someone is interested, PM me and I can keep you posted.

151.jpg153.jpg182.jpg183.jpg264.jpg243.jpg

It was an absolute gorgeous day for the race! Being that this was my first F1 race, I can say I had a blast!

Back