• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Availability of new parts

No concern so far if you want to keep car driving but the parts do have their price tag.

Nissan and now Toyota are putting some parts back into production for its older Skyline and Supra models, any indication that Honda intends to do the same or, at least, maintain its current offer of available parts? It is a concern of mine that our cars will become more and more difficult to maintenant with OE parts.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-japanesecars/classic-supra-parts-back-in-production/41615

The U.S. parts chain is showing signs of stress, as many parts are now listed as "discontinued" in U.S. dealer systems. However, almost all NSX parts can still be ordered from Honda Japan through sites like Amayama or shops like Mita Motorsports and ATR-Parts. I have been amazed at the selection, considering the age of the NSX. For example, you can still buy a complete, assembled OBD-I throttle body from Japan- something that has been long discontinued in the US. This works for smaller parts too (like the fast idle valve). So, if you are willing to deal with the increased shipping price, your NSX should be able to be maintained for many more years.

I am hopeful, however, that Acura will start making legacy NSX parts available through US supply chain and US-based subcontractors. This likely would have to coincide with starting a NSX refresh program in the Ohio PMC like the one that presently exists in Tochigi. It is the Refresh Center who consumes most of the old part numbers and thus is also the reason for why Honda keeps making them. If we had one here in the US, it would be the same.

My car recently had bodywork done by the master..and he was lamenting the difficulty in getting oem new parts...

This is a great source for parts and well like by all that have used them.

www.MITAmotorsports.com

Also known as Speedy Parts Japan

The problem is collision parts.Getting them safely shipped from other than Acura/Honda is a big problem.
With Acura/Honda if a part comes damaged or wrong it's up to them to solve the problem. Dealing with a third party is a different ball game.

Hoods, for example, are discontinued for 1991-2001. They are fragile like a potato chip and having to deal with the shipper or the like will not be easy.

To clarify, I am mainly referring to sheet metal NOT mechanical items though there are a few that are MIA.
Try getting airbags, seat belts,clock spring, or control modules. It's damn near impossible.
Currently it's a disaster for people like me. If a NSX comes in with a airbag deployment, and perhaps structural damage that demands component replacement, I'm done. I can't go the used route very often it has to be from a verified source. Being a licensed repairer and installing parts that could have a dicey history is not something to do if you want to stay out of trouble.

For the private owner there are still some places like the ones listed to get the items they need but for licensed collision shops it's different.

Last edited:
No concern so far if you want to keep car driving but the parts do have their price tag.

I thought I read a post on here a while back saying they are no longer making the side windows. Wouldn't make it un-drive able but would be a pain.

I can't go the used route very often it has to be from a verified source. Being a licensed repairer and installing parts that could have a dicey history is not something to do if you want to stay out of trouble.

For the private owner there are still some places like the ones listed to get the items they need but for licensed collision shops it's different.

Joe, I'm curious- what is a "verified source"? Presumably a wrecking yard that acquires a totaled NSX has the title, proof of transfer and the VIN. Can't they verify which parts come off of which car? Or is it more complicated than that? Do they also have to verify that there is no damage to the part? I can see where that would get dicey. I've followed your posts over the years and am curious about the issue- I remember you faced this problem with the passenger airbag on the Zanardi, for example.

Joe, I'm curious- what is a "verified source"? Presumably a wrecking yard that acquires a totaled NSX has the title, proof of transfer and the VIN. Can't they verify which parts come off of which car? Or is it more complicated than that? Do they also have to verify that there is no damage to the part? I can see where that would get dicey. I've followed your posts over the years and am curious about the issue- I remember you faced this problem with the passenger airbag on the Zanardi, for example.

Verified source : Not stolen. Licensed salvage yard, not a private person operating as a unlicensed dismantler. That's what the State's concern is. They want to prevent the selling stolen parts.

The idea that the seller has been on a forum, is considered cool and, thinks they know the cars real history is not the standard.

With the prices skyrocketing in the recent years too many questionable cars have been brought from the backyard to the road again which would never have made it with the pricing 10 years ago. Hence the lack of used parts -> the lack of new parts.

Keeping it on the road was not a problem until now. A (heavy) crash sets you back in several aspects but a car with structural damage is a write-off as there's plenty of choice out there. Let the insurance pay it out and go with the next toy.

For people worrying about shipping damage of fragile parts: try isicar.com. Their packaging is 2-5 times the dimension of the part itself, never seen such a good packaging before. Their website states: "any size".

Verified source : Not stolen. Licensed salvage yard, not a private person operating as a unlicensed dismantler. That's what the State's concern is. They want to prevent the selling stolen parts.

The idea that the seller has been on a forum, is considered cool and, thinks they know the cars real history is not the standard.

Got it. Thanks!

This was one of my concern when I almost sold my car. Does anyone know if I can get NSX OEM parts from Hong Kong's Dealership? I often travel to Hong Kong but never looked into it. I will continue to support Mita, ATR, Amayama, like others have mentioned while I am at the States.

Honda celebrated their 50th anniversary in Japan in which they showed a newly available updated bumper/front end for the S2000 (because of its 20th anniversary). They also asked the S2000 community on Twitter/Facebook to submit requests for parts that they would like reproduced. Too bad they can't do the same for the NSX.

Back