• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AZ NSXers: who's going to NSXPO?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. Am I going to have to drive alone, or is somebody cruising with me?

Originally couldn't, Laura and I were supposed to go on a Barcelona-St.Tropez-Cannes-MonteCarlo-Italy-Elba-Rome cruise, but, rescheduled for April '13. Checking finances to see if I can swing it (Laura heavily interviewing following job loss 6/1)... -QD

If I go, I'll probably drive out Wed morning from here.
But then again, if I am driving alone out from here, I will prolly not go.
So... who's all leaving on Wed? :tongue:

Tim, good luck to Laura on the interview!

Kem and I are talking about going, we might go to Abq the night before and visit friends on the way up, will you be going that route or up thru Grand Junction?

I haven't look at routes at all. Hopefully we can get some suggestions from people who have driven to Colorado before.

Have client commitments so I won't make this one unless my workload changes

If I were going, I'd want to drive up past 4 corners through Durango and do the scenic drive across Colorado.

Either way, find some time to go to Estes Park, CO - Nice place

17 to 40 to 25 can be faster although its boring slab...

Hope you all can make it. We have lunch planned in Estes Park on Friday for NSXPO.

When I picked up my car from SOS a few years ago, I drove this route. I did it in one day (with a co-driver), which was pretty grueling. I'd suggest an overnight stop in Cortez or Telluride. Beautiful country in southwest Colorado, great roads too.

So what day you guys plan on driving back to AZ?

If I go, I am planning to drive back sunday sep 16th. I still have not signed up but will decide prior to the 17th when the price goes up. I just realized it is almost 800miles one way!:eek:

So what day you guys plan on driving back to AZ?
I'm planning to leave after the Tebo Car Museum Tour on Sunday, 9/16. I've requested Monday 9/17 off from work, so I'll probably make the return drive in two days.

Hope you all can make it. We have lunch planned in Estes Park on Friday for NSXPO.

When I picked up my car from SOS a few years ago, I drove this route. I did it in one day (with a co-driver), which was pretty grueling. I'd suggest an overnight stop in Cortez or Telluride. Beautiful country in southwest Colorado, great roads too.
Thanks Will. Is that route better than taking the 160 all the way, which is what Google maps comes up with?

We also need to find a place to stay overnight that has safe parking for our NSXs. Here's one possibility: http://www.kellyplace.com but need to do more research. I've emailed them to ask about parking conditions.

If I go, I am planning to drive back sunday sep 16th. I still have not signed up but will decide prior to the 17th when the price goes up. I just realized it is almost 800miles one way!:eek:

Google says 14hr drive. Yikes!

I'm planning to leave after the Tebo Car Museum Tour on Sunday, 9/16. I've requested Monday 9/17 off from work, so I'll probably make the return drive in two days.

If I do end up going I think I will leave like Thursday like 5am and get their around dinner time. I have to work on that Monday so I would probably leave early Sunday morning and skip out on the car museum.

Vivek...if you are up to driving there non-stop with me on that Thursday and driving home Sunday, it would make my decision easier. :biggrin:

Just saw that the planned drive is going to be Trail Ridge Road.

That's gonna be one seriously memorable drive.

Dammit, now I wanna go... gotta think about it

Google says 14hr drive. Yikes!

If I do end up going I think I will leave like Thursday like 5am and get their around dinner time. I have to work on that Monday so I would probably leave early Sunday morning and skip out on the car museum.

Vivek...if you are up to driving there non-stop with me on that Thursday and driving home Sunday, it would make my decision easier. :biggrin:

Mike, I have requested wednesday off and was plannign on leaving that morning. I dont have problem leaving early sunday morning and driving non stop. I have to work monday as well.

Alternative:

...for those going or considering going to NSXPO 2012

Reliable Transport round trip = $1200
(per car pricing for a 6 car private semi - RT Phoenix to Boulder)

The private semi guarantees arrival/departure date & time
Saves about 30 hours of driving, 1600+ in RT mileage

A round trip flight, PHX to DEN, is about $200 on Southwest right now

-
one way out or back is ~$600 (assuming 6 cars are in the truck)

I've driven PHX-DEN twice.

First time, February 2011 in my Legend.

https://drivetofive.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/choo-choo-trains/

co_state_line.jpg

Second time, (technically to a little bit east of DEN), July 2012 in my ILX.

https://drivetofive.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/day-2-omaha-nebraska/

colorado.jpg

Both times, I took I-17 north from PHX to I-40, then I-40 east to ABQ, and I-25 north on into Colorado. The drive to ABQ is just under 7 hours from here. Now, depending on what time you break away from Phoenix (assuming you're taking interstate) you may want to pit stop in ABQ for the night. If not, head another < 1 hour north on 25 to Santa Fe. Nice town. Plus, if you head out early the next morning it's a GORGEOUS drive through the pines of northern New Mexico at sunrise (you'll see pics on my blog).

I-25 through central Colorado is very flat and there's not a ton to see. Now, if I had lots more time to spare I'd say the backroads route would be a blast. The Four Corners / Monument Valley area of NE Arizona and SE Utah is one of my favorite regions in the country to travel. This was a trip from 2008 when I took my 1994 Legend (which then had over 330,000 miles on it) on a 14-mile dirt road through the reservation.

Pics here:

http://drivetofive.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/monument-valley/

good2-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, Tyson! I've been to Monument Valley before, and it was pretty cool.

The route that WillErickson posted seems like fun in an NSX. I received feedback regarding Kelly Place, and it sounds like we may need to find alternative accommodations if we do that route:

Road G is a paved road. The 1-mile driveway to Kelly Place from Road G is unpaved, packed gravel/dirt road (single lane with some pull-outs for dealing with on-coming vehicles).

Vandalism is not a problem whatsoever. There is ample parking, so door dings would not be likely either.

However, you might be concerned about the lack of concrete or asphalt. The other potential issue is that not all parking areas are shaded, so if it is in a hot summer month, you may need some sort of sun protection.

I might consider this option on the way there.
So one way $600, and drive back..

Alternative:

...for those going or considering going to NSXPO 2012

Reliable Transport round trip = $1200
(per car pricing for a 6 car private semi - RT Phoenix to Boulder)

The private semi guarantees arrival/departure date & time
Saves about 30 hours of driving, 1600+ in RT mileage

A round trip flight, PHX to DEN, is about $200 on Southwest right now

-
one way out or back is ~$600 (assuming 6 cars are in the truck)

Back