• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

B-Pillar Removal Thoughts?

Hi all, I was looking through the service manual and it only had a single page of the removal process for the side pillar above the door.

That being said, has anyone ever attempted to do this? If so how hard is it realistically and what problems may I run into? My reason for removal is I want to get them repainted since one side has some bad oxidation and the other has some scratches.

Thoughts?

And thanks in advance for the 411.

Ed

PS I checked the site in the DIY section and didn't find any info, so no flames please haha. :tongue::wink::biggrin:

1st, it is not easy job but is is not bad anyhow. It's depending on your skills.

It will take some time to take it of. First you have to take some parts off inside of your car, like interioir pillars and covers, seat belts and then few srews. One of last 3 bolts what you have to take off before you can take b-pillars out of your car is almost pain. IMO.

There should be some topic for this, but I'm too lazy to search it just now because Im going to sleep. Maybe you should just try something like b-pillars. Hope this help anyhow.

Thanks for tip. I found the thread under owner discussions instead of DIY. I will ponder the project over the weekend, but it sound like it can be a pain....maybe...:smile:

PAIN PAIN PAIN, Had to remove mine, thought I got all the bolts nope,, ended up bending the shit outta it and had to bend the thing back and it still sticks out,, Not good at all,, but the Last bolt is at the very top,, after you peeled the interior piece back if you use a flash light you can barely see the last bolt,, all the way at the top, I think its an 8mm deep socket, once all the bolts are out there is this stupid hook thing that hooks into the top of the roof,, if you have a coupe, targa I think would be a little easier

It absolutely SUCKS. I tried to replace mine with carbon fiber ones. The task was such a pain that I installed the driver side and....... never swapped out the passenger side. Now I have a driver side carbon and passenger side oem haha. But no one notices and I don't care if they do.

never swapped out the passenger side. Now I have a driver side carbon and passenger side oem haha.

Hey that sounds cool.
super-267x300.jpg

Last edited:
Hey that sounds cool.
super-267x300.jpg

Tear. Cry me a river because someone didn't finish mounting the other pillar on their car.

BTW, very informative response for thread asking about pillar removal. Especially from an auto body person :rolleyes:

Oops nevermind. He's not a paying customer. My mistake.

Last edited:
It's outlined very clearly in the manual.
You really need it explained?:confused: They even have pictures shoing where the fasteners are.

You take off the interior trim piece (clips at the top, screw on the bottom) and then remove the two nuts that hold the garish on: one top and one on the bottom. Seems very clearly outlined in the manual. If you can't do it, pay someone or stop by my shop and I'll help you like I have scores of owners
with little problems for free.

The other option, Foggy, is to whine how "it sucks' and drive around looking like a doofus with one carbon garnish and one painted.
Not that you care.:biggrin:

Last edited:
It's outlined very clearly in the manual.
You really need it explained?:confused: They even have pictures shoing where the fasteners are.

You take off the interior trim piece (clips at the top, screw on the bottom) and then remove the two nuts that hold the garish on: one top and one on the bottom. Seems very clearly outlined in the manual. If you can't do it, pay someone or stop by my shop and I'll help you like I have scores of owners
with little problems for free.

The other option, Foggy, is to whine how "it sucks' and drive around looking like a doofus with one carbon garnish and one painted.
Not that you care.:biggrin:

If things were only as EASY as it was "clearly outlined in the manual". Apparently if the replies were read from beginning to end, the popular response is: It can be a pain. Plus the title states, "B-Pillar Removal THOUGHTS?". Not "How do I remove it?" There was NO request for an outline.

Wow, must be the paint fumes. Always like to take things personally Joe? Hilarious, "Tell the secretary you have a nsx". Why so the owner can belittle the customer in their face or behind their back because they didn't finish swapping in the other panel before they arrive at your shop? You seemed like a nice fellow when I met you not too long ago at the shop. Apparently looks can be deceiving. I'm surprised you didn't notice my mismatched smoked carbon pillar on my black nsx.

Way to go Boz.

I have had mine off twice and it's not as difficult as some would make it seem. You'll need an 8 mm deep socket for the bolts on top and bottom. Buy extra nuts as you will most likely drop a few down the pillar post. Can be done without removing tons of interior trim.

Wow, must be the paint fumes. Always like to take things personally Joe? Hilarious, "Tell the secretary you have a nsx". Why so the owner can belittle the customer in their face or behind their back because they didn't finish swapping in the other panel before they arrive at your shop? You seemed like a nice fellow when I met you not too long ago at the shop. Apparently looks can be deceiving. I'm surprised you didn't notice my mismatched smoked carbon pillar on my black nsx.

Way to go Boz.

I think you are the one taking it to heart and personally. You say you don't care and then you apparently do when I poke a little fun at you.
I can't understand doing a mod only halfway. Silly IMO.
I offered help you with it in my last post for free and the offer stands.
I don't recall meeting you or your car. What is your real name ?
By the way, we use water based paints... no fumes.:biggrin: Foggy.

Last edited:
Buy extra nuts as you will most likely drop a few down the pillar post.

Want a little trick? When you are removing the nuts, when you get to the end and it's almost off, place a magnet on the side of the socket, on the end, by the nut and when it comes off it won't fall into the car. It stays with the socket .

Use one of those magnets that have a telescoping shaft.
Magnetic%20Pick-Up%20Tool.jpg

No more dropping. I do this when ever there is the potential for hardware to drop into the nether regions. :wink:

Back