• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBVNSX 93 EDM NSX - From Portugal!

Hi Bruno, outstanding job as usual.
I believe I went the same route as you by upgrading my front Brembo/Porsche front brake setup ( 38 and 44 mm pistons) with the rear BBK from Brembo with 36 and 40 mm pistons.
It would probably be a good idea now to upgrade the M/C as you did.
What's the diameter of the type R M/C compared to the OEM NSX
As I stopped racing the car it's of course all theoretical...
Rgds
John

Hello John! Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, according to my calculation we should be very close in bias! You did it with bigger piston sizes, but bias should be close! My Stoptech setup is F(34/38mm) and R(30/36mm).

How is your pedal feeling/travel? Good?

Remember if you want to upgrade master cylinder, you will have to upgrade booster too!

Unfortunately I didn't measure the diameter of the Type R M/C... :frown:

I'm an engineer, so usually theory and practice need to work together to accomplish the result :biggrin:

Hi Bruno, outstanding job as usual.
I believe I went the same route as you by upgrading my front Brembo/Porsche front brake setup ( 38 and 44 mm pistons) with the rear BBK from Brembo with 36 and 40 mm pistons.
It would probably be a good idea now to upgrade the M/C as you did.
What's the diameter of the type R M/C compared to the OEM NSX
As I stopped racing the car it's of course all theoretical...
Rgds
John

Bonus Picture:

52255556261_6f55293a16_c.jpg

Last edited:
Let me put this here, to help refresh you memory about the weight variance on my post about it (you will understand later):

So in the end the full Stoptech Trophy BBK upgrade (4 corners with parking brake dedicated calipers) comes at:

F(-4,74 Kg) + R(+5,36 Kg) = +0,62 Kg (+1,37 lbs) :frown: But I think it is more than worth it!

And remember I still have to do the math on the NSX-R Booster and Master!

Now lets compare the weights of OEM NSX / OEM NSX-R master cylinder and Booster!

Starting with Master Cylinder!

OEM NSX Master Cylinder:

52251428453_b3500077fb_z.jpg

OEM NSX-R Master Cylinder:

52251411896_e7ec54c862_z.jpg

So updating the Master to NSX-R spec results in: -1,01 Kg + 0,86 Kg = -0,15 Kg (-0,33 lbs) :D

Booster time now!

OEM NSX Booster:

52251912080_b9e4a7824d_z.jpg

OEM NSX-R Master Booster:

52251695709_619e5b4a12_z.jpg

So updating the Booster to NSX-R spec results in: -3,67 Kg + 3,20 Kg = -0,47 Kg (-1,04 lbs) :D

And now for the funy part!!! :D:D:D

Total weight savings when updating Master Cylinder and Booster are:

-0,15 Kg - 0,47 Kg = -0,62 Kg (-1,37 lbs) :D You remember the weight I gained with the full BBK? Exactly 0,62 Kg (1,37 lbs) :eek::D:D:D:p

So, in the end, my brake upgrade when considering Stoptech BBK and NSX-R Master Cylinder + Booster results in 0,00 Kg (0,00 lbs) gains!!!! :cool:

Of course there is rotational and unsprung weight variances! But in the end I'm quite happy the scale won't feel it! :D:D

If we have in mind the massive weight savings the ABS module upgrade brings, -6,60 Kg (-14,55 lbs) , I would say math is working our way with good margin!

As usual, I will do a review on the full brake setup later!

Last edited:
Hi Bruno how are you? I am Remi from Spain

one question, do you have the original Oem references :

-OEM NSX-R Master Cylinder
-OEM NSX-R Master Booster:

I have made the almost total conversion of 2002 type R, I changed the brake module and others parts, but I did not fall into these parts, I am encouraged and I will do it later

Regards

Hey Remi! :biggrin:

here the part numebers:

02 NSX-R master cyl (46100-SL0-N12)
02 NSX-R booster (46400-SL0-N11)

Hi Bruno how are you? I am Remi from Spain

one question, do you have the original Oem references :

-OEM NSX-R Master Cylinder
-OEM NSX-R Master Booster:

I have made the almost total conversion of 2002 type R, I changed the brake module and others parts, but I did not fall into these parts, I am encouraged and I will do it later

Regards

Nice to see some action from our Europa friends!

Many thanks Bruno!!

maybe in a few months I will be encouraged to assemble these pieces to complete the conversion :wink:

Hey Remi! :biggrin:

here the part numebers:

02 NSX-R master cyl (46100-SL0-N12)
02 NSX-R booster (46400-SL0-N11)

You know me... I'm always looking for some weight savings! so I decided to go after some more savings!

First I installed a 95+ starter motor, here the pictures with weight comparision:

91-94 Starter motor:

95+ starter motor:

Lets do the math: (-4,73 Kg)+(3,82 Kg) = -0,91 Kg (-2,01 lbs) :biggrin:

To be continued... 😉

Last edited:
it matches exactly the datas I had about these ( 4,75kg vs 3,80kg )

That’s pretty cool, is there any functional differences between the two starters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In addition to being awesome, this is one of the best threads on Prime for owners interested in weight reduction. I had no idea the starters were different.

it matches exactly the datas I had about these ( 4,75kg vs 3,80kg )

:wink:

That’s pretty cool, is there any functional differences between the two starters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't feel any differences starting the car! It starts the car the same way :biggrin:

In addition to being awesome, this is one of the best threads on Prime for owners interested in weight reduction. I had no idea the starters were different.

Thanks Honcho! :cool:

Next it was time for me to do a refresh on my alternator! I decided to replace the internal components, because since I'm using a LiFePo4 Battery for some years now, a good working alternator is quite important! 😉

I was looking for a lightweight alternator pulley for some years... but couldn't find one with the OEM dimension... ended asking a shop to machine one for me out of 6061 Aluminium!

This was the result:

OEM:

6061 Aluminium:

Math: (-0,26 Kg)+(0,10 Kg) = -0,16 Kg (-0,35 lbs) :D Rotational weight!

I always thought a black alternator would look nice, so I ended finding a shop that guaranted me they could paint the alternator with high temp paint that would last, here the result ( I also painted the outside face of the pulley):

Before:

After:

Those two pictures are not good for weight comparision bcause the plastic cover and bolts are missing on the first picture 😉

And here the finished product installed! hope you like it as much as I like it :cool:

More to come! ;)

Last edited:
I Already had CF Radiator Brackets, but I decided I wanted something even more close to OEM in shape, here you can see OEM vs CF flat design vs CF OEM shape:

Weight savings are: (-023 Kg) + (0,06 Kg) = -0,17 Kg (-0,37 lbs) :D

Here you can see old, flat brackets:

Here the new ones! Love them!:

Also used some aluminium bolts to save a few more grams and enhance the look!

As you can see from the last post I Installed a CF radiator plate to help with cooling and looks :cool:

I can't find the picture for this CF plate, but will share weight when I find it :confused:

Last edited:
Such efforts for little details like these mounts : I really do appreciate ♥
What's up with the car lately ? any more weight savings ?

Such efforts for little details like these mounts : I really do appreciate ♥
What's up with the car lately ? any more weight savings ?

Thanks! 😃

I do have quite some mods going on the car at the moment! with more weight savings and some aero upgrades! I will update when the car is finished! But car will keep it's "OEM+" look! ;)

I like that radiator plate, with that opening for the water tank. Where did you get it ? I suppose you put the stickers on it yourself, looks OEM like indeed :)

I used a Garage Kite as base, than replicated it and did a custom CF part! Stickers I ordered new ones from Honda 😉

Back