• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best amp/amps?

Which amp or amps are best for running a floor sub box with a 8 inch speaker (sealed box)., and a pair of 6.5 speakers? One amp should be enough for this set up, if powerful enough and multi channeled right? I need you experiece and ideas please...thank Brent:D P.S I will be trying to work with the factory headunit/radio

I run 3 XTant i1.1's

Specs are 100watts RMS x 1, Class D(igital)

Got great reviews, see here http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0308cae_xtant/

They are run to the MB Quart 6 1/2 + Tweeters in the door, and the JL Audio 8W3 in the floor.

I'm using an Audio Control 24XS as the crossover, because i am utilizing the stock deck. Once i decide on the radio i want it will be removed as all the canidates have built-in crossovers.

I'm debating on moving from the Quarts to some Focals or Diamonds.... The Quarts are tired, and the new batches that are available for sale just dont sound as good as they used to (Q.C. going down?? i dunno). The only Quarts that sounded the way they should retail for like 1200 YIKES!

Another nice amp is the Xtant X603, its 75x2+150x1 with xovers built in...... I was considering this one, but went with the mono-blocks because i got them for $150 each!!! (retailed for $350 each)

-Ray

Texas91Brent said:
... P.S I will be trying to work with the factory headunit/radio
I think you are limiting your ultimate capability with the OEM head unit. Also considering you are looking at some higher end speakers in your other thread, I think you may be disappointed with the net result.
You're really making a vague question though - when you say what is the best, do you mean the best at a given budget? What is your total budget for speakers & amp & it will be easier to give you relative guidance.

Thanks for the info, I am open to all ideas..cost is not a real issue.quality is most important. I like music at a decent level,not booming bass loud stuff.I sometimes crank it a little but most of the time iI won't..Bottom line, I would like the most bang for the buck, but not sacrifice quality...I think you can have both.....

Re: Re: Best amp/amps?

D'Ecosse said:
I think you are limiting your ultimate capability with the OEM head unit. Also considering you are looking at some higher end speakers in your other thread, I think you may be disappointed with the net result.
You're really making a vague question though - when you say what is the best, do you mean the best at a given budget? What is your total budget for speakers & amp & it will be easier to give you relative guidance.

What's wrong with factory head unit?

Alot.... or for me atleast.

The whole reason i was upgrading was that the passengers door speaker sounded really muffled. Sounded like i had a pillow over the speaker, so i guessed that the bose amp was going bad and decided to use it as an excuse to put my left over MB quarts in and buy those xtant amps i've been eye'n forever.

Install everything, same problem GRRRRRR! Swap RCA cables on the amp, and the muffled sound goes to the other side. So it was the deck.

Oh yeah the crackling sound i heard that i though was coming from the amp was the CD changer..... weird. I replaced the changer with the factory changer the used to be in the integra i had and it fixed that problem.

But i can definitely hear now that the factory deck has gotta go. I'm just debating on the Pioneer AVIC-N1 or just grabing a Sony CDX-F7705X. I like the pioneer because of it being everything in-1, buti dont know if i would did the flip out screen in the nsx, the sony is simple and basic, and has that aluminum look also. Plus i love volume knobs..... i had having to tap the volum buttons all the time, or having to repeted touch the screen to turn down the volume...... I like to listen to my music at a good volume, but turn it down at traffic lights so as not to annoy the person next to me.

OK, i'm still drunk and blabering.... good night everyone.

-Ray

Texas91Brent said:
Thanks for the info, I am open to all ideas..cost is not a real issue.quality is most important. I like music at a decent level,not booming bass loud stuff.I sometimes crank it a little but most of the time iI won't..Bottom line, I would like the most bang for the buck, but not sacrifice quality...I think you can have both.....
You will get the most "bang for buck" with the head unit & speakers; even lower priced amps are extremely good these days with the technology available.
However, that doesn't mean there aren't discernible differences - you need to pick a matched set of components, where each brings out the best relatively.
Just from an amplifier persepctive. on their own merits, here are some suggestions:

"Money no object" category-

Tru Technology

Brax

Zapco

"Intermediate" category-

Arc Audio

Phoenix Gold

DLS Ultimate

"Value" category-

Hifonics ZEUS

Xtant

MTX

D'Ecosse said:
You will get the most "bang for buck" with the head unit & speakers; even lower priced amps are extremely good these days with the technology available.
However, that doesn't mean there aren't discernible differences - you need to pick a matched set of components, where each brings out the best relatively.
Just from an amplifier persepctive. on their own merits, here are some suggestions:

"Money no object" category-

Tru Technology

Brax

Zapco

"Intermediate" category-

Arc Audio

Phoenix Gold

DLS Ultimate

"Value" category-

Hifonics ZEUS

Xtant

MTX

Thanks , you are one helluva resource on nsx stereo info. Maybe they should rename the section "D'Ecosse stereo info"....

Back