• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Best place to buy a helmet in the bay area?

I signed up for a trackmasters session next week at Laguna Seca and need to get a helmet. I really want to buy it in-person (not enough time and also want to try it on). I'm in Monterey and expect to head up to the Bay Area. I'm thinking of going to Helmet City in Oakland, but am looking for recommendations and good/bad experiences. Thanks in advance for any help.

+1 Helmet City (make sure you get a chance to try on the helmet of your choice prior to ordering online)

Larry's right!!! Thumbs up for Helmet City... bought my helmet there for my first Trackmaster Event. Went in there with the idea of getting an open face helmet, ended up leaving with a full face!!! :biggrin:

I signed up for a trackmasters session next week at Laguna Seca and need to get a helmet. I really want to buy it in-person (not enough time and also want to try it on). I'm in Monterey and expect to head up to the Bay Area. I'm thinking of going to Helmet City in Oakland, but am looking for recommendations and good/bad experiences. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have bought 3 from Whine Country Motorsports. They are good but a bit of a drive for you. I have always bought them when I am up for a track event at Sears.

I'll be at Laguna on Wed. See you there.

Later,
Don

Thanks so far for the comments....

Anyone have feedback on this helmet:

Bell Sport Full Face Helmet
http://www.winecountrymotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=610
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/autosnellsa/2004356

Price is pretty much the same at Helmet City or Wine country - $259.

I don't expect to be tracking that often, but then again, if ppl have negative comments about this helmet, I'm willing to spend more (there was a lot of selection around the $399 range). Main thing I'm going for is comfort and reliable brand. I'm assuming open face is just a bad idea - but would love to hear any specific comments.

Last - I need to be able to actually buy this helmet on Tuesday since the event is Wed morning. Can anyone confirm if Helmet City does retail at the Oakland location or am I limited to online ordering once I try it on?

..and yes, I do know that they have loaner helmets, but I figure I will do this more than once, so might as well get my own and be comfortable/safe!

Wine Country Motorsports at Infineon Raceway has a good selection. But wherever you go, try on the helmet before you buy. Comfort is paramount!

Ok - so here's the good/bad about Helmet City:

The Good:
If you know what you want, and trust your size, they have great selection and price.

The Bad:
They have almost NO HELMETS in stock, nor are they set up to do retail. They are really an internet business. I drove all the way to Oakland and was not able to even try on ANY auto helmet, let alone buy one.

They Good:
They referred me to Ken @ IO Port in Lafayette. He had lots of helmets in stock, was VERY helpful, and had lots of other cool stuf besides helmets. I ended up geting a Bell M4 for $379, plus other goodies.

My conclusion:

Unless you know already know what you want, or maybe live closer to Wine Country than I do - go to IO Port!

Here's the web site for IO Port: www.ioportracing.com

The owner, Ken, is a 20 year vet of racing and an instructor/coach for NASA racing/HPDE events. I highly recommend this place. Be prepared that the business is in a residence, but trust me...you'll be impressed with the stock and his knowledge.

Last edited:
Back