• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Resale Color for an NSX?

I'm considering buying a new '02 NSX and driving it for a few years. What color would tend to be the best for resale: Red, Yellow, Black or Silver? All of these colors are available to me from various dealers. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

The best color for resale would probably be Silver.

Originally posted by Rococo:
I'm considering buying a new '02 NSX and driving it for a few years. What color would tend to be the best for resale: Red, Yellow, Black or Silver? All of these colors are available to me from various dealers. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

------------------
www.acrmotorsports.com / 949-929-8973

I would say that a rare color would probably get you more money. Someone who loves a particular rare color may be willing to pay extra for that color.

The down side is that your potential buyer base may be more limited as not everyone likes those rarer colors.

So I think a rarer color may get you more dollars, but it may take you longer to find a suitable buyer.

SILVER, SILVER< SILVER, Silver.
You get my point???

Silver and black, as a rule always are better resale colors. Green, Blue, White, are the kiss of death.

This doesnt mean that those colors are not nice, it just seems that they sit longer before selling.

In the long run, get what you'll enjoy the most, as long as its silver or black!!

smile.gif

Steve
91 NSX, Black (never selling it)
01 MDX Silver
02 M3 SMG, Silver

Don't know about NSX's in general, but in my opinion for an '02 NSX, the imola orange, which is exclusive to the '02+ NSXs might be worth a shot. It seems to be a favorite in japan.

Ryan

I haven't seen any color for which the production numbers are so out of synch with demand that there is a substantial premium or discount in price for any particular color. I would guess that the '97+ Spa Yellow Pearl and the '97-99 Monte Carlo Blue Pearl (and, for 2002, the Long Beach Blue Pearl) might be ever so slightly easier to sell, and the '94-95 Midnight Pearl and Brooklands Green Pearl might be ever so slightly more difficult to sell. But we're not talking huge differences. Buy the color you like best.

Marin Acura (Marin) and Mike Harvey Acura (Burlingame) have the Long Beach Blue Pearl/ Blue Interior NSX. Marin Acura just sold 2 NSX (Yellow and Blue)about 2 weeks ago. In the past, Yellow and Blue colors have more resale value.

Am I missing something in here .........
confused.gif

Doesn't the interior color make a difference? Tastes are very personal but, have you seen a silver and ivory ....., or spa yellow with tan, or white with tan .....
eek.gif

We even had a scenario where one person bought a brand new NSXs only after the dealer agreed to change the interior to tan before the cars left the showroom ....... YMMV

Ken (nsxtasy) makes a great point that I feel is universal to practically all spending, especially on the NSX. Buy what makes YOU happy.

If you're buying the car soley for resale purposes you're making a bad purchasing decision. A car is a poor investment.

If however you're buying an NSX to enjoy for yourself, then your decision making process couldn't be more perfect!

Ken (Chops),

I agree, this is NOT an investment, though in some cases, some of us have been known to sell higher than purchase price, but that's a different story.

It makes me think the popular joke of: How do you make a million dollars in cars?
Start with two million.

Kevin

hey steve, how ya been???

why do you think silver and black? i dont disagree with you, youd definately know better than most of us here. just curious why you think this plays out this way?

for an exotic id think red and yellow.

Originally posted by huckster:
hey steve, how ya been???

why do you think silver and black? i dont disagree with you, youd definately know better than most of us here. just curious why you think this plays out this way?

for an exotic id think red and yellow.

Yes, I too am interested in your thoughts on this, Steve.

When you say silver and black, are you referring to all cars? I would think these might be the hot sellers on luxury cars like Benz and BMW. Or are you referring to Ferraris and NSX and such? I'm with huckster betting on red and yellow for exotic sports cars.

For NSX Best: Silver, Yellow, Red.
Worst: Green, Midnight Pearl, Monaco Blue

Luxury Cars Best: Silver, Black
Worst: Green, Reds

See a theme in the best and worst colors? Silver always does well. Green is the damn hardest thing to sell for a highline car. As Steve put it "the kiss of death". A green Accord is one thing, but a green Benz, whoa! This just holds for the general public. There are always a few and far between that love any of these colors and will pay a premium for them. These are the ones who buy a car to make themselves happy and are not concerned about resale value based on color. That is the way that I feel people should buy a sports car. Unless of course, you really don't care about the color at all.
cool.gif

Interesting question. Prior to buying my '97 NSXT, I posed the same question to three people; a local Acura Salesman I know, a veteran salesman from Greenwich Acura (largest volume NSX sales dealership), and Jackson of Jackson Racing.

They were all in agreement and here is what they said: The best resales color BY FAR is RED. This was not a guess, but backed up by time to sell and resell. The next was BLACK, and third was SILVER. The responses were interesting in that Greenwich typically sells 3 times as many red cars in the same time frame as all the other colors, but for some reason, black cars go quickly if they have a tan (camel) interior. Black on black tend to sit on the lot or in seller's garages longer than almost any color combo EXCEPT yellow, which by the way is virtually impossible to get rid of according to the Nalley Acura Salesman I purchased my black NSX from. He has been with Nalley for about 9 years and had sold between 8-10 NSX's.

------------------

I haven't seen any low mile, CLEAN blue 6-speed NSXs that were hard to sell. I had a heck of a time finding the one I have now! I WISH they were easier to find, as I spent a ton of time in my search. Any of the blues and either black or tan interior seem to sell well if they have a manual transmission and no "history". I am speaking only of the general market here - I suspect mine would talke a little longer to sell because it is quite modified which always narrows the list of potential buyers.

Sebring Silver is a premium color for the NSX as well. A nice clean Sebring car typically sells for a premium from what I've seen.

Red and Black are always easy sells because those are the colors most people seem to prefer.

Yellow is a premium color for the '97+ cars from what I have seen. I am surprised a dealer had trouble moving one unless they were asking too much money. But then one car here or there is always going to deviate from the norm.

Green, purple, white and some of the darker silvers seem to be a little more difficult to find the right buyer for, and I've seen people discount the price to compensate for that, as with autos.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 12 September 2002).]

My $.02: Red and yellow only really work for cars with low waist lines and some curves, ie, NSX, most Ferrari's and C5 vettes. Silver and other metallic colors look best on cars with higher waistlines and fewer curves. I've determined this after puzzling why the S2000 looks less appealing in red and yellow, but fabulous in silver and Suzuka Blue. Black looks good on almost anything but few cars have the sexiness to pull off red or yellow like the NSX.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Yes, I too am interested in your thoughts on this, Steve.

When you say silver and black, are you referring to all cars? I would think these might be the hot sellers on luxury cars like Benz and BMW. Or are you referring to Ferraris and NSX and such? I'm with huckster betting on red and yellow for exotic sports cars.

I am talking about ALL cars, in general.
Of course different makes will do better with some colors than others, but the common theme as shown by ck.
I cant think of any make that doesnt sell well in silver or black.
some cars, such as Ferrari, vette, NSX etc will do well in red, and yellow, but I'm betting not as well as black or silver.with the exception of the Ferrari, or the NSX.
Low wide exotics do well in red, the rest really dont, Even red or yellow Porsches are hard movers from what Ive seen.

Again, the common theme stands, GET WHAT YOU LIKE!!

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG

I really wanted silver/black but ended up purchasing red/black due to condition. In my mind the condition outweights almost any color. In your case, since you are purchasing new I would think that any of the colors you listed would be fine, ergo, purchase the one that pleases you the most.

Back