• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Resale Color for an NSX?

I've always liked the way yellow, white, or silver help contrast the well designed rear tail lights and spoiler light.

Under lighted conditions, red seems to blend the body color and rear lights making it difficult to see the signature spoiler design.

Originally posted by ck:
For NSX Best: Silver, Yellow, Red.
Worst: Green, Midnight Pearl, Monaco Blue

Luxury Cars Best: Silver, Black
Worst: Green, Reds

See a theme in the best and worst colors? Silver always does well. Green is the damn hardest thing to sell for a highline car. As Steve put it "the kiss of death". A green Accord is one thing, but a green Benz, whoa! This just holds for the general public. There are always a few and far between that love any of these colors and will pay a premium for them. These are the ones who buy a car to make themselves happy and are not concerned about resale value based on color. That is the way that I feel people should buy a sports car. Unless of course, you really don't care about the color at all.
cool.gif
This I would probably agree with.. WWW.MYNSX.COM

Originally posted by SJJ28:
Even red or yellow Porsches are hard movers from what Ive seen.

Nobody wants a Red Porsche! They may have been hot in the 80's, but red is probably the least popular for Porsche these days. It's too cliche.

I would think Acura did research on NSX's color popularity and produced accordingly. The U.S. figures for 1991 thru 1998 are Red 3304 (44%), Black 2537 (34%), Silver 561 (8%), White 444 (6%), Green 260 (4%), Yellow 143 (2%), Purple 87 (1%), Blue 56 (1%). I would believe resale would correlate with these percentages.

[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 13 September 2002).]

Interesting discussion. Sorry to see it abandoned so soon.

Don't like the NSX in green, white or black. The older silver does nothing for me but the newer silverstone is nice. Red is nice, but too common (if any NSX can be considered common) for me. I actually like the midnight pearl, love the blues and the yellow.

I had a '98 Yellow and loved it. Had no problem selling it. Now I'm wondering about an Orange one.

A friend of mine is a high-line dealer (who's really in the doldrums right now) and he's told me in the past that black and silver are the 2 best selling colors for expensive cars. Red is next, but only for "sporty" type cars, not, e.g. Mercedes CLK, CL, S, etc. (ever see a CL500/600 in Red ?)

According to Rococo, there are only 3 Orange NSX in the U.S.

Kind of "chicken and egg" stuff. Are there only 3 because nobody wants the Orange or are there only 3 because Acura "research" indicated it would/might be a poor selling color so they only made a few of them ?

I hate the older green NSX and there were (relatively) few made. Which was it ? Poor demand for the color or Acura new going in it wouldn't be a big seller ?

So I agree somewhat with others. If you are going to shell out these kind of bucks for a car you love get the color combination you love. OTOH, I'd hate to want (or have) to get my money back when selling the car only to find out I had to take a "big hit" pricewise to get rid of it.

[This message has been edited by NSX-GUY (edited 16 October 2002).]

best resale color, who cares? I wouldn't buy a car so it pleases the person I may sell it to someday. Buy the car so it pleases you now. You may never sell the car, so why select a color for it's resale value.

JMNSHO

Fritz

PS Check out my new avatar, buy white!!!!

You guys missed the discussion.

This guy started this thread pretending to be an NSX enthusiast while his true intention was to gauge market demand for particular colors (he is a car dealer).

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
You guys missed the discussion.

This guy started this thread pretending to be an NSX enthusiast while his true intention was to gauge market demand for particular colors (he is a car dealer).

This does this not surprise me, given the history of past posts
frown.gif

It just goes to show you that many of you think you know it all, and in reality, you don't!! I don't know how you deciphered that I was a dealer, but I am not. I bought this car brand new from Niello Acura in Sacramento as I was thoroughly excited to own a new 2002 Imola Orange. I knew I was only going to keep it a few years and they were also selling a silver and red one. I was curious what the majority of you felt about resale color. Unfortunately, a few weeks after I bought this, my third vehicle threw a timing belt and need thousands of dollars in repairs. Rather than put more money into a car I really didn't want to keep, I decided to sell my '02 Imola Orange while it was still in new condition and would be most desirable to another fellow NSX enthusiast. Thanks to all of you on the forum, you have tainted the sale and I still have it. I absolutely love the car and may reconsider selling it. I love the fact that it is the only Orange/black 2002 NSX in the country. How many of us have to chance to drive a truly one-of-a-kind vehicle. I was so excited when I bought this that I added my new user name of "Imola" as I couldn't figure out how to change my existing name. I have many words of advice for all of you who think you have it all figured out, but I will keep it simple and only say that there's more to life than what appears on the surface. I figure I have it great either way, if I keep it I have a spectacular one-of-a-kind NSX, and if I sell it, I have the pleasure knowing that someone else will cherish this one-of-a-kind NSX. Please everyone, try not to jump to so many incorrect conclusions.

[This message has been edited by Rococo (edited 17 October 2002).]

Originally posted by Rococo:
...Unfortunately, a few weeks after I bought this, my third vehicle threw a timing belt and need thousands of dollars in repairs. Rather than put more money into a car I really didn't want to keep, I decided to sell my '02 Imola Orange while it was still in new condition and would be most desirable to another fellow NSX enthusiast.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. In any case, just curious to know...why did you buy a new 2002, knowing that you had no intention in keeping it?

Thanks for the understanding. I did plan on driving this for a few years and I love the changes on the '02. I feel the car looks much more comtemporary than the 2001 and older versions. The changes on the front and rear are superb in my opinion and bring the car up to date. I drove the car today for the first time in a week and just smiled when I was viewing it from a distance.

So Rococo, you admit to being a liar. In your first post you said you were considering buying an '02, when in fact that is totally false because now you say you already own it. I'll make sure to disregard any other questions you pose in the future.

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
So Rococo, you admit to being a liar. In your first post you said you were considering buying an '02, when in fact that is totally false because now you say you already own it. I'll make sure to disregard any other questions you pose in the future.

Again, I implore you think before you write. Look back at this post and you will see I stated I bought the 2002 Imola NSX. Exactly where was I lying? I have to admit some of my fellow NSX owners truly need to do some fact finding before they type these ridiculous and very slanderous comments. In case you missed it, here is what I wrote:

"Thanks for all of your thoughts!! It looks like I'm going to purchase the 2002 Imola Orange w/ Onyx interior!!"

I wrote this on September 15th. Check your damn facts before you call someone a liar!!!!!!

Originally posted by Rococo:
Thanks for all of your thoughts!! It looks like I'm going to purchase the 2002 Imola Orange w/ Onyx interior!!

Here is the exact posting by me in case you missed it. Looks like your slanderous comments just backfired. Do you even bother to read before you post NSX4FUN?

Just one more clarification, I bought this car new from Niello Acura in Sacramento September 16th, exactly 5 days after my original post. How in the world did you come to the conclusion I already owned it?

Rococo,

If you are indeed who you say you are (and not a dealer), then I stand corrected.

However, I do recall a lengthy discussion about you and your Imola Orange for sale on Ebay, and there were concerns from many forum members about the circumstances surrounding the sale.

There were also other instances where forum members had concerns over your integrity related to NSXs for sale.

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
Rococo,

If you are indeed who you say you are (and not a dealer), then I stand corrected.

However, I do recall a lengthy discussion about you and your Imola Orange for sale on Ebay, and there were concerns from many forum members about the circumstances surrounding the sale.

If I really was a dealer, wouldn't it have been better state so up front? I'm not sure what I would have gained by pretending to be a private party(which I am). I'm a private party car enthusiast and I thought I was quite up front with my reason for selling as listed in my ebay ad. I'm a camera hobbyist as well and sell most of my equipment on Ebay. Take a look at my ebay rating under my Ebay user name "Rococo", it speaks for itself and shows I have never defrauded anyone. It's interesting that now that I have actually owned this for a month, I'm less inclined to sell it. Maybe it was the stress of having just spent a ton of money on a brand new car only to find the same week that your other car requires a ton of money as well. Probably a case of buyer's remorse initially, but that lessoned with time and I seem to be growing even more attached to my Imola. I'm still not thrilled about throwing a ton of money in my old car so I have a vehicle to take my two young girls in, but I might just do so.

I'll be glad to go on and on regarding this topic, but wouldn't this forum be better off to put it to bed. I have nothing to hide and welcome any serious questions you might have, but it seems senseless to go on and on. If that is what it takes, I'll do it, but I imagine everyone here would rather talk about more important issues. If someone is truly interested in the car, I'm still considering selling it. I'll be glad to show all my original paperwork from Niello Acura to any prospective buyer which will prove when and where I bought it.

Not to beat a dead (?) horse, and I have e-mailed you about your Orange NSX, but I have another question.

While your explanation of what has occurred during this thread is reasonable, how do you explain the situation back a few (5/6 ?) months ago when you had a blue NSX for sale via a car dealer (on consignment-Kassabian (?)) that had a lot of paintwork (and other work) done to it.

You said you never knew about any of that work. While I personally would never spend this kind of money without at the very least a dealer inspecting it for me, some people are much better off than I. I believe you said you were a car enthusiast, not a mechanic. OK, fine.

However, you posted to this website at least twice that I saw that "there's a nice blue NSX at Kassabian, why don't you take a look at it", or words to that effect during thread(s) where someone was looking to buy an NSX.

That entire episode smacks of being at the very least somewhat disingenuous and at the very worst outright dishonest.

Care to comment ?

[This message has been edited by NSX-GUY (edited 17 October 2002).]

Well I had thought the whole thing with my Blue NSX was behind me, but obviously not. I had already consigned that car with the dealer and couldn't sell it myself and that was the only reason I didn't say it was mine. Poor judgement-- yes, dishonest, no way. As for the work on the car, I to this day don't believe the folks who nitpicked that car to death. The car ran great and I had never noticed any issues with it. It passed all Acura inspections when it sold. I'll readily admit that was poor judgement by not admitting it was my car, and as I stated above, I did so because I had a consignment agreement with the dealer that I couldn't sell it myself for a period of time. I suppose the proper thing to do was to say it was mine but I can't sell it for a month. I made a mistake and am truly sorry it tainted my standing on this forum. As for the Imola, I never tried to hide a thing, was just asking curious questions regarding color. I'm ready to start again with a new life on this forum if everyone else will give me the benefit of the doubt. Thanks!

For what reason would he buy the car new FROM a dealer, and then turn around to sell it AS a dealer a few weeks later? He obviously drove it home...and the second it leaves the showroom floor I'm sure it's worth several thousand less. I don't see any possible way for him to make any money on the deal trying to flip the car as a dealer, it just isn't logical...the dealers have hard enough time selling these cars. It's not a 360 spider...Like he said, sounds like a case of buyers remorse. Same thing has happened to me before.

Back