• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Better Exhaust Note for Turbo

So one of our beloved members is not happy with the exhaust note on the turbo. He missed how great the exhaust sounded on a NA car or an SC car.

I think he has the Magna Flow. It is very quiet.

What are some options out there for a turbo car to give it that loud exotic note that he craves?

Yes it is. the Borla has a nice rumble down low, not any more drone than my my old Teitec GTLW and was a nice wail up top. The magnaflow is pretty close to stock it's so quiet.

It was in my car with a previous turbo system. On a Lovefab system. the Burns exhaust sounded very nice. I currently have a Magnaflow on my Lovefab setup and the only thing that I am changing is the wastegate is no longer vented to atmosphere. It would sound like my car exploded when the wastegate would open.

Custom Mase Single Turbo.
If he wants dual tips,

Running a y-pipe of the turbo adding two mufflers diagonally whilst they run towards the bumper.

Although that could get loud,

A "duplex" style T muffler could work as well.

Have the turbo "down pipe" run straight to the middle.

Simons-Duplex-RVS-Einddemper-MX-5-2005-14656435.jpg

This one is rather large a smaller one (think TaiTec GTLW size) could give the desired sound

Most of the turbo systems use a single turbo which then goes into a muffler with a 1 in, 2 out setup. I met Steve in NJ and I suspect that he has a similar setup. The most common location for the turbocharger is in the right rear so an off the shelf exhaust will not fit, the exception being the SOS twin in which the turbos are in a moe conventional location off of the exhaust manifold. An interesting setup would be a Y collector from the turbo hot side to individual small cannister type mufflers. The biggest issue is that the turbocharger itself muffles the sound considerably. My first setup was the Cartech system and to see if there was significant exhaust restriction, we actually tested the car without a muffler, loud but not much worse more than with the mufflers attached (Borla).

Has he tried driving the car without a muffler to determine if it is too loud or not loud enough?

We really like running unmuffled right off the turbo.
It's quite loud at WOT, but manageble at other throttle openings.
Maybe get a Supertrapp muffler and plumb it out the back;
http://www.showandgo.com.au/Supertrapp/Supertrapp.htm?Supertrapp_bf.htm~mainFrame
That way, you can start with no diffusers in the system (straight through with minimal muffling) then if that's too much then add the diffusers to tune the sound and resonance frequencies to your taste.

Just a thought,
Brian

We really like running unmuffled right off the turbo.
It's quite loud at WOT, but manageble at other throttle openings.
Maybe get a Supertrapp muffler and plumb it out the back;
http://www.showandgo.com.au/Supertrapp/Supertrapp.htm?Supertrapp_bf.htm~mainFrame
That way, you can start with no diffusers in the system (straight through with minimal muffling) then if that's too much then add the diffusers to tune the sound and resonance frequencies to your taste.

Just a thought,
Brian

Actually you would be mistaken, it is REALLY LOUD:biggrin:

I really liked the sound of Tim's car with the Borla's, very unique. Up top it had a pretty exotic sound IMO. I've done a single exit/tip exhaust with a straight through Magnaflow and it had a totally different sound, but also very nice. A large single turbo with no muffler is too loud, it needs some sort of muffling/silencer.

The owner will likely have to experiment to find out what he likes the best.

Last edited:
Actually you would be mistaken, it is REALLY LOUD:biggrin:
Interesting Tim, because we had just that setup made for another turbo car of ours and ran it quite successfully that way!

YMMV, of course :wink:
Brian

On our Lovefab system we are running the Magnaflow. I love the sound. Not annoying loud. I ran a straight pipe on the old STMPO kit and it was just to much. Added a small muffler to it and it quieted it down just enough.

No one must have read my post on what I did to my muffler. It is by far one of the best sounding mods you can do for cheap. Just gut it. I'm officially making a you tube video so everyone knows how bad ass my set up sounds lol.

No one must have read my post on what I did to my muffler. It is by far one of the best sounding mods you can do for cheap. Just gut it. I'm officially making a you tube video so everyone knows how bad ass my set up sounds lol.

We did a run Sunday up in the mountains east of LA. On the way back we were cruising down the 210 freeway and Jason slowly rolls past me at about 80. It was wicked loud. I mean attention grabbing, begging for a ticket loud. And he was just cruising at about 3k rpms. Then he drops two gears and hammered it. Thought my head was going to explode. Stupid loud. And I have a Borla on my twin turbos. Couldn't even hear my exhaust.

We did a run Sunday up in the mountains east of LA. On the way back we were cruising down the 210 freeway and Jason slowly rolls past me at about 80. It was wicked loud. I mean attention grabbing, begging for a ticket loud. And he was just cruising at about 3k rpms. Then he drops two gears and hammered it. Thought my head was going to explode. Stupid loud. And I have a Borla on my twin turbos. Couldn't even hear my exhaust.

Even though on that drive he was always behind me I have been next to him on PCH and couldn't agree more that it's stupid loud. He's going to have hearing problems at a young age.

Even though on that drive he was always behind me I have been next to him on PCH and couldn't agree more that it's stupid loud. He's going to have hearing problems at a young age.

It's legendary!!! Pure sex. It's like that crazy 1 night stand loud haha. Jc/les, is it louder than my previous pride set up ;). I also bought a Hks bov of a friend for supppper cheap, maybe now I'll hear the bov over the muffler. If anyone wants a quick clip I took car to work today. I'll do a second gear pull and hang phone out the window or try to post on YouTube.

It's legendary!!! Pure sex. It's like that crazy 1 night stand loud haha. Jc/les, is it louder than my previous pride set up ;). I also bought a Hks bov of a friend for supppper cheap, maybe now I'll hear the bov over the muffler. If anyone wants a quick clip I took car to work today. I'll do a second gear pull and hang phone out the window or try to post on YouTube.

Link for video?

Link for video?

I'm gona go take a vid right now and link it. It will just be free reeves but better than nothing lol. On the next SoCal drive I'll get good footage with les's go pro

I got a vid. I'll edit this post later when I get home. Had to upload vid which now takes apperently 45 min on YouTube so I left it to upload.

Back