• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

big service = big cost

This is the first time I have taken my car for a service, so I thought I'll take it to a Honda dealer. I chose to do the biggest service including the cam belt. Which was around $1350. (Taken to Chiswick Honda, London UK) Now they tell me the water pump needs replacing.($1000) And front brake pads ($230 which I knew). So thats over 2500 estimate... isn't that great! I would have thought that water pump would be included in the major service... oh and they said if I want fully synthetic oil its like $100 extra. They are probably trying to get most out of me, cos even when I service my CRX many years ago I used to get fully synthetic oil without asking...

Just called up to check, and it doesn't even include tappets adjusting. Which I was told it did at the beginning, so its now $230 extra, it just get better and better!!

It doesn't even include fuel filter and spark plugs...

The water pump is often done at the same time as the timing belt. They should have caught this sooner and saved you the additional labor (labour where you live). Same with valve adjustments. I think it's time to find another dealer - one who is less interested in fleecing you.

I would not have my NSX serviced by any Honda/Acura dealer, unless there were no way to avoid it. I would only have my NSX serviced by a dealer who performs service on many NSXs, and is familiar with these complex procedures. (I would use any competent mechanic for simple services like oil changes and brake pad changes and tire mounting, but not for valve adjustments or timing belt changes.)

I understand that there are five Honda dealers in the UK who specialize in NSX service. I recommend that you only have your major NSX services performed by one of those five.

The reason the water pump is normally done at the same time as the timing belt is because so much of the labor is the same, that you may as well do both at the same time. They should have known this.

Any competent mechanic can do an oil change on an NSX. I don't know why it's so expensive there; in the States, an NSX oil change with synthetic oil and an OEM filter typically costs $40-50. Or less, if your mechanic doesn't stock the viscosity of oil that the NSX needs, and you buy it at the auto parts store for him to use.

I know, may be what I wrote was not clear. The cambelt change is not done yet, on top of that service, they are charging me $1000 for water pump and labour. So I am getting it replaced while the cambelt is replaced.

I went and clear things up a bit, and they said the parts cost for the water pump is $900, and the labour is 30 mins (additional $100 to the cambelt service). Thats really an expensive pump, does it sound right?

I believe this dealer is approved NSX dealer. This dealer is built on the site of the old Honda UK headquarters. They have 2 NSXs in the show room, and has 3 NSXs in there for servicing at the moment (including mine). Even has executives from Japan working upstairs from Honda Japan. So, supposed to be their central one...

I don't really want to travel 100 miles to another dealer though. (all the Honda dealers are gone from centre of town) This one is relatively close.

There are Lambo dealer, Ferrari dealer, Lotus dealer, Morgan dealer Jag/Aston/Bentley etc and various classic car dealers with workshops all within 5 mins from my house. I think I might ask one of those people to do services (if they have done NSXs before). When I was looking for my NSX, I asked all those places, but never had any in px.

CRX B16B VTEC said:
they said the parts cost for the water pump is $900, and the labour is 30 mins (additional $100 to the cambelt service). Thats really an expensive pump, does it sound right?

No. List price is around $200.

Roadrunner said:
You can always order your parts elsewhere and just get there
labor rates.

Not necessarily. Many dealers (and many independent mechanics) will not perform service using parts purchased elsewhere. Sometimes this is because they want to make a profit on selling the parts for their repairs; sometimes this is because they will be obligated to warranty those repairs and don't feel comfortable doing that with someone else's parts, over which they have no control for quality purposes.

Furthermore, even if they are willing to install parts purchased elsewhere, it may help build your business relationship with that dealer to purchase your parts there and give them the benefit of the profit, rather than someone else. If the cost difference is small, the benefit in good will may be worth it.

If the cost difference is large, as in this case, I would suggest asking the dealer about why their parts price is so much higher than everyone else's; perhaps they made a mistake...

Hello Asuka,

Chiswick are an NSX approved dealer. They are the Honda 'flagship' dealer as you have probably noticed. They are run by the management team at Norton Way. I paid nearly £600 for my recent cam belt service. I did not have the water pump done. They don't do it as routine, and have hardly needed to change one, so if yours did, then I guess it needed it. As for the cost well, don't know what to say about that.

You could mention the NSXCB, the NSX Club of Britain, and try and get a 10% discount. I get one from Norton Way.

Take in your own oil. I do this, again at Norton Way. Fully synthetic does not cost £100! Brake pads, well I change my own. Honda ones are expensive, I pay £80 for other brand racing pads.

If you want more costs and figures, just ask.

Hell, for £230 I'll change your brake pads!

j14nsx said:
I paid nearly £600 for my recent cam belt service. I did not have the water pump done. They don't do it as routine, and have hardly needed to change one, so if yours did, then I guess it needed it.

There are two reasons why the water pump should be changed at the same time as the timing belt. One reason is that water pumps do eventually fail, and it's almost the exact same labor to replace one as the timing belt. So you may as well do the water pump at the same time, rather than risk having to pay for that labor all over again if the water pump fails.

The other reason is that the original water pump design has the weep hole right over the timing belt, and this can cause coolant to drip onto the timing belt and cause it to deteriorate. They revised the design to extend the weep hole away from the timing belt so that this is no longer a problem.

Every experienced NSX mechanic I know recommends changing the water pump when you change the timing belt.

Yes, I agree with the theory, but after how many miles should the water pump need to be changed?

I'm a cautious person. My (1992) NSX has had the timing belt changed twice in it's life now. Once at 27k miles, and just recently at 40k. They were mainly done due to age than anything else, and because I track the car a lot, I get a little worried.

My NSX mechanic is experienced, and has been working on them since they were first introduced. He has hardly had to change the water pump, and would of done if it needed it. If he says he hasn't had much need to change the pump, why should I argue? As he works on two to three NSXs a week, he sees more than I do. It's not like he's negligent, the ABS high pressure hose got changed as part of a routine, as did the timing belt.

Maybe at 60k miles when the timing belt gets changed again, I'll do the pump. I may even change the spark plugs then too!

CRX B16B VTEC said:
Thanx, so how do I join the NSX club?

Joining is easy and free.

We operate from a Yahoogroups group, called NSXCB. Join that and that's it!

We're a bit different to other car clubs. No-one is really in charge, so we're more a co-operative than club. There are some that do more organising of events than others, but most of us are too busy to run a club full time, so this is what we have.

There is also a web site, www.nsxcb.co.uk, which is being re-worked.

Track day on the 2nd August at Bedford if you're interested!

Nope, I'm not going. Not into the Fast'n'Furious scene, if that's what it is.

On the 25th I'm doing something far more important, and that's racing round Silverstone.

I think there is 1 or 2 NSX there at the show every year. I am taking my CRX though. And I need to find some more customers for my car import business.

Just spoke to Chiswick Honda, they say there is no arrangement with NSX clubs. Is there any phone numbers or something, so that I can convince them this thing exists and I could get a discount??

Thanx

Back