• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Bigger" brakes for '97 NSX

I recently started taking my 1997 NSX to the track, and after 4 sessions, my mechanic tells me I need new rotors/pads, and should seriously consider a "big brake" kit (like Brembo). Problem is, apparently, putting Brembo brakes on lso requires larger rims, because they don't fit on the stock rims. Unfortunately, I REALLY want to keep the car as stock as possible (just a thing w/ me).

Anyone have ideas for better braking, w/o changing the rims? I figure someone has to have been down this road before, so I'm hoping for some insight.

Worst case, maybe I replace w/ stock parts and try to add something that cools better. The problem isn't stopping, but rather 1) rotor discoloration, and 2) smoking brakes after 4-5 track sessions.

Thanks in advance.

Mate just do a search there is heaps of info on here about this topic, basic things to do first better pads, fluid, braided lines you can remove the heat/stone sheild and put larger air deflectors/brake ducts on and if you are putting new rotors on consider cryo treated ones as another option. Everyone has their own opinion on brands for those mods but do that and you will have a big improvement before you look to go bigger. But before you do anything use the search function.

I drove my NSX for 13,000 actual miles on racetracks, and I never felt the need to upgrade the calipers. I did a lot of those miles using stock pads, a lot more with aftermarket pads (mostly Hawk HP+). I upgraded the brake fluid (Motul RBF 600 is a good choice). I also had cooling ducts installed to run from the front air dam to the front rotors. I used the stock brake lines (although I had them replaced with another set of stock lines towards the end of that time as a precaution, given all the track miles).

Front rotors, you have to inspect carefully for cracks, and it's normal to replace them regularly; many of mine lasted 500-800 actual track miles, which means 3-4 track events. (Spider-web type cracks are okay but it means they are getting there. Replace whenever visible cracks are over 1/2 inch long. And note that the cracks "fill in" when the rotors expand on the track when they're hot; you'll notice them worse after they cool down, like on your way home.)

There are two things that mistakenly makes people think they need bigger brakes when they don't. One is "green pad syndrome", the tendency of most brake pads to fade the first couple of sessions they get hot; you can avoid that by bedding new brake pads before you get to the track (see the technical white papers on the Stoptech website for details). The other is that beginner drivers have a tendency to use more brakes than they need to, and to use the brakes over a longer distance in the braking zone than they need to, whereas experienced drivers tend to use the brakes less, and hard over a shorter distance.

What kind of brake pads are on there now? Avoid brake pads from auto parts stores, unless it's a specialty place that sells high-performance aftermarket brands.

Last edited:
There is one solution I can recommend, which we offer is the Aero Rotor. Its a lighter, better ventilating rotor over stock. You can run them with your stock wheels, and they are much better than your "average" aftermarket rotor. Pair them with some good pads & fluid give it a shot.

Back