• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Billy Johnson in Daytona 24 Hr

Well it looks like I have been listed as the 5th driver in the Green #86 Mitchum Motorsports Porsche 997 GT3 for the 24 Hours of Daytona this weekend. I will be a backup driver for use when needed (probably at 3am). Be sure to catch it on SPEED!

Speed Channel's 14 Hours of coverage:
http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.cfm?series=r&cid=40924

SPEED and FX will cover the entire race:
http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.cfm?series=r&cid=41005

In addition I will be driving with Jack Roush Jr. in the brand-new #61 ROUSH Racing BOSS 302R Mustang. This thing is awesome!

We will also be running our old #61 (listed as #51 in the race) Ford Racing FR500C Mustang GT with Puerto Rican Roly Falgueras and a quick up and coming driver who i've been working with - Shelby Blackstock.

Check out my blog at Roush Performance:

http://blog.roushperformance.com/blog/2011/01/2011-daytona-race-preview.html

201101_mustang_front.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0441.jpg

"nine races in GRAND-AM's highly competitive Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge will be aired on a delayed basis, beginning with the season-opening GRAND-AM 200 at Daytona International Speedway, to be shown on SPEED at 3 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, Feb. 5, with nearly 80 cars expected to enter."

Be sure to watch!

Billy

best of luck.

Congratulations!! Glad to hear you're getting more opportunities. I tried a Google search of Shelby Blackstock, and all that came up was a bunch of pics and links to Reba McEntire's son. Is that the same guy? I checked out your blog also - you speaking so highly of him tells me I need to watch this guy too! Keep it up, be safe, and good luck with my dream job!

Joe

Congratulations!! Glad to hear you're getting more opportunities. I tried a Google search of Shelby Blackstock, and all that came up was a bunch of pics and links to Reba McEntire's son. Is that the same guy? I checked out your blog also - you speaking so highly of him tells me I need to watch this guy too! Keep it up, be safe, and good luck with my dream job!

Joe
Thank you. Yes that's Shelby and he'll be driving the Ford Racing FR500C that Jack Roush Jr. and I drove last year (but it will be #57 for this race):

BillyJackBarber09.jpg

Yes he will be one to watch in the future. I've been working with him for a while now.

Billy

The Don67 and I will be there, along with a few others from the Northeast (and some that use to be from the Northeast), to watch you in the Continental Tire Challenge on Friday. Good luck and good driving (I sooooo wish I had your job!)

Go get em billy, even if you need a jug full of coffee at 3 am :)..hmm but then will it complicate restroom breaks... How do you 24 hour racer type handle those logistics ? or does the dehydration in the car cure the drivers of said issue.

Anyhow. Congratulations on the new opportunities and all the best.

Good luck Billy!!!

Thank you all for the kind words and support!

If you're there, be sure to stop by the ROUSH trailer and say hi/grab a crew guy and ask for me - don't be shy even though they might look busy!
Go get em billy, even if you need a jug full of coffee at 3 am :)..hmm but then will it complicate restroom breaks... How do you 24 hour racer type handle those logistics ? or does the dehydration in the car cure the drivers of said issue.

Anyhow. Congratulations on the new opportunities and all the best.
Yes, not drinking a lot of water before your stint helps a lot. I'd rather be slightly thirsty and drink out of my bottle when in the car then have the discomfort of holding it in. Stints usually last 1-3 hours, and you cannot be in the car longer than 4 hours straight. BUT (and I'll quote the movie Super Troopers): "When you gotta go, you gotta go".

Here's a picture of the #86 Mitchum Motorsports Porsche 997 GT3 I'll be in for the 24:

IMG951175.jpg

Billy

Thank you all for the kind words and support!

If you're there, be sure to stop by the ROUSH trailer and say hi/grab a crew guy and ask for me - don't be shy even though they might look busy!Yes, not drinking a lot of water before your stint helps a lot. I'd rather be slightly thirsty and drink out of my bottle when in the car then have the discomfort of holding it in. Stints usually last 1-3 hours, and you cannot be in the car longer than 4 hours straight. BUT (and I'll quote the movie Super Troopers): "When you gotta go, you gotta go".

If you hold it too long you could damage your kidneys-- I'd rather do laundry than dialysis. Congratulations, I look forward to seeing you in the series again this year.

Re: Race report?

Billy, how did it work out? I didn't watch too carefully but happened to catch Jack Jr. as he put the Mustang into the tires. And I saw on the leaderboard that the #86 went out early, but didn't see or hear anything else.

What actually happened? Was it fun?

It look to me like Pobst was knocked into the wall on the first lap and then the gearbox failed not too long after.

Back