• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bimmerforums or m3forum?

So I'm thinking about getting an E36 M3 as a daily driver. I know nothing compares to Prime but I was wondering if anyone on here (BMW owner or otherwise) has experience with either of these and can recommend which one I should join?

From my experience owning an E36 M3 in the past, Bimmerforums has always been an E36 M3 forum while M3forum is for E46 M3 and E9x M3.

I prefer m3forum.net but they're really all the same. Browse all.

The bmwcca classifieds also tend to have some nice listings too.

Cool, thanks guys. I also found bimmerpost and bimmerfest.

So many forums! We have it easy, there's just one NSX forum - this one.

Any other general thoughts on E36 ownership? I want a Techno Violet to go with my purple NSX, 4 door. I hear 98-99 is the best?

Cool, thanks guys. I also found bimmerpost and bimmerfest.

So many forums! We have it easy, there's just one NSX forum - this one.

Any other general thoughts on E36 ownership? I want a Techno Violet to go with my purple NSX, 4 door. I hear 98-99 is the best?

1995's are a desired year due to the only ones being OBD-1. I have plenty of friends with 100k+ and 200k+ E36 M3's, great cars with no major pitfalls that you may see in the E46's. Definitely an awesome car and will more than likely be the platform I move to if I ever ball up my track car.

I know one guy that had 2 of them, sold and got a E46 M3 and now is back with a pair of E36 M3's (track coupe and daily sedan). He swears on them.

1995's are a desired year due to the only ones being OBD-1.

I assume that's for tuning/modding reasons? Any reason that would matter for someone looking as a stock daily driver?

I wanted my first post on Prime to be of the NSX I would get but that's wishful thinking. Guess I'll make myself useful in the meantime because my last car was a '99 M3, and I'm a member of BF.

e36 are one of the more abused cars out there.
The engine and tranny are solid and you most likely won't have to do major work.
The biggest area of concern are the rear shock mounts.
The OEM overtime can pierce through and well...you get the picture
o2 sensor is annoying
fail pixies
Plastic shit in the clutch pedal
etc etc, just annoying little things you have to deal with
but your main concern is all the suspension work
make sure the previous owner has a decent amount of info on them
Top Gear should seldom be used as a point of reference but I remember on an EP that they ran extensive work and the suspension was a walking death trap due to neglect

If it's a daily get an OBD2
This is the longest post I've ever written.
Hoped it helped

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! My price range will probably ensure I'm only looking at cars with 100k+ miles on them anyway... I imagine these will likely have had all the necessary work done already?

fail pixies

I admit that's the only part I didn't understand.

Never assume anything when buying a used car my friend.
Get a PPI
It's my personal ethic that if the seller didn't do the simply things like deoxidize the black strippings, replace weather strip, and replace hood shocks that it's worth a red flag, but then again that's just me being very cautious.

Faulty pixals
Again with the e36, nothing major but very annoying
It's not likely to happen

850iMID.jpg

deadpixels.jpg

Last edited:
I too am a long time member on Bimmerforums. I sold my 95 M3 to buy my NSX (which is since gone). I loved the car, never had a problem until i mis-shifted and threw a couple of valves. Other than that, I highly recommend the E36 cars. Easy to work on and a joy to drive.

Cool! I suspect I actually might have more trouble finding a purple M3 than I had finding my purple NSX (I posted "WTB Midnight Pearl" on Prime and got a PM with a local one within 24 hours... got really lucky)

Just under 100 MP NSX were sold... E36 M3 in Techno Violet sold 547 coupes and 227 sedans. So, about 7 times as many. Hopefully that will translate to a shorter search! :smile:

Both are good, lots of good advice

Check metro areas like West Hollywood and SF. :tongue: Kidding aside, those forums are so childish and filled with spoiled kids that they are unbearable. Better just to scan the forums than to participate.

The Bimmerforums people have been really welcoming (knock on wood) - when they start to get testy I find that a few pictures of my NA1 sure helps settle the mood :biggrin:

Back