• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BMW I8 owner

So went to the Acura dealer to check it out. Pulled up in my i8 and asked for a test drive and said he would schedule one. That was a month ago and have heard nothing. For a car that does not sell, that's pretty bad follow up as I gave them all my info.

That being said I do like the look and idea of the car. My previous ride was a red r8 v10 vert, while I loved that car more then the I8 it was not a great daily driver. Have my i8 for almost a year and DD it everywhere, even to NYC. I like the hybrid drivetrain and it's nice to drive all electric in the morning. The r8 was too loud as it had aftermarket exhaust, but after a while you sort of get tired of the loud noice, though it did sound great.

The i8 has the jelkl and Hyde, approach it is fairly quick and the fake exhaust does sound good believe it or not, it just feels a little underpowered as compared to my R8 or even the nsx. Maybe the nsx is the best of both worlds. I do think the nsx looks better then i8 which I think has a very busy design. Don't love the front of the nsx though.

Test drove the 570 and 650 and while great cars don't know if I could or would DD them.

So do you guys think Acura might offer trunk money or lease deal at end of year. I hear you can get 30k off now on loaded nsx if Acura through in another 10k trunk money or offered a lease deal around 1500-1800 I might bite. Still have to test drive it.

The other option is to wait a year or so and go used. If discounts are already 30k, what will a used msrp 180k car go for in 12 to 18 months. 130 to 145k. I think that would be pretty attractive.

Quite a first post!
I got "stuck" back there on your red R-8, V-10 ("vert" or not).

virtually every other thread in this section has mention of $25,000 to $35,000 discounts off MSRP across the country...

That is because people have misinterpreted what I posted months ago by indicating there is about $32k wiggle room off msrp on a fully loaded one before dealer holdback and that gives you a negotiating range. Only desperate dealers and demos will go that low right now but with diligent searches they can be had.

I have not tried to price the car as I have not driven it. I had a red r8 v10 vert. Just saying I enjoy the hybrid drivetrain I have experienced in i8. Would be interested in nsx, but the smart buyer might wait a year or two and see how depr factors into the car. Remember mclaren got killed with depr and since this is hybrid with batteries it could be the same thing.

What do you guys think these cars will be worth 2 yeas from now? 60 to 70% of MSRP. BMW ended up doing huge incentives on i8 lease that is one reason I got one.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 93
virtually every other thread in this section has mention of $25,000 to $35,000 discounts off MSRP across the country...

One guy posted that he found two such cars. Others reported that they found zero such deals.

Also, see the other thread--- the cheapest known car is a demo car with 1000 miles on ODO and a big rock chip.

Last edited:
From what I have heard, the dealerships are really pushing for an aggressive lease program to get the car out to the streets. My guess is that it will come in more around $2000/month rather than $1500-1800, but I guess that really depends on how aggressive they feel they need to be.

There's a spec'd out one on eBay asking 12k under sticker.

It was a vert.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 713
  • RenderedContent-F3CB52FD-BAB6-40AD-85EB-FD3491D5BC19.JPG
    RenderedContent-F3CB52FD-BAB6-40AD-85EB-FD3491D5BC19.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 701
I joined a BMW I8 forum because I was hot to get one.

However, after watching the video of opening the hood, I decided the NSX was going to be my choice.

Also, it didn't help seeing 2 year old I8's for less then $100k now closer to $90k.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/05/05/video-how-to-open-bmw-i8-hood/

I also thought it funny getting trashed on the I8 forum by some member because this "shortcoming" is covered in the manual, like that makes it ok then.

Last edited:
I had no idea about the i8 hood. How odd. Are there jump points inside the car, or do you need two people to jump start the car?

In fairness, not being able to pop the hood without a visit to the dealer is way more "exotic" than the NSX.... ;-)

I saw a video about the i8 hood a while ago.

The techs were saying the typical owner will never open it.

But seeing how cheesy the hood was made and how much caution is needed to open the thing was concerning.

It is still and extremely cool car.

I saw a video about the i8 hood a while ago.

The techs were saying the typical owner will never open it.

But seeing how cheesy the hood was made and how much caution is needed to open the thing was concerning.

It is still and extremely cool car.

I agree, I may consider one but after 2020 as I feel they will be below $50k by then.

The warranty will be expired on many.

They are already in the low $90k range.

As a side note to the comparison, like the crazy relative who lives in the basement, nobody mentions that if you want to charge the car overnight on 117 (typical USA), you can sit on your duff for 14 hours and wait.

Unless you pop for a 220 volt wall hanger you better be prepared to wait.

As the "eco" hybrid the I8 wins that.

I agree, I may consider one but after 2020 as I feel they will be below $50k by then.

The warranty will be expired on many.

They are already in the low $90k range.

Make that high 70's now for 2014's with less than 20k miles. It's amazing how little value they hold, and they're all still under warranty t this point. Once the warranties expire, I think you're right - $50k easily. Or, if a major model refresh is made I can see the values plummeting, but unfortunately, BMW just did a targa version for 2018 so I guess they're committed to this platform for the next few years (until 2020 like you wrote).

I'd like to pick one up as my DD. My current DD is a lowly Prius hybrid I've had since new for the past 7 years. So, I'm familiar with hybrids....
Besides getting in and out of the i8 (not a big deal for me after driving one) and explaining what it is every time I stop someplace, I think it would make a great commuter for me. My kids can still fit in the back, it's got decent power, it's sporty, and has relatively decent fuel economy.

Styling is so-so. I'd probably do a flat black wrap and lightly tint the taillights to hide all those crazy lines.

I've been on the i8 forum and have seen your posts [MENTION=34013]Heavymetals[/MENTION] and [MENTION=33982]Taxdr1965[/MENTION] . There are a few minor problems that I'm OK with taking a chance on (even without a warranty), but it seems BMW did a pretty good job of engineering them. No major issues after three years of production.

Ugh, I'd like to pick one up soon, but at the same time, prices seem to be dropping like a rock. Maybe this spring....

Last edited:
I have been considering the TOYOTA hydrogen car for a DD.

Here in CA they are offering all kinds of promotions.

One guy bought one just because he can drive it solo in the carpool lane.

Make that high 70's now for 2014's with less than 20k miles. It's amazing how little value they hold, and they're all still under warranty t this point. Once the warranties expire, I think you're right - $50k easily. Or, if a major model refresh is made I can see the values plummeting, but unfortunately, BMW just did a targa version for 2018 so I guess they're committed to this platform for the next few years (until 2020 like you wrote).

I'd like to pick one up as my DD. My current DD is a lowly Prius hybrid I've had since new for the past 7 years. So, I'm familiar with hybrids....
Besides getting in and out of the i8 (not a big deal for me after driving one) and explaining what it is every time I stop someplace, I think it would make a great commuter for me. My kids can still fit in the back, it's got decent power, it's sporty, and has relatively decent fuel economy.

Styling is so-so. I'd probably do a flat black wrap and lightly tint the taillights to hide all those crazy lines.

I've been on the i8 forum and have seen your posts @Heavymetals and @Taxdr1965 . There are a few minor problems that I'm OK with taking a chance on (even without a warranty), but it seems BMW did a pretty good job of engineering them. No major issues after three years of production.

Ugh, I'd like to pick one up soon, but at the same time, prices seem to be dropping like a rock. Maybe this spring....

I'm actually surprised the i8 (2014) value is still in the 77k range. Tesla P85D 2014 about the same MSRP loaded as the i8 and those are high 60's low 70's with better performance and tech. For a car that's 4 years old and still selling for over 50% of the value is pretty solid numbers on the i8.......and surprising.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised the i8 (2014) value is still in the 77k range. Tesla P85D 2014 about the same MSRP loaded as the i8 and those are high 60's low 70's with better performance and tech. For a car that's 4 years old and still selling for over 50% of the value is pretty solid numbers on the i8.......and surprising.

The I8 numbers are a bit misleading. I remember because I wanted one three years ago, but couldn't justify the car plus $50k markup when first sold in the US September of 2014.

Neglecting the $50k+ markup for 2014 I8's, the MSRP was $136k. After 3.25 years, low 20k mileage examples are selling for $77k, or 57% residual.

Comparing to my next choice as a sporty DD with AWD and backseats, the 2014 Carrera 4S MSRP was $118k. I see a lot of those listed for $79k, or roughly 67% residual.

There were only 555 I8 sales in 2014. As the 2015's roll off leases (there were 2,200 US sales in 2015) and the used market suddenly expands, combined with the older models going off warranty, I'm thinking the I8 value is going to drop drastically soon. All that unproven BMW hybrid tech? Oh boy....

Anyways, I'd like to pick up a 2014 model with around 30k miles for $60k or less by this Fall. :smile:

Back