• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bone Stock NSX is a joy to drive on track

I took the NSX to Laguna Seca over the weekend. It's been a couple of years since I've been there, and this was my first time there with NSX.

I'm pretty low on talent and courage, but was able to get into a groove by the end of the day and did a 1:44 best lap. 1:40 or below is considered "fast" for a street car, and Randy Pobst runs 1:36 in the NSX, so still a lot of room to learn/improve.

The suspension is just great. Very quick to get settled and never felt too stiff or too mushy. Once I increased my pace, it rotated nicely and very predictably with the throttle. I know people trying to drive it 11/10ths say it is a handful near the limits, but I'm not sure I'll ever experience that.

Transmission is brilliant. Power is smooth and continuous. Do I wish it had more power? Of course. But the car is fast enough to hang with most any other street car (without a big wing) you'll encounter at an HPDE event (with drivers of equal skill).

Here's a lap (I tried to isolate my 1:44 lap, but I think I picked the lap before or after it which was a ~1:46).

Last edited:
nice.....did you record tire pressures?...what tires......did the brake temp warning activate?also did you have car in full auto or did you shift?

After some experimenting, I now target 37 PSI hot in front and 35 PSI hot in back. I try to do a full out lap to warm tires before going full tilt. Running 33-35 hot in front and not warming tires will destroy front shoulders in two track days (expensive lesson).

Using Cup2s. Might give Trofeo R's another chance at some point.

Running in Track Mode in automatic. It's magical. I can't imagine why I'd want to shift manually.

Saw "Slow Down! Reduced braking power" light in the session before the wear indicator lit up, so I think related to extra heat transfer when pads get low. With fresh pads and higher temps in the afternoon (and faster lap times!), I had no issues with brakes or general heat.

Car is awesome.

Car will be at Thunderhill this Friday in 104 deg heat. That will be a good thermal test.

Due to uneven wear, I'm getting about 3.5 track days for pads. With gentle street driving, I'd imagine you'd get at least 20K miles on the pads.

I can see the economics behind iron rotor/pad combos then as I imagine the ceramic brakes pads are extra premium?

With gentle street driving, I'd imagine you'd get at least 20K miles on the pads.

Supposed to much much longer than that. They told us they'd pretty much never wear out with those conditions. I don't believe that either. But I'm certainly willing to believe much longer than 20k for street only use.

It's too damn quiet.

Back