• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boring & Honing Sleeved Block

A question for any engine builders out there. While in the process of tracking down some ring seating and oil consumption issues, I along with my machinist came to the conclusion that the original boring of my 95mm Darton sleeved block was not done with a torque plate installed to simulate the head being bolted in place. This lead to very inconsistent bore readings from top to bottom and side to side. I have since purchased a CNC'ed head torque plate, but my engine builder said it is not uncommon on a race engine to use a custom CNC'd plate to also bolt up in place of the transmission to simulate that load on the block.
Does anyone out there go to these lengths, or will boring & honing the cylinders with the head torque plate and the mains torqued to spec. suffice?

I used torque plates on my engine during the hone process and I have zero engine oil consumption. You don't need the transmission plate, in my opinion.

Back