• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bose head unit replacement - anyone done it?

I recently got a 98 NSX-T, and have been pretty disappointed with the Bose audio system; not only is the sound too flat for my liking (the midrange seems weak and muddy) but the tuner's RDS function is awful (with RDS enabled it polls other stations too often causing audio breakup: not uncommon with older headunits, which I guess the Bose qualifies as I suppose its design was fixed back in '90!)

So; I'm seriously considering hacking a hole in the centre console to fit a standard DIN head unit, and fitting an amp in the trunk. I almost passed out when I found that it would cost me $1000 to get a new plastic piece for the dash (if I wanted to return the car to stock at any point), but I think I may be over that now...

I was just wondering: someone out there must have done this to their car. Any hints/tips/pictures? The faq section on replacing the factory speaker/amp modules was very useful...

Thanks,
Hugo

Actually from what I understand BOSE's setup is done in a way that you cannot replace any single peice without replacing the entire system. I DID however see just yesterday that Dali racing has an NSX specific sound system which does not entail removing the head unit..
1700 or so for the full set, for new speakers, a subwoofer and a bunch of other stuff I ddint quite understand. (I'm Not stereo-literate)

i replaced my head unit... http://home.att.net/~hondansx/Garage.html under the nsx section....

the trim piece to replace will cost < $500 new i don't remember the exact price..and i found few used ones for around 200-300
smile.gif

I didn't upgrade the speakers yet...but that's soon to come....

Originally posted by David:
There is an aftermarket 'thingy' that will convert the f*cked up Bose output signal back into a standard stereo output. That will allow you some freedom in mixing and matching components without swaping the head unit.

Contrary to what some people may tell you, and unlike many BOSE systems out there, the head unit in the NSX does not use differential outputs on the signals. It does not need a differential output converter like the NISSAN or FORD systems. What it does need is a line driver to boost the output signal by approx. 10db. I just installed a "post-head unit" system. Private me if anyone needs info/hints or I'll post if demand is high.

HINT: You can tap the head unit signal off the connector going to the sub located on the passenger floor. It is the same signal as the one going to the left and right door. That way you don't have to tear the center console apart. :)

Back