• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

bought a car at noon,wrecked at 5

SNDSOUL said:
...So here is my question, if I haven't signed all of the paperwork yet, is the truck still mine? The salesman called me on the way home and said that there were some title documents he forgot to get me to sign. If I can, I would like to give the truck back to the dealership, who wants a wrecked new truck? I'm pretty sure I'm SOL on this one, but I thought I would see what you guys think. :cool:
WHAT A CRAZY YEAR!!

I personally think that is a super shady and low thing to try and pull....some other stuff came to mind, but I will not say. The truck is yours and you know it.

SNDSOUL said:
ok, here's how its going...The wreck was not my fault, but my insurance is covering it(no fault accident). The dealership agreed to take the truck back as long as they do the repairs and my insurance company pays for it. They are getting a new truck in the meantime and they will sell the other on their lot as a demo. We are swapping truck for truck with no money exchanged. I think this is the best I can ask for? I'll have to wait a little for them to find me another truck with identical features, but I will get out of having a wrecked vehicle without coming out of any money(except my deductable).

You got pretty lucky it sounds like....the dealer sounds very nice to have done that for you.

H-carWizKid said:
and I care... why?

It looks like you are making a lot of assumptions about the dealer. What leads you to believe that the dealer that is taking good care of our fellow board member is so shady that they wouldn't disclose the vehicle's history to a potential buyer?

Do you really care what happens to the truck next?

It looks like our fellow board member got the best possible result out of this mess- would you have preferred he be stuck with the brand new wrecked truck?

Was the purpose of your post to offer one more dose of negativity for the ethics of the car business?

If so, good for you! Mission accomplished!

This may sound really old school....but I CARE what happens to the truck next!! If some unsuspecting chump buys that thinking it is 'as new' and in great shape only to find out later on when they are having mystery problems diagnosed that it was wrecked, that is wrong.

Having worked at a dealership in school I saw SOOOO many dealers selling damaged cars to people it was crazy!! While you might not think there is a problem with this, I believe in something called karma....screw someone, and it will bite you in the butt later!!

The term "no fault" generally refers to the personal injury side of the case not the property damage ie., the vehicle.
It is a common point of confusion.
"No fault" was intended to stem gratuitous personal injury claims and large dollar judgments resulting from liability in a accident. Each party would be paid for their doctor bills from their own policy instead of suing the other party. Almost works here in NY...kind of...:rolleyes:

Meeyatch1 said:
This may sound really old school....but I CARE what happens to the truck next!! If some unsuspecting chump buys that thinking it is 'as new' and in great shape only to find out later on when they are having mystery problems diagnosed that it was wrecked, that is wrong.

Having worked at a dealership in school I saw SOOOO many dealers selling damaged cars to people it was crazy!! While you might not think there is a problem with this, I believe in something called karma....screw someone, and it will bite you in the butt later!!

The vehicle in question wasn't totaled, then salvaged- just repaired. Have you seen the damage you are making such a stink about? Is it serious?

Karma? Ok, here is some karma for you- keep sending the negative waves out there about the car sales industry- you are sure to get them back.

You used to work for a shady dealer? I used to work for an honest one- I suppose our experiences are quite opposite in all respects.

Meeyatch- you are assuming the dealer won't disclose, even though SndSOUL, who has an actual relationship with the dealer believes he will.
Why? Do you know something about this particular dealer that we don't? Based on the specs, and his product lines I am willing to venture this dealer knows how to run his business, and isn't in the habit of screwing his customers. Here is how I came to that conclusion...

If you REALLY want to cite Karma, then look at the success of that dealer- he has several premium lines, all of which take their customer service index VERY seriously- New car sales for premium imports like Porsche, BMW, Lexus, and Infinity will make the decision to take on a dealer based on his CSI for his existing lines, and after they are commited with the Dealer, the manufacturers will make floorplan determinations based upon a dealers scores- low scores take you out of the game for allocation of the premium merchandise. Obviously this dealer has done something right by his customers in the past- not only that, but here we have an associate out here in email land who will attest to the fiber of the business. All of this is the Dealers "Karma" coming back around.

Still- what does any of this matter? Our community member is getting a straight new truck after an unfortunate series of events twisted the one he had for only a few hours. This is a happy ending for someone who's business, and personal life has endured so much hardship over the past few months- Oh wait? Is that Karma Knocking?

Meeyatch1 said:

I agree with you, but on the other hand, Karma didnt help Sndsoul at all ! He wasnt at fault for the accident, yet he should have to take on a rebuilt car ?

How does karma justify Sndsoul paying full price for a car he might not even get to drive for another month because its getting built ? The only one we should be talking about karma with is the uninsured person who hit him !!!

Meeyatch1 said:
I personally think that is a super shady and low thing to try and pull....some other stuff came to mind, but I will not say. The truck is yours and you know it.
Why is this super shady?? My insurance adjuster was the original person that suggested returning the vehicle. He said the dealership could write the vehicle off as a damaged demo, fix it, and then sell it again which is exactly what they are doing. I didnt "try and pull" anything? I called the sales manager, explained my situation and asked since the truck was not titled yet was there anything he could do. Since I am a valued return customer and they are a well respected dealership(3 hours away from my home BTW) he had no problem with finding me a new unwrecked vehicle. He understands that I will/do appreciate his help immencely and I will buy another vehicle from him in the future and I will suggest them to my friends and family looking for good cars.
You guys love to turn any positive into a negative and then speculate like a bunch of women in a hair salon. "You think you know, but you have no idea".

SNDSOUL said:
Why is this super shady?? My insurance adjuster was the original person that suggested returning the vehicle. He said the dealership could write the vehicle off as a damaged demo, fix it, and then sell it again which is exactly what they are doing. I didnt "try and pull" anything? I called the sales manager, explained my situation and asked since the truck was not titled yet was there anything he could do. Since I am a valued return customer and they are a well respected dealership(3 hours away from my home BTW) he had no problem with finding me a new unwrecked vehicle. He understands that I will/do appreciate his help immencely and I will buy another vehicle from him in the future and I will suggest them to my friends and family looking for good cars.
You guys love to turn any positive into a negative and then speculate like a bunch of women in a hair salon. "You think you know, but you have no idea".

One question....if you had not had the accident would you have any doubt that the car was yours?

Last edited:
H-carWizKid said:
The vehicle in question wasn't totaled, then salvaged- just repaired. Have you seen the damage you are making such a stink about? Is it serious?

(snip)

If you REALLY want to cite Karma, then look at the success of that dealer- he has several premium lines, all of which take their customer service index VERY seriously- New car sales for premium imports like Porsche, BMW, Lexus, and Infinity will make the decision to take on a dealer based on his CSI for his existing lines, and after they are commited with the Dealer, the manufacturers will make floorplan determinations based upon a dealers scores- low scores take you out of the game for allocation of the premium merchandise. Obviously this dealer has done something right by his customers in the past- not only that, but here we have an associate out here in email land who will attest to the fiber of the business. All of this is the Dealers "Karma" coming back around.

Still- what does any of this matter? Our community member is getting a straight new truck after an unfortunate series of events twisted the one he had for only a few hours. This is a happy ending for someone who's business, and personal life has endured so much hardship over the past few months- Oh wait? Is that Karma Knocking?

Okay....how minor can the damage be when T-boned by a car at 55 mph?? Seriously....that is not just a scrape usually. Have you seen the damage to say that it is not significant??

Also...despite your long explanation of CSI (which I already knew about), neither that or expensive product lines guarantee good business practices with regards to turning damaged vehicles. If this dealer is different than the 20 or so I have had to deal with....GREAT!! I would love to be wrong about this dealer if for no other reason than to maybe find a good dealer to buy from. Sorry if my past experiences with dealers have led me to the impression that I have of them, but they have.

Finally, I think you guys are missing the point. I really do feel bad for the terribly unfortunate events that have happened to him in the recent past. They suck and it is good that something positive is coming out of this latest unfortunate event. Just because I have some personal apprehensions about some aspects of it are my right.

Brett....good luck with your vehicle getting replaced, and I am glad that you were not injured in the accident.

Last edited:
Meeyatch1 said:
One question....if you had not had the accident would you have any doubt that the car was yours?
At the time of the accident I did consider the truck to be the one that I would buy but, I hadnt paid for the truck yet, I hadnt called and added it to my insurance yet, I hadnt signed the title work yet, so yes, I had doubt that the truck was really mine, hence the question in the original post, "is the truck still mine".
Since then, I have paid for the truck, I have not done any title work, but it was claimed on my insurance as an unlisted vehicle.

So as of now I have paid in full for a truck that I dont have and my insurance is paying to repair a truck that is not mine.
I dont have a problem with that because I know that I am getting a new truck eventually and thats all I ask for.
I hope you can see that I am not trying to hustle anyone, I am just making the best of a dificult situation. I feel comfortable knowing that the dealership will make money doing the repair and will still sell the truck above their cost, but at a discounted rate to the customer b/c of the accident. I feel certain also that they will disclose the accident prior to the sell. The are a very good dealership, SO FAR:biggrin:

Back