• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake Caliper Colors

I'm thinking of painting my stock brake calipers but am not sure what color to use and whether or not it will look good. I have a formula red car. I know the new ones are gold.

Any suggestions / pictures would help!!

Re: Break Caliper Colors

You may want to just take a picture of your car profile.. and then just use something simple to color your calipers.... you can even use microsoft paint to just get an idea of what it may look like...

good luck.
x

Here's a couple pictures of our red car with red calipers.

Bobby

123-2342_IMG.JPG

123-2358_IMG.JPG

Thanks for the pictures... looks great. I'm worried that the calipers might take awya from the wheels. What do you think?

Also, how did you get the white "NSX" painted? That looks fantastic!!

What kit did you use?

Happy New Year!
Ed

in most cases i love red. just a preference to me. yellow on yellow also looks hot. i llike em to stand out, some people go with silver with red letters or something understated like that.

I did the same thing as countrysquire above. I used a paint pen to do the white NSX lettering. It made it real easy. You can find them in the hobby/craft sections of most stores.

I'm a bit hesitant becasue I'm worried that I won't like it and that it will take awya form the beauty of the car and the wheels. I don't want to spend major $$$ on a car and wheels and have your eye go to the $100 break calipers.

Is there anyone who either hasn't doen it for this reason or has done it and regreted it?

Ed

Ed,

The previous owner did the calipers, so I'm not sure what process that he used. The letters are actually silver but you can't tell in the pictures. Like anything, the color of choice (if any) is a pesonal preference. I really HATE 'bling-bling' type stuff, but I think the calipers can be done tastefully. I feel that the red calipers look good on red, silver, and black cars but would be too much on a yellow car, but there will be other guys who love red on yellow (or yellow on red). The GT1 wheels on our car don't hide much, so hopefully the pictures give you some idea of how they'd look on yours.

I painted the calipers on my '94 NSX black, and then took the OEM Grand Prix White touch-up paint and painted the letters 'NSX' to match. Yeah, I am kind of obsessive about paint and color matching. :smile:

I'm planning to paint my calipers in the spring. I run OEM 7-spokers so there isn't a whole lot of open viewing area. My car is formula red and I decided on red calipers. I had sorta hoped to have a contrasting color but I figured silver or black would essentially blend in. Besides, red calipers always looks gooooood!

i had learn in the past that spray paint will easily drift, require cover, the paint get everywhere and harder to apply the second coat( done it and fail. it didn't look good at all. my wife and me had to rework on it ) . then, i learn from my nsx's bro..to use brush and only cost me 2 usd( no kidding) on two cars; which is my daily drive rsx-s too..it look better(which is smoother,no cover require and i didn't have to worry about the spray paint: it will get to my car"s paint..) if you want the pics and info, pm me with your email..because i didn't have it now : i'm in school now ..
pk

Did mine this past weekend. I painted my old red nsx's calipers red, but on new white I figured that would be too bright. So I decided to go black, with red nsx letters (used my formula red touch-up paint). Put about 4 coats of "caliper paint" bought from my local auto parts store. Then put about 3 coats of the red lettering.

Attachments

• f55ddabe (1).jpg
    f55ddabe (1).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 866
  • f55dd871 (1).jpg
    f55dd871 (1).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 875
  • f558863c (1).jpg
    f558863c (1).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,528
  • f5588683 (1).jpg
    f5588683 (1).jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,012
Last edited:
I also just did mine a couple days ago. I chose to go with the G2 paint kit and I think I made the right choice. The results turned out very well. I would definitely recommend against going the spray can route. I did 4 coats on mine and then did black lettering using my touch-up paint. Very happy with how it came out. :smile:

Attachments

• Pictures 1108s.jpg
    Pictures 1108s.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 839
  • Pictures 1111s.jpg
    Pictures 1111s.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 827
  • Pictures 1114s.jpg
    Pictures 1114s.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 846
  • Pictures 1117s.jpg
    Pictures 1117s.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 882
  • Pictures 1122s.jpg
    Pictures 1122s.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 861
More...

Attachments

• Picture 1126s.jpg
    Picture 1126s.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 860
  • 1SMP1b.jpg
    1SMP1b.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 828
I just rcvd my red G2 kit in the mail.
Any tips? How long do you hv to work with it before it sets up?

I would try to do it in a well-lit area so that you can see the whole caliper clearly. Before you mix the paint, make sure to look over the calipers and note exactly which parts you want to paint so that you don't accidentally paint a part you don't want to, or miss a place you do. After you mix the paint you'll have plenty of time to get the job done. I did 4 coats and when I was done, the paint in the can was still plenty liquid to keep going. If you plan on painting the letters, wait until the caliper paint is completely dry. This may test your patience as you may be eager, like I was, to put the wheels back on and see how it's all turned out. It will be a much cleaner job if you wait till the paint has cured. Other than that, budget about 4-5 hours for the actual work and another couple hours to stand, stare, and marvel at the new look of your car after it's done. :biggrin:

I did mine last weekend to. I Did not want to do much work so I just painted the NSX logo red.

Attachments

• nlfw1.jpg
    nlfw1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 890
I'm getting ready to pint mine this weekend.

Is it easier to remove the pads before painting to make sure you don't get any paint on them? I took off the wheel and I'm woried about getting paint where I don't want it?

Ed

Blue painters tape will protect your pads fine without removing them. I've done multiple cars that way. Works great. Also, a couple cans of Brakleen works wonders when prepping the calipers.

NSXROX said:
Blue painters tape will protect your pads fine without removing them. I've done multiple cars that way. Works great. Also, a couple cans of Brakleen works wonders when prepping the calipers.

What about the area that you can (I guess it's theback ot the brake pad - it's the semi circular part)?

Also, I assum you have to paint the back of the calipers right?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

emdoller said:
What about the area that you can (I guess it's theback ot the brake pad - it's the semi circular part)?

Also, I assum you have to paint the back of the calipers right?

Sorry for the dumb questions.
Just press the tape down tight into the semi circle part and trim it with a razor blade. You don't want to paint the back of the pads because it won't look right. The blue tape comes up easy after you're finished painting.

Here's a pic to give you an idea:
7367mini-P5290315.JPG

I just did mine Black w/ Red lettering, but I did mine the hardest way I even take out all the caliper . . . but I'm very happy with the result

mypic136.JPG

mypic137.JPG

mypic138.JPG

Last edited:
Back