• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake pad doesn't exist

After reading thru some of the threads about different brake pads, I decided to try something other than OEM. Called one of the recommended brake vendors (Cobalt) and the rep there told me that pad I am looking for doesn't exist. :confused:

Not asking for anything complicated here... minimal brake dust, no brake squeal and a better bite than oem pads.

Last edited:
It does, it's called the OEM type R pad :)

sjones said:
After reading thru some of the threads about different brake pads, I decided to try something other than OEM. Called one of the recommended brake vendors (Cobalt) and the rep there told me that pad I am looking for doesn't exist. :confused:

Not asking for anything complicated here... minimal brake dust, no brake squeal and a better bite than oem pads.

Nothing in Cobalt's line-up of pads would likely satisfy your specific needs, which is likely why the rep shy'd you away.

For Cobalt, even their most mild pad would likely dust and squeel too much for your liking and the rep likely garnered that from your stated requirements.

The pad linked to above might work out, I have no experience with it. I would think that perhaps you could try an R4S, Axxis Ultimate, or something equivalent for awhile and see if you find the compromises acceptable.

I have Hawk pads on the DC2, they work pretty well, however a lot of dust when they are wearing out.

The NSX-R pads are very good, combined with the 2 piece rotors from Dali and braided hoses from Procar.

I had project mu street pads and they are absolutely fabulous in regards of good bite with no dust and squeal for street driving.

but then ever since I had them, I probably only had few thousand miles with it. Do not even try Axxis ultimate as it dusts a lot too.

sjones said:

In my experience there is generally a balance in pads between squeal, dust, bite, price and rotor wear.
Force rank them and then select a pad that does that better than OEM. If you like the OEM balance, stick with that. I daily drive a BMW, and the OEM pads on it compared to the NSX's bite better, never squeal and dust more than the NSX pads. I think like that trade at a reasonable price and rotor wear, and looked for a similar aftermarket tradeoff. FWIW, I ended up with Carbotech bobcats. I would probably look at R4Ss or another set of bobcats if doing it again. I have nothing against Cobalt pads, I just don't know much about them.

Hope that helps.

for anyone considering slotted/drilled rotors. take a look at this.
both left and right front look like this. the cracks are only around the holes.

Attachments

• DSC02729.JPG
    DSC02729.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC02731.JPG
    DSC02731.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02725.JPG
    DSC02725.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 80
I have heard stories re drilled discs, my Spoon AP1 S2000 ones are starting to crack, nothing like that though, hence why I went for grooved only on the NSX.

Have a new Free set of the S2000 ones though so not too worried.

Mine are slotted and dimpled. No crack yet. Brand is Brembo. I'm using EBC green pads.

Jin1976 said:
Mine are slotted and dimpled. No crack yet. Brand is Brembo. I'm using EBC green pads.
EBC Green on an NSX ??

I have been told by EBC that they are not suited to an NSX at all and you should be running Red as an absolute minimum.

Back