• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake question...

I was just trying to point out that the cheapo cross drilled rotors are more bling than functionality.
Agreed.
Like I said, for HPDE use they are consumables so I am not going to put $$$ into them.
My previous post suggested cross-drilled rotors from a reputable source can handle abuse in professional motorsport: SWC GT and Touring Car, and Grand-Am GS.

:biggrin:

I'm seriously considering the EBC's due to price, coating, and style. Anyone know how they perform? Any info on them at all?

I bought a cross-drilled rotor set from IROTORS at E-Bay for my 91. See http://www.irotors.com/storefrontprofiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?NSX&sfid=149795&c=140865. They can do plain, drilled and/or slotted as well as different coating options. If you decide to order from them make sure to ask for BREMBO or BRADI blanks only. Mine came with BRADI stamped on all rotros FYI. I've used them on the street with Project Mu Street pads for over a year and no issues. If I can remember correctly, my set was approx. $300.

Last edited:
I've used EBC on several motorcycles and sportbikes with no problem. Then again, I didn't give 2 cents about brake dust, it was about all out pure performance.

Too bad prime sucks at 3 letter search.

If you want to save some $$$$. I ran Wearever Gold cheapo pads from Autozone $30 axle compared to OEM $200 axle.

No dusting, no squealing and out performed OEM on the track at Mid Ohio - and I didn't baby them either. Were they as good as my Hawk DTC60 track pads? No, but they easily were as good or better than OEM for 1/10th the $. OEM pads are rediculously expensive for what you get.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105175

They don't have Wearever in my autozone... they have these:
<title>Enter text here.</title>Duralast regular 22.99
Duralast gold 36.99
Duralast gold cmax 54.99

Same thing? Different?

I just got a set of rear pads for $76 from Acura of Augusta. That's cheap enough in my book and why would you need to go any cheaper.

I just got a set of rear pads for $76 from Acura of Augusta. That's cheap enough in my book and why would you need to go any cheaper.

It's not "cheap" that I'm looking for... it's a good combo pad that will do what I want. Everyone is just saying that the el-cheapo pads perform BETTER than the more expensive OEM pads. So that seems like a no-brainer.

It's not "cheap" that I'm looking for... it's a good combo pad that will do what I want. Everyone is just saying that the el-cheapo pads perform BETTER than the more expensive OEM pads. So that seems like a no-brainer.

Ahhh....That's what I get for not reading the entire thread. I've used a lot of different pads over the years for street and track. The best pads that I ever used were from RM racing but they're no longer in business. I've used Hawks, Carbotech, Cobalt, Axxis, you name I've used it. I've also used many different rotors such as: Brembo, Powerslot, OEM, and a cryo trated rotor form Australia (I forgot the name). I've always managed to warp every set of rotors after one day at the track and I know why. The reason is because the NSX doesn't have good air flow to cool the front brakes. I believe that with a good cooling duct you can use OEM all day on track. It also depends on which track you are going to frequent. I used to attend HPDE's at Sebring and that track is brutal on brakes due to the long straights.

So it sounds like the best way to go is with a caliper with the best ventilation that's not cross-drilled. That makes the first set of EBC's the best candidate again. They are slotted and dimpled instead of drilled out.

Performance Friction's 01 pad compound is a great track pad.

Buy rotors from a reputable brand. I havn't heard of the performance, results, or durability of EBC rotors. Their's not a lot of info out on them (dosn't necessarily mean they are bad though).

Last edited:
If you want to save some $$$$. I ran Wearever Gold cheapo pads from Autozone $30 axle compared to OEM $200 axle.

No dusting, no squealing and out performed OEM on the track at Mid Ohio - and I didn't baby them either. Were they as good as my Hawk DTC60 track pads? No, but they easily were as good or better than OEM for 1/10th the $. OEM pads are rediculously expensive for what you get.

I found what the Captain was talking about... the pads are at Advance Auto Parts: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...Gold_15520135-P_219_R|GRPBRCOAMS_566461679___

Last edited:
Just curious Captain, did you run the el-cheapo pads after you did your brake-duct mod or before?

Dan, you also might want to take a look at the Project Mu Type-NS for a street pad. They are about $75 per axle and will out-perform OEM in terms of bite and fade resistance. Plus, they are low dust and noise. Clearly still a street pad, but with a performance bump over OEM for a lot less $.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105175

Just curious Captain, did you run the el-cheapo pads after you did your brake-duct mod or before?

Dan, you also might want to take a look at the Project Mu Type-NS for a street pad. They are about $75 per axle and will out-perform OEM in terms of bite and fade resistance. Plus, they are low dust and noise. Clearly still a street pad, but with a performance bump over OEM for a lot less $.

Ok, where? I googled it and found nothing.

Last edited:
Really? Huh, I was just talking to them last weekend. I'll talk to them about changing that. Have any left over used pads they can use to cut the dimensions?

ohhhh do I have some left over used pads. :biggrin: Hey, see if I ship a set of front and rear to them if I can have a gratis set for the effort and shipping. :wink: I can ship out this week as I actually have a set already boxed up.

Jim

Last edited:
Gonna cost an extra $30 to get them here in time. I'm going with the Wearever's and calling it a day. Thanks for all the help/advice everyone!

Back