• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Breaking in a new NSX - opinions?

I'm happy to say that I'll be taking delivery of a new '05 NSX-T (Silverstone/Onyx) with only 75 miles on it; either tomorrow or Saturday. I haven't got the manual yet. So, I did a search and found a few posts and an FAQ about break-in:

"How Should I Break In The Engine?
All NSXs get a shakedown run around Honda's test track in Japan after they are built.

[A/H] The early pre-production cars were run at high speed around the test track. We learned early that the engines
didn't like it. Now the factory doesn't go over 5000 RPM when they run the cars around the track.

We also put in the owners manual that they should not rev over 5000 RPM for the first 500 or 600 miles.

"
  1. Besides the 5000 RPM limit for 500-600 miles, any other suggestions?
  2. Recommended freeway max cruising speed MPH?
  3. When cruising at freeway speed, keep varying speed by plus/minus 5 MPH?
  4. Can idling in place too long damage engine? And what is considered too long?
  5. I was planning on changing break-in oil at 3750 miles which is what Acura recommended for my Acura CL Type-S for my driving conditions. Is this also recommended for the NSX given that my driving conditions for it will be the same?
  6. How many miles should car have on it before attempting to bring RPMs up to RED-LINE?
  7. How many miles should car have on it before attempting WOT?

I say get on it right off the showroom floor. LOL!! Just kidding I would just go by the recommended break-in, in the owners manual. This will insure long life.

I have an RSX-S, but here's my suggestion, as I faced driving 450 out of the first 500 miles on the freeway: when freeway driving, mph doesn't matter as far as break-in, but rpm does. Vary between 5th and 6th speeds when cruising. After almost 60k miles, my RSX-S barely burns oil, even when vteccing all over the place, and gets better than average gas economy.

cls6sp03 said:
the 5000 RPM limit...

2. Recommended freeway max cruising speed MPH?
At 60 MPH in 6th gear, the engine turns at ~2400 RPM. So, 5000 RPM limit / 2400 RPM x 60 MPH = try to keep it under 125 MPH. :D

BTW: Congrats! Silverstone is a beautiful color and compliments the newer NSXs very nicely.

Thanks for all your feedback...

Yeah, I guess I did have a lot of questions... :eek: :D I just want to start things out right with my new baby... :wink:

It's strange because it hasn't fully sunken in that I'll be driving it very soon; I'm kind of in disbelieve mode. Unless I'm mistaken, the NSX is built much better quality wise than a Ferrari. But I'm biased.

cls6sp03 said:
Thanks for all your feedback...

Yeah, I guess I did have a lot of questions... :eek: :D I just want to start things out right with my new baby... :wink:

It's strange because it hasn't fully sunken in that I'll be driving it very soon; I'm kind of in disbelieve mode. Unless I'm mistaken, the NSX is built much better quality wise than a Ferrari. But I'm biased.

Congratulations. I have a 2004 with the same specs. Note the owner's manual states to NOT change the oil until the 1st recommended oil-change (7.5k miles).

Back