• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

broke my nsx

so driving home yesterday from a local car show ,on the hwy i tried to up shift to third gear (moving pretty good) pushed in the clutch and heard a bang,i think i broke the pressure plate anyone ever have this problem?

so driving home yesterday from a local car show ,on the hwy i tried to up shift to third gear (moving pretty good) pushed in the clutch and heard a bang,i think i broke the pressure plate anyone ever have this problem?

What?

If you shifted UP, then it should've been alright irregardless of where you are in the RPM range.
HOWEVER if you were going 'pretty good' as you say, then it sounds like you might've downshifted into third and over revved the engine and done some serious damage.:eek:
More info on the specifics would be helpful to determine exactly what you did.

He would have had to be moving extremely quick to downshift into 3rd and overrev. Over 105mph.

If the motor runs no cels and it won't go into gear then you jacked up the clutch/ trannie.If the motor sounds funny you are getting cels and esp a blinking cel you broke the motor.....so what is it.

If the motor runs no cels and it won't go into gear then you jacked up the clutch/ trannie.If the motor sounds funny you are getting cels and esp a blinking cel you broke the motor.....so what is it.
Yup.

If the motor runs fine, with no check engine lights, but you can't shift gears, my guess is that one of the springs on the clutch broke. In which case you need to buy a new clutch.

If the motor won't stay running, then it's possible you mis-shifted, maybe shifting into first when you wanted third, or something like that.

my stupid guess is that it was in the snap ring range, OP has a silver 92 NSX

the car runs fine i drove it home , i'm pretty sure it's the clutch .i can start the car but when i push the clutch in it makes a grinding noise ,yes the car is in snap ring range but if it was the tranny that broke there would be oil everywhere and the car wouldn't have driven home can shift the car without the clutch and it drives fine ,thats why i think it's the clutch. i will be taking it apart this weekend and find out what happened..oh and no i didn't down shift or miss shift i was shifting from 2-3rd at about 7000 rpm when i pushed in the clutch it went bang

Back