• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Broken door latch

Well my failure matches the FAQ to a T. Went to open the door and I heard the crack and then the door would not open from the inside.

The FAQ shows a list of parts that are part of a "Kit".

Door lock switch/cable
Latch spring
Mounting brackets
The latch itself
Latch housing.

Is this an official Acura kit that a dealer can order? I assume as much but did not see any part number for the kit.

The dealer claims to never heard of the problem and wants me to come in with the car to inspect and then they will order the parts.

Pretty easy to fix. See this Link

Thanks SoCalDude,

I just sent an e mail to the dealer with the repair and request to do the window reg repair and called SOS to place an order.

I feel better knowning that I don't have to go with complete replacement of the assembly.

Dave

Re: Update to Broken door latch

Thanks Chris. I spoke with Seth this morning and placed an order for the latch repair and two window regulator repair parts.

I have no idea what it takes to install either of the parts (other than it would appear that the door panel needs to be removed) but I sent the detailed instructions to the local acura dealer and the quoted me $225 per door for the window reg repair and $135 per door on the latch. I am assuming an $85 - $90 cost per hour here in the Detroit area. Does the labor sound close to what it should be?

Dave in Clarkston said:
I sent the detailed instructions to the local acura dealer and the quoted me $225 per door for the window reg repair and $135 per door on the latch.
Do the latch yourself. I am not much of a mechanic but I was able to replace the latch myself in about an hour with the one from SOS. Your $270 can be spent on other fun stuff!

I have no idea what it takes to install either of the parts (other than it would appear that the door panel needs to be removed) but I sent the detailed instructions to the local acura dealer and the quoted me $225 per door for the window reg repair and $135 per door on the latch. I am assuming an $85 - $90 cost per hour here in the Detroit area. Does the labor sound close to what it should be?

Unless you know the tech who is going to work on your car: I recommend [highly] against it. Usually dealers only install OEM parts. And if they break or scratch something they will state: "Sorry, but you should have used OEM parts."

Dealers are Part and Assembly Changers only, not economical or precision repair depots.

Despite what you think: the dealer probably DOES NOT have the expertise and/or fortitude to do this job. As simple as it is...

I recommend you do it yourself. It will take just as much time to do the actual work yourself (slowly and carefully), than to make appointments, drive the car over, get a ride back, wait for it and have the possibility of not being happy.

If you don't do the work yourself, I would take the car to a reputable high-end stereo installer, the ones that fabricate custom enclosures and wire up extremely complicated features. They should have a gadget guy that can do this easily enough...just give him all the instructions (and the below FAQ).

Drew

Iv'e written up a nice FAQ on how to remove the doors panels....take advantage of it. http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/bose_rr.htm

Dave in Clarkston said:

Dave,

Do it yourself. :cool:

Mine broke also just last Sunday. I was clueless on the damage and repair. As usually I logged on to the Prime hoping to find some info then there was your post. :biggrin: Make a long story short, it took me 10 minutes to remove and disassemble the door handle assembly, and removed the broken latch. Now I just have to order the "thingy" from SOS. Yo .. Chris, get ready to pick up your phone. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Re: Broken door latch update

Many thanks to those that encouraged me to change out the latch myself. Armed with the instructions listed found here and with a couple of pages from a manual (also found here) I was able to complete the task in about one hour. Very easy fix. :smile: The part from SOS worked perfect. Now for the window fix'it things. I don't know that I am going to take on that project.

I spoke with John and Acura of Brookfield regarding an updated upper trans case for my snap ring "in range" trans and a clutch. I think I'll add the window reg repair to the list of things to have them do.

Back