• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Broken timing belt?

Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions to consult with you guys... Do you guys think whether would a broken timing belt's engine still be able to be ignited and run idle for 10-20 secs?

Well, I think I had my timing belt broken. I'am not so sure.. I just had my car towed to the workshop this morning and I'm still waiting for their inspection and to tell me the result.

I was driving on a single lane road at lower than average speed (@ around 52KM/H @ 1500 rpm). Suddenly, I heard a reving sound from the engine and my car lost its motion. I quickly pull it over to the road side and killed the engine immediately. Coz, I was guessing (pretty confidently) that I must have my timing belt broken. I never have it changed... neither its previous owner. I was thinking of getting it changed next month. But, it broke sooner than I expected. However, I did not heard any knocking or banging sound from the engine. So, I assume I didn't hit my engine... I know it is hard to say... since it is an intercept type of engine...

But do you know what ? I was crazy enough to attempt to ignite the engine again and surprisingly, the engine would still be able to be ignited and run idle normally with no funny noise. But then, it killed itself after 10-20sec... After a few hours later, I attempt to do the same thing again, and same thing happen...

So, what would you guys think? Its kinda weird to me and I just don't get the idea of why it will still be able to run if the timing belt had broken already? If the timing belt is still good, then what make my engine killed automatically after 10 sec?

I feel for you bro. The guys here like Larry B, Drew and Daedalus might be able to advise you on this. I hope it's not the T-belt. Where do you plan to send your car? My advise is not to send the car to Car Serve workshop.

Best of luck on fixing it. Btw thanks for the Japan address you gave me to order the NSX parts. It would really save me a lot of money than buying from the dealer. (Dealer charged me more than double the price of original Japan)

Daedalus said:
It would not have started if the belt was broken.
However, it would have started and died if the timing belt stretched enough to jump the timing. This can bend the valves in the engine. It would then have exactly the symptoms you are describing. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

Jin1976 said:
My advise is not to send the car to Car Serve workshop... ... Best of luck on fixing it. Btw thanks for the Japan address you gave me to order the NSX parts.

Thanks for your luck, dude... I guess I really need it. I think I would know the result by today... Hope nothing terrible happen to the engine.

No problem, dude. We're driving the same car in Brunei. I understand the pain for getting NSX parts in Brunei here. But please do not simply give it to non NSX owner, ya? The lesser people to know, the better. I don't wish to be the criminal for the automotive part market here. Hahahaha

IsR said:
Hope its nothing serious! Do give us updates
Sure, will do :)

When you turn the key to "ON' without starting the engine do you hear the fuel pump running?

Yupe, I'm sure I did hear the pump sound plus two clicking sound from the relay.

Larry B said:
Perform a compression test. This will tell the story.
Yeah, my mechanic told me the same thing too... will keep you guys updated...

It's getting time for Charlotte's second timing belt since I've owned her. The current one has 90,000 "odometer" miles on it. However since my tire diameters are about 2.8% larger than stock would that mean the actual miles are 2.8% higher than what the odometer says because of the fewer revs per mile of the aftermarket tire?

Hugh said:
It's getting time for Charlotte's second timing belt since I've owned her. The current one has 90,000 "odometer" miles on it. However since my tire diameters are about 2.8% larger than stock would that mean the actual miles are 2.8% higher than what the odometer says because of the fewer revs per mile of the aftermarket tire?
What you're saying is, the odometer says the timing belt has 90,000 miles on it, but the car has actually traveled almost 93,000 miles. Either way, it's time to change the timing belt. NOW.

C30A4 said:
Hi guys,

I was driving on a single lane road at lower than average speed (@ around 52KM/H @ 1500 rpm). Suddenly, I heard a reving sound from the engine and my car lost its motion.

Are you sure you did not lose the clutch?

EIFFEL said:
Maybe ignition switch shorting out. If timing belt is broken or jumped time, the car will not start.

Ignition switch... is it a match box like thingy above the throttle body? Would it indicate error lights on the dashboard if it fails?

Ignition switch failure will most likely cause symptoms such as, engine stalled momentarily, abs/srs/brake warning coming on. maybe 1 or more lights coming on. Engine will catch and not stay running. It is located behind the ignition key lock cylinder. you will have to remove the steering column covers and lower dash cover to get to it.

EIFFEL said:
If timing belt is broken or jumped time, the car will not start.

That is not correct. My crank pulley broke this summer, and it caused my timing to skip a bit, and it did almost what he is describing. It was only started once after the incident to see if it would start, and it did.

EIFFEL said:
Ignition switch failure will most likely cause symptoms such as, engine stalled momentarily, abs/srs/brake warning coming on. maybe 1 or more lights coming on. Engine will catch and not stay running. It is located behind the ignition key lock cylinder. you will have to remove the steering column covers and lower dash cover to get to it.

Hmm... I'm not sure whether you are right or not. But i really hope it is that simple. Thanks for your input. I'll ask my mechanic to look into that.

Cheers! :wink:

nsxtasy said:
What you're saying is, the odometer says the timing belt has 90,000 miles on it, but the car has actually traveled almost 93,000 miles. Either way, it's time to change the timing belt. NOW.

Just went in the garage and changed it. :)

Seriously though, isn't the updated service interval 7 years/100,000 miles?

Hugh said:
Just went in the garage and changed it. :)

Seriously though, isn't the updated service interval 7 years/100,000 miles?

My service advisor has told me I could do it at 7 years / 105K miles like the 97+ nsx maintenance schedule as the parts are the same. I have never seen it in writing though.

Oh goody! 105K miles means I could go another couple of months. :)
Maybe I'll volunteer my car for Nabil and Oster to demonstrate a timing belt/water pump change at NSXPO.

Hugh said:
isn't the updated service interval 7 years/100,000 miles?
No. You're thinking of the recommendation for the '97-05 NSX with the 3.2-liter engine, which is 7 years and 105,000 miles. The recommendation for the '91-96 NSX is still 6 years or 90,000 miles, whichever comes first. And while you might stretch the time interval if you wanted, I would STRONGLY recommend not stretching the mileage interval. Timing belts have been known to fail in the 95-100K mile range, and I can assure you that it's a whole lot more money to fix one that failed than to replace one. So risking another couple of months could cost you thousands of dollars. But hey, it's your car, and your money, and your expenditure either way; we've had a flurry of timing belt failures reported here in the past few months, why not one more?

The part number has not changed and since this belt has only been on the car about 2 years I'm not too worried about it. Most if not all of the failures reported were on low mileage early vintage cars. I'd be a lot more concerned with a 14 year old timing belt that had 50,000 miles on it than with a 2 year old timing belt with 95,000 miles on it.

Your concern is duly noted and appreciated. I do plan on addressing this issue in the very near future.
Maybe I'll install the Toda timing belt and never change it again. :)

Hugh said:
Most if not all of the failures reported were on low mileage early vintage cars.
That's only true of the ones reported in the past few months. Like I mentioned, I've heard of several others that failed at 95K miles with less than 6 years on them.

Hugh said:
I'd be a lot more concerned with a 14 year old timing belt that had 50,000 miles on it than with a 2 year old timing belt with 95,000 miles on it.
I'd be VERY concerned with either one. But hey, I've heard Nabil is looking for someone to provide a car for his seminar at NSXPO 2006 on rebuilding the NSX engine. :D

Hugh said:
Maybe I'll install the Toda timing belt and never change it again.
You're thinking of the Yoda timing belt, the one that can work when it's older than the hills. :D

Toda Racing site seems to be under construction. Any one know what's going on?

Hey guys, guess this is a good news... for me (of course :p)
Well, just check out with my mechanic, he managed to have the head cover opened & took a peep on the timing belt. guess what? the belt is still firmly attached on it. Then he crank the engine to inspect the belt & there are no sign off crack or worn out, oil soaked, or whatsoever. Well, I'am so relieved to hear that from him. At least I was given the last chance to replace my timing belt before it really break!

Then he put everything back to the engine & run it. This time, the engine runs like normal & never dies. He took a short test drive around & everything seems normal to him. Then, in order to answer my mystery of why my car lost motion when i was driving it that day, he checked my transmission fluid (A/T) and he realised that it is extremely LOW! He proclaim that's the reason why.

But guys, i found one thing funny about my mechanic explanation. Because, i'm pretty sure that i did checked my trans fluid before i left my house with my NSX that day, it was full. Two days ago, before i tow my car to the garage, I checked all the fluid includind the trans fluid, it was full too! But now he is telling me that my trans fluid is extremely low. Do you think that is possible? then he explain again, I should check the trans fluid when the engine is running. otherwise, the reading will not be correct. Is that true?

On regarding of why my engine would kill itself off after a few seconds of idling, he suspect that my compressor might be the culprit. Well, he say he is still unsure about it. He will continue the investigation tomorrow.

Can you name me the shop you send your car to? I'm a little curious about this mechanic.
C30A4 said:
Hey guys, guess this is a good news... for me (of course :p)
Well, just check out with my mechanic, he managed to have the head cover opened & took a peep on the timing belt. guess what? the belt is still firmly attached on it. Then he crank the engine to inspect the belt & there are no sign off crack or worn out, oil soaked, or whatsoever. Well, I'am so relieved to hear that from him. At least I was given the last chance to replace my timing belt before it really break!

Then he put everything back to the engine & run it. This time, the engine runs like normal & never dies. He took a short test drive around & everything seems normal to him. Then, in order to answer my mystery of why my car lost motion when i was driving it that day, he checked my transmission fluid (A/T) and he realised that it is extremely LOW! He proclaim that's the reason why.

But guys, i found one thing funny about my mechanic explanation. Because, i'm pretty sure that i did checked my trans fluid before i left my house with my NSX that day, it was full. Two days ago, before i tow my car to the garage, I checked all the fluid includind the trans fluid, it was full too! But now he is telling me that my trans fluid is extremely low. Do you think that is possible? then he explain again, I should check the trans fluid when the engine is running. otherwise, the reading will not be correct. Is that true?

On regarding of why my engine would kill itself off after a few seconds of idling, he suspect that my compressor might be the culprit. Well, he say he is still unsure about it. He will continue the investigation tomorrow.

Back