• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Build questions

Gentleman,
I have been racing and developing an Audi A4 for the last four years, and competing with NASA currently GTS 2. I am now looking for a change of platform and am currently considering three different models. The NSX, Mazda RX7 ('93+), and the Porsche 911. I am the type to research a decision to death before making it, and currently the NSX is at the top of the list. I have read the Wikki and the FAQ on this site. I did get some good information, but now its time to consult the experts....the actual owners. I am looking for any tidbit of info that can help with my platform decision. What are the factory weak points on the NSX that will not hold up to racing (all cars have them)? What are the best modifications for track use, and which areas should be addressed first? I am not looking to build a 700hp drag car. I am a road racer and would most likely start with suspension, brakes, cooling, fluids and go from there. Power mods are NOT the priority here. I have read a few posts that appear to be from a pretty serious race team, maybe those folks could chime in here.

Thank you,
Dave Fletcher
Fletcher Racing

Oiling system - these cars are known to have oil starvation issues, which as you know leads to spun rod bearings. This crank dosn't have many rod bearing sizes and usually a spun bearing = lost crank. Many top NSX shops (including ourselves) have come up with billet cranks with larger chevy rod journals that have limitless sizes for cranks to be cut down if bearings are spun.

Baffled pans, accusumps, and increasing the oil capacity are very important.

Tire sizes - can't fit that big of a front tire under the car.

Brakes - few good aftermarket options out there but one big suprise in the near future ;)

Suspension - For racing use: KW, JRZ/Moton, Penske 2-way or 3-way adjustable dampers.

Transmission - getting rid of the US gear ratio and going to the Japanese/rest of the world gear ratio is a must.

LSD - Stock unit can be built to tighter tolerances but a proper salisbury is recommended (OS Giken) and 4.44 final drive can be used or the stock 4.06 - 4.23 are available from the NSX-R.

Last edited:
That's the type of info I'm looking for, thank you. From the looks of your car it appears you have addressed the front tire issue, and any other issues(awesome car), with a wide body approach. I'm guessing you are getting at least a 285 tire under there? I googled FX Motorsports and found some good photos and videos, but no website, do you have a website? I will be searching the forums for more of your posts and info tidbits, thanks again.

That's the type of info I'm looking for, thank you. From the looks of your car it appears you have addressed the front tire issue, and any other issues(awesome car), with a wide body approach. I'm guessing you are getting at least a 285 tire under there? I googled FX Motorsports and found some good photos and videos, but no website, do you have a website? I will be searching the forums for more of your posts and info tidbits, thanks again.
280 front 330 rear Yokohama A005 racing slicks. The car has an extremely poor turning radius (like any GT or prototype car) but other than track use, it is very inconvenient. Many modifications were made to fit those tires under the car and even then its all a big compromise.

Our website has been down for a while and unfortunately dosn't look like it will be up in the near future due to other priorities and further development for the next race.

Billy

Brakes - few good aftermarket options out there but one big suprise in the near future ;)

Spill the beans! My 2pc front rotors are almost in need of replacement. Will this "surprise" be available before spring? And will I have to sell one of my kidneys for the $$$?

Last edited:
Spill the beans! My 2pc front rotors are almost in need of replacement. Will this "surprise" be available before spring? And will I have to sell one of my kidneys for the $$$?
Yes and yes. They should arrive next week ;)

Hint: the best brake package ever made for the NSX.

Back