• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

that's a lot of front negative camber... idk how you are even getting that.

..................... I tried to max out the caster on my other car the other day (much easier to adjust) and the straight tracking was good but the steering felt a bit dull. Not sure how my NSX would react to max caster..

You will get that sensation with max caster as well on an NSX with power steering.

Man you are going so fast your zero is peeling off....
Darnit! Probably cost me at least .0001sec. per lap. :biggrin:

Those are actually magnetic numbers that I had made for a previous track car that had a steel body.
Now, I have to stick them on with tape which is pretty ridiculous, especially when someone is watching me do this...:confused:

Last edited:
Im dying to go to Sonoma raceway. I keep kicking myself for not going when I lived in San Jose. I might have to make a trip! Glad to hear all that money spent was worth it. Hopefully next time some competition shows up.

Definitely worth the trip to Sonoma. It's as close as they get to an 'NSX track'. Just wish they'd change the name back to Sears Point Raceway. It's what we call it anyway.

Sears Point / Infineon / Sonoma - Too many names.

I actually drove the car up from SoCal. What other car can you drive 500+ miles to the track, switch tires, scorch the entire field, then drive 500+ miles home?

I drive mine to the track to but usually only to buttonwillow and chuck walla, and I don't have track only tires which isn't a big deal..im not that good anyways. Looks like il have to plan a trip up.

Weren't you going to post up a list of track events you were planning to attend so we could witness your greatness?

Weren't you going to post up a list of track events you were planning to attend so we could witness your greatness?
Sensing a note of sarcasm here...

Fyi I'm signed up for a NASA event @ Infineon/Sears Point on June 16. Anyone in the vicinity come on over and say hi.

I posted this on this thread back on 5/09 that I would be attending this event and I have refered to it on many posts leading up to it.

Due to some personal issues that I'm forced to deal with, it's difficult for me plan ahead of time. Every time I do one of these, I say to myself; "ok, thats the last one for a while". As we all know all too well, once the track gets under your skin, its really hard to stay away. It's like a drug addiction, only more expensive. And its a better 'buzz' than any drug I know of too.

But I can quit any time I want too, right? :redface:

Having said that, if my schedule allows, I'd like to do at least one more Sears Point this year and I will post here if I do.

no no.....no sarcasm......I have actually told you before that I want to come out and see you run and possibly participate in the event myself. I had forgotten you mentioned the 16th. I understand due to your current situation you may not be able to make advance schedules but whenever you decide to go again please post it up. I would like to get a ride-along and have you ride with me for some critiquing.

Diaper Check On The T6 Carousel @ 1:10

5th & last session of the day. Track condition was greasy as a racing Porsche had dropped all his oil on the racing line. I have a friend in the car with me who I promissed I would be taking it easy... Until we hit the Porsche's oil slick exiting the T6 Carousel @ about 1:10. Enjoy!

Link to video in HD: www.facebook.com/video (click on HD icon on lower right of screen)

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=170540053117760" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

no no.....no sarcasm......I have actually told you before that I want to come out and see you run and possibly participate in the event myself. I had forgotten you mentioned the 16th. I understand due to your current situation you may not be able to make advance schedules but whenever you decide to go again please post it up. I would like to get a ride-along and have you ride with me for some critiquing.

Absolutely, I'd love to get a bunch of Primers out there together for some track time and good times. I'd like to check out that sweet ride of yours too.

Apparently, there was a red NSX out there on Saturday the day before, but I don't know if it was a Primer.

Last edited:
I am in Sausalito a few times a year. I will make a point to try to see youy on track next time. Then go to Ram's gate. That track looks fun.

sorry to hear about the upcoming divorce.
that battery saves a lot of weight I've had one in my car for a year and it is noticeable not only on the track but in day to day driving as well.
here are a couple of shots of the lightweight front beam for you from Procar. you will lose the windscreen washer bottle I just got a generic bag with pump from a local auto store

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your kind words of encouragement & condolences, both online & pm's. It is truly appreciated. Through this life challenge I've discovered it is far better to share this experience with friends then try to keep it bottled up inside. I don't know what I'd do without my friends right now. Cheers.

NSX2Play said:
Why the StopTech BBK and not Brembo BBK? Was your decision solely based on cost? What about Brembo's significantly more substantial track record? Or that their calipers are narrower and allow an offset closer to OEM?

1K2GO said:
Easy choice; As much as I am a huge Brembo fan, having toured the factory outside of Bergamo Italy and I have owned several versions on different vehicles, the Stoptech ST40 system was designed specifically for the NSX and is a great brake system. Where as the Brembo system is a generic off the shelf set-up. My Stoptechs are one of the most significant upgrades I've done for the track and even with the original pads, I am able to out brake and dive in deeper than virtually everything else that comes my way on the track. They turn a negative into a game changing strength. My .002

Isn't the ST-40 used in multiple kits and not just for the NSX? The rotor hats and caliper brackets must be vehicle specific, but the same is true of the Brembo kit. I cannot find anything that indicates they were designed solely for the NSX. How is it unique to the NSX?

I am going to a BBK this winter since my home track is very hard on brakes and while I have no problem decelerating (I can lock my front tires - R compound with OEM calipers, StopTech AeroRotors and Ferodo pads) I have a big problem with heat since the track is short with most corners requiring heavy braking. A BBK will help or solve the heat dissipation issue. I'm trying to determine if there is any merit to spending the extra dollars for the Brembo kit. Sorry, to bring this point back up but I would appreciate your advice given your experience with both.

the st kit has proper nsx specific bias..thats all.most good bbk kits can be balanced with differing pads, and just using the front bbk with the oem rear.

Stoptech kit was actually developed and tested on a real NSX, and they bias was chosen to provide the best performance. Brembo kit was not. Just like suspension, the KW V3 spent a lot of time on a real NSX, whereas tons of coilovers are made by just using a computer and not something like a shock dyno. Doc is right, you can change bias playing with pads and rotor types/sizes but out of the box the stoptech is a better balanced system than the brembo NSX kit. Beyond the "out of the box bolt-on" thing, you get into fine tuning, even the track, type of tires, your vehicles current weight balance, they all come into play. Then you just have to play and tune.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry to hear about the upcoming divorce.
that battery saves a lot of weight I've had one in my car for a year and it is noticeable not only on the track but in day to day driving as well.
here are a couple of shots of the lightweight front beam for you from Procar. you will lose the windscreen washer bottle I just got a generic bag with pump from a local auto store

The OEM beam seems to wrap around, the procar one does not. So on an offset impact seems like that OEM clearly affords more protection to the vehicle.

The only Brembo kit that was developed with the NSX in mind was with their Indy caliper that Comptech offered long ago.

I never drove an NSX with one on it so considering that, the ST kit is, IMHO, the best out there.

Last edited:
I am in Sausalito a few times a year. I will make a point to try to see youy on track next time. Then go to Ram's gate. That track looks fun.
Give me a little notice ahead of time so I can coordinate with you.

I love Sausalito too, it reminds me of the Italian lakes. I was having dinner at Poggio at the same time the SF Ferrari Club was gathered for their annual wine & cheese tour. They were incensed that my car was getting more attention than all there shiny red F-cars. All the waiters kept coming by our table and telling us what bunch of dickheads the Ferrari club owners are and how they'd much rather have an NSX any day. Good times.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't the ST-40 used in multiple kits and not just for the NSX? The rotor hats and caliper brackets must be vehicle specific, but the same is true of the Brembo kit. I cannot find anything that indicates they were designed solely for the NSX. How is it unique to the NSX?

I am going to a BBK this winter since my home track is very hard on brakes and while I have no problem decelerating (I can lock my front tires - R compound with OEM calipers, StopTech AeroRotors and Ferodo pads) I have a big problem with heat since the track is short with most corners requiring heavy braking. A BBK will help or solve the heat dissipation issue. I'm trying to determine if there is any merit to spending the extra dollars for the Brembo kit. Sorry, to bring this point back up but I would appreciate your advice given your experience with both.
Agree with all the other responses and would only add that with all the R&D benefits you get with the Stoptechs, you also get more bang for the buck on initial investment and replacement parts. Money that can be put use elsewhere on your project.

Agree with all the other responses and would only add that with all the R&D benefits you get with the Stoptechs, you also get more bang for the buck on initial investment and replacement parts. Money that can be put use elsewhere on your project.
+1

I'm shocked with how little these pads have worn down. I stop and check my pads after a session on the track and wonder.. damn... something's wrong. These should have worn off much more.

I also think anything in between 55-65% front bias will likely be ok for most people. Mine and the STs run 63% but iirc the NSX-R is 57%?

Sears Point Raceway 06/16/2013

Clicking off the laps at the end of the day. There's oil down in the line and I have a passenger onboard so I'm only doing about 8/10ths intensity.

To view this in HD click here: HD Video Click on the HD icon at the bottom of the screen.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=170862693085496" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:
Back