• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Busted Key Fob...

Hi guys,

The battery in my key fob was running low, so eventually I replaced the battery :) which worked fine for a few days. However, now only the lock button works. The good news is that my NSX is nicely tucked up safe and sound at my house but unfortunately I cant drive it anywhere.

Problem being I can't drive it to Honda to get a new key fob coded to it.

Aaarrgghhhh...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Thomas

Sorry should probably mention that it is a UK spec 91 with OEM key fob alarm and imobiliser.

Where's the key? Locked in the car?

By the way, is your town named in honor of.....................

maidenanim.gif

???? :)

Up The Irons!

and your key wont unlock the door anymore?

I can unlock the door as I still have the key, but without being able to disable the imobiliser as the key fob doesn't work. I can't start the engine.

Does anyone know how to program a new key fob to the car or disable the imobiliser so I can drive it to Honda to get a new key fob coded?

Picture of Key fob attached it is a UK car with a UK keyfob.

Attachments

• DSC00153.jpg
    DSC00153.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
What year is your NSX? That doesn't look like an OEM remote fob. If you have an aftermarket alarm with immobilizer there is probably a disable switch hidden under the dash somewhere?

Also, looking at the picture it looks like one of the buttons is stuck inwards. Maybe when you opened it up to replace the battery one of the push buttons is stuck depressed.

What year is your NSX? That doesn't look like an OEM remote fob. If you have an aftermarket alarm with immobilizer there is probably a disable switch hidden under the dash somewhere?

Also, looking at the picture it looks like one of the buttons is stuck inwards. Maybe when you opened it up to replace the battery one of the push buttons is stuck depressed.

My car is a 1991 model, I understood it to be an OEM keyfob when I bought the car.

The button isn't depressed in the photo but the cover isn't screwed down so just looks that way.

That does not look like an OEM alarm remote for a 1991. I doubt that Honda would make a different remote for different markets.

Look for any sort of markings on the fob, on the circuit board inside, etc. and do a Google search which might lead you to the alarm brand (if it isn't a Honda OEM alarm and fob) and instructions on its use.

If it's an aftermarket alarm, look for a valet switch under the dash. Using this switch and your ignition key you may be able override the immobilizer.

That there is an immobilizer at all is another reason (with the non-OEM FOB) to assume this isn't an OEM system. 1991 NSX were not built with an immobilizer. The nature of a immobilizer is a third sign it's not OEM (the newer NSXs that are equipped with immobilizers rely a chip in the key...so you can unlock/drive the car without the FOB...as long as you have the key).

Back