• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can I drive the NSX to work?

I'd like to throw this out and see if anyone can relate to how I feel.

I just purchased a new NSX (today)
And although I would like to drive it as much as possible I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it to work.
I don't work in a high paying industry where it would be normal to see a car of it's caliber however more of a pickup truck and beater car kind of place.
Most of my co-workers are the major bread winner in their family's and could never imagine buying a $150k+ car. I on the other hand have a wife who is very well compensated in her career plus the fact we have been very careful with our money and done without a lot of the toys others enjoy. So I (we) decided to splurge a little and live the dream.

Just wondering if any of you can relate to this feeling? I honestly can't decide if I can drive it to work, I don't want to offend anyone.

I've been in those shoes plenty of times. I work in the corporate world, but I'm 32 and usually have a nicer car than our CEO or other C level execs. I'm sure they have more money in the bank than me, but I choose to spend my money on cars and they spend it (or save it) on whatever they love. I have always been timid every time I buy a new secondary car and usually park that in my assigned spot in a separate garage where less employees park. I let them believe whatever they want (some probably think I'm a trust fund kid and some probably think I'm in debt over my head)...whatever they want to think makes me be able to drive/own that car.

Every time I get a new car it gets a little easier since now co-workers have come to expect a flashy, over the top car parked in my spot every 6 months or so. :D Enjoy the car and let them think whatever they want.

Just wondering if any of you can relate to this feeling? I honestly can't decide if I can drive it to work, I don't want to offend anyone.

Did "you" earn the money? Honestly by driving it, would you not be showing how HARD work, diligence and fiscal responsibility pays off? Last I looked, this is America and you have the right, privilege to drive whatever your heart desires...JM2C...I could be wrong...:tongue:

If you have a feeling that someone could key your car then don't put it in that situation.

Last edited:
I try to make it a point to drive mine at least once a week to work.

The first time was priceless.

Most people appreciate a nice car.

Everyone spends their money differently. For many years, I'd make a good living (compared to others my age) and yet I still lived paycheck to paycheck. Once I learned (at a younger age than most) about budgeting myself and saving, I learned I could save up money and buy whatever I wanted in the process. Some people spend hundreds/thousands per month on drinking or eating dinners out. I don't drink (for one) and choose to eat out much less frequently than most of my friends. I save per month the amount of money they spend on drinking/eating out and use that money on cars.

It has been a while since I've had a commute so can't relate much anymore with the overall workforce dilemma. If it is anything like the general remarks received out in public and when driving to other events, it'll be a mixture of positive reactions and, on a lesser scale, what I perceive as passive aggressive remarks. It is unavoidable to some extent so I wouldn't sweat it. Everyone has their own hobbies and expenses they indulge in. One of our main ones are obviously cars. Enjoy the car and call it a day.

Congratulations

I drive mine once or twice a week to work but I work at a Fortune 200 Pharma Biotech with a lot of highly compensated folks.

The only cars with similar or higher MSRPs are a few Porsche Turbos and the CEOs Bentley convertible.

I get plenty of complements and folks want to learn about my Landlording hobby that pays for stupid stuff like the NSX.

I drive mine to work and park it in the sea of McLaren 570's that popped up over the last year or so. Can't wait to still be driving it to work once those start dropping like flies due to major mechanical issues...

My Gen2 is my daily driver. I have an assigned parking spot right in front of the lobby of my building. Everyone sees the car coming and going. A few of the other doctors in my building have asked me about the car as it's the nicest car there. Some of my patients who know I'm a car nut have asked if the NSX is mine and I tell them yes. However, at any time during the day there are multiple cars that cost more than my NSX driven by patients. I have learned that there is no shame in driving a nice car if that's what you enjoy. Some people have vacation homes that they only use a few weeks of the year. I drive my vacation home everyday.

Whats the use of having a car if you dont drive it when you want? Dont worry about other people. Everyone is too worried about what other people have instead of celebrating for them. Enjoy the car

My Gen2 is my daily driver. I have an assigned parking spot right in front of the lobby of my building. Everyone sees the car coming and going. A few of the other doctors in my building have asked me about the car as it's the nicest car there. Some of my patients who know I'm a car nut have asked if the NSX is mine and I tell them yes. However, at any time during the day there are multiple cars that cost more than my NSX driven by patients. I have learned that there is no shame in driving a nice car if that's what you enjoy. Some people have vacation homes that they only use a few weeks of the year. I drive my vacation home everyday.

Lol awesome, Yes I do as well drive my car daily M-F, on the weekends it just seats in the garage I either take my second car or my wife's car but its funny my car also has an assigned parking spot in front of the lobby of our office building... :biggrin:

Only you know the culture of your workplace, and how your coworkers (peers, subordinates, and even bosses) will react. The fact that you are asking this question indicates you at the very least have a nagging doubt about it. What everyone else said is right about "it's your money", "don't worry what other people think", etc., but in the real world (particularly when it comes to our careers) what other people think can actually be very important. I'm sure you've heard the saying "perception is reality"; you probably can't control other peoples' perception of you driving to your pick-em-up-truck workplace in a supercar.

It has been a while since I've had a commute so can't relate much anymore with the overall workforce dilemma. If it is anything like the general remarks received out in public and when driving to other events, it'll be a mixture of positive reactions and, on a lesser scale, what I perceive as passive aggressive remarks. It is unavoidable to some extent so I wouldn't sweat it. Everyone has their own hobbies and expenses they indulge in. One of our main ones are obviously cars. Enjoy the car and call it a day.
Amazing that there are people that would give you negative remarks. That's pretty low of them. I'd be inclined to tell them that if they wanted one, perhaps they could work a little harder and maybe they could get one themselves. No need to be jealous...

bngl3rt said:
I drive mine to work and park it in the sea of McLaren 570's that popped up over the last year or so. Can't wait to still be driving it to work once those start dropping like flies due to major mechanical issues...

I've never seen a row of exotics like that at a workplace (perhaps a couple of them), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them at Google, Facebook, Apple, etc, parking lots. :)

DocL said:

Very nice Doc!

extreme said:
I've actually found the factory H emblems for the NSX ... Thought about getting them just to be different.

That would be cool. Not sure if anyone has seen this, but here's a Honda guy that has already done that:

I just purchased a new NSX (today)
And although I would like to drive it as much as possible I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it to work.
I don't work in a high paying industry where it would be normal to see a car of it's caliber however more of a pickup truck and beater car kind of place.
Most of my co-workers are the major bread winner in their family's and could never imagine buying a $150k+ car. I on the other hand have a wife who is very well compensated in her career plus the fact we have been very careful with our money and done without a lot of the toys others enjoy. So I (we) decided to splurge a little and live the dream. I don't want to offend anyone.

I'd suggest that if you sense driving an NSX to work might have some negative results from co-workers, then follow your instincts and leave it at home.
Sometime conspicuous consumption is inappropriate.
Sounds to me like you have sound judgement.
Follow it.

Simple answer is NO don't drive it to work. You already pointed out the factors so it's obviously something you are aware....

People outside the car industry would not appreciate it for sure. We never drive our exotics to clients unless they already have one.

Only you know the culture of your workplace, and how your coworkers (peers, subordinates, and even bosses) will react. The fact that you are asking this question indicates you at the very least have a nagging doubt about it. What everyone else said is right about "it's your money", "don't worry what other people think", etc., but in the real world (particularly when it comes to our careers) what other people think can actually be very important. I'm sure you've heard the saying "perception is reality"; you probably can't control other peoples' perception of you driving to your pick-em-up-truck workplace in a supercar.

Agreed - well said! Very few professions you can say "screw you" and I'll do as I please.....unless you are a rapper we don't know about :)

Agreed - well said! Very few professions you can say "screw you" and I'll do as I please.....unless you are a rapper we don't know about :)

Awesome.
I just finished residency last year and am going to pay off my loans before considering anything luxury spending. My current office building is shared my dentists, doctors, lawyers, etc. And some parking spots are regularly seen with higher level cars (911 Turbo, Macan Turbo, RS7, Alfa 4C, etc.) Though in my clinic none of the other staff, as far as I know, are into cars. Did have an attending during my training that drove a Panamera but other docs were perfectly happy with Corollas/Accords.

Back