• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cantrell Concepts Air Intake Opinion

Got my first two modifications for the NSX a couple weeks back. First, I purchased the Smartenna and also the Cantrell concepts Air Intake and Uni Filter. Bought both from SOS and have no complaints at all. Shipping took a little longer than expected, but I was out of town for the duration so it wasn't a big deal. Customer service was great.

Installed the smartenna without a hitch. It was probably one of the easiest parts i've ever installed on a car. Directions are perfect. And now that damn antenna stays the hell down when the cd player is on~!

On to the intake...Install went flawlessly until I got to the part where I had to slip the intake into the existing rubber vent protruding from the stock airbox. It literally took me about a half hour to finally maneuver the damn thing into place. And when i was trying to screw it down so it wouldn't move, it would pop back out. I was getting quite pissed.

I finally got the thing in place, tightened everything down and was ready to go. At this point I was really miffed at how tough it was to fit, so I was expecting stellar performance out of the thing.

Started the engine and I could immediately hear the damn thing sucking like an 18 year old catholic school girl. Took it for a spin and the sound was just absolutely ridiculous. Actually makes the car sound like a sports car. I was very impressed to say the least, and I even think I noticed some improved throttle response and a kick in the butt dyno.

Both very good parts. If for the sound alone, the Cantrell seems worth it to me. I'd recommend both to anyone despite the pain in the ass i had installing the intake.

SilverStone05 said:
Started the engine and I could immediately hear the damn thing sucking like an 18 year old catholic school girl. .

Priceless! :biggrin:

SilverStone05 said:
Took it for a spin and the sound was just absolutely ridiculous. Actually makes the car sound like a sports car.

lol i like my Cantrel AIS too but damn, you make it sound like the oem sounds like a yugo :biggrin:

I too got a Smartenna and a Cantrel with Uni filter a couple weeks ago from SOS (also a Taitec JGTC).

The Smartenna is the most brilliant thing Ive ever seen. The Cantrell is INCREDIBLE. It sounds like mine went in a little easier than yours; mine popped out a couple times, then I just kept it in place while I tightened the unit. Not that SOS needs anyone to vouch for them anymore, but this was a terrific transaction for terrific products. Love those guys.

Glad you think the sound was worth the money, b/c that's about all you're going to get from this mod.

fangtl said:
Glad you think the sound was worth the money, b/c that's about all you're going to get from this mod.

No offense but... care to substantiate that generalization?

SOS and others have posted dyno clips showing power gains. I have no affiliation with them or Cantrell but I think that if you're going to question those claims, you might as well back it up.

fangtl said:

Actually the Cantrell Concepts AIS has been proven to add horsepower on back to back dyno pulls as shown in this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49172&highlight=cantrell+concepts+ais I was actually on hand to witness this dyno too, as were several others, since this dyno was done during the ScienceofSpeed Open House several months back. So while individual results may vary, this product has been proven to provide additional rwhp and torque. Not to mention the exceptional sound. :biggrin:

No offense taken, but look at the cars that were tested and the car in question. Show me a dyno that shows any off-the-shelf intake yielding 7hp on a stock NSX motor and I'll retract my comments.

The dyno shown provides evidence that the Cantrell Concepts AIS does provide increased hp and torque to this particular car which is certainly more than just sound. As mentioned in the previous post, results will vary from car to car depending on many factors including modifications. Your comment makes it sound as if the sound is the only benefit from the Cantrell AIS and this is proven to be incorrect on the vehicle dyno'ed.

We plan on getting a Cantrell AIS shortly and would be happy to dyno it with our current modifications (which don't include any engine work) to see the results. Until that time, or unless someone else has previously dyno'ed to see the CAIS gains on a stock motor, you can be skeptical but should at least be able to see it's improvement in hp and torque on the car used for the dyno. So clearly this product is benefiting some people at the very least.

What the dyno really proves

Understudy said:
Actually the Cantrell Concepts AIS has been proven to add horsepower on back to back dyno pulls
Understudy said:
The dyno shown provides evidence that the Cantrell Concepts AIS does provide increased hp and torque to this particular car which is certainly more than just sound.
I'm not sure if you left off the part about the UNI filter by mistake (since it was mentioned by others earlier) or if you intended to make the claim as you wrote. If it's the latter, I think some clarification is needed:

While I'm not claiming that the AIS does not add power, I do think it's inaccurate to say the dyno proves that it does. As far as I can tell, what that dyno plot proves is Cantrell AIS & UNI filter adds power over stock intake tract & stock filter.

Of course, one could argue that the full benefit of AIS cannot be measured on a dyno since the ram-air effect does not exist under these conditions. It may be the case that AIS alone is an improvement over stock intake tract; however, to claim that it does and offer the dyno results as proof would be a less than scientific: How much of the gain is due to AIS and how much is due to the UNI filter?

Re: What the dyno really proves

Ojas said:
I'm not sure if you left off the part about the UNI filter by mistake (since it was mentioned by others earlier) or if you intended to make the claim as you wrote. If it's the latter, I think some clarification is needed:

You're absolutely correct in that it was a mistake. I was indeed thinking of the combination AIS and UNI filter as is stated on the dyno thread, although I didn't explicitly state it in the post, my bad. Note though that the original post had this same setup of AIS and UNI, so the point still stands that the combination has some merit.

Additional testing would have to be done to distinguish how much effect each component has on the hp, although that may not be worthwhile since most everyone appears to use the combo. You're also correct in that the static dyno test may not even reveal the full benefit of the AIS/UNI combo since it stationary and lacks the influence of the airflow.

Thanks for the helping to clarify.

I think the Cantrell intake works, and here's why:

I definitely noticed an increase in throttle response after installing it. My throttle is crisper and more responsive. I can also listen to the engine and tell whether I am in VTEC or not. Why is this useful? I use this auditory information to gauge where I am in the RPM band, and I find it very helpful in shift points on the track. This product also makes sure that without a doubt, you are getting the cleanest and coolest air possible for the engine to breathe. As to whether it creates a "ram" effect I am not certain, and really don't care. I care about feeding my car the best air possible.

Sean Williams said:
I use this auditory information to gauge where I am in the RPM band, and I find it very helpful in shift points on the track.

Total tangent here, but it sounds like you're pretty new to track driving, yes? I would suggest learning to find shift points differently as you get more events under your belt. As your skill level increases and you work up to the advanced group, you will be out there with a lot of unmuffled dedicated track cars and race cars that are loud to the point where you will often be unable to hear your own engine at all.

xsn said:
Total tangent here, but it sounds like you're pretty new to track driving, yes? I would suggest learning to find shift points differently as you get more events under your belt. As your skill level increases and you work up to the advanced group, you will be out there with a lot of unmuffled dedicated track cars and race cars that are loud to the point where you will often be unable to hear your own engine at all.

Yes I am fairly new to track driving, but that doesn't negate the fact that you can use engine sound to aid in shifting. It isn't the ONLY way I determine shift points however, but it is an aid. You are right, sometimes you cannot base your shifts on sound. I've been next to unmuffled Radicals, and it's deafening.

regardless of performance changes, it sounds hella cool, although with my Anytime i didnt notice as much of a difference, i probably need to pick up some catholic high school girls after work to get the full effect :biggrin: ROFFL!

By the way....its been a couple weeks.......AND I LOVE the THING even more!

watch out for driving through tsunami's though, unless you poked holes in the bottom of it, you might suck up a bunch of water if you go at high velocity in heavy rain, not like you would of course but just a thought

khappucino said:
watch out for driving through tsunami's though, unless you poked holes in the bottom of it, you might suck up a bunch of water if you go at high velocity in heavy rain, not like you would of course but just a thought

I have the downforce scoop and thought the sound is only maybe 10% louder.

As for the water, if you are going at vtec, i doubt the holes on the bottom would help as the air get sucked in quite hard. So the hole is mainly for drainage during car washes etc...

khappucino said:
you might suck up a bunch of water if you go at high velocity in heavy rain, not like you would of course but just a thought

I seriously doubt that is even a legitimate concern with tiny NSX intake opening. There are factory cars with far............... more risky set ups such as CLK55, I checked out the engine bay of CLK55 recently, it has dual front intake that looks like it will guide rain water directly into the throttle body.

Some people even go as far as putting cone air filter below the engine bay in front bumper opening on certain cars that would directly expose the airfliter to the rain.

Back