• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

car unlocks on it's own

I need some help. I have an 02 that the doors unlock by itself randomly, resulting in the alarm going off for about 2 minutes. After that the alarm is still armed with the doors still being unlocked. If I open the door the alarm then goes off again. It is quite a pain not knowing if you car will unlock and the alarm goes off. I think I have 2 possibilities, the door lock control module or the keyless module. Has anyone seen this before?

Well , in the "old days" , I used to see this on lower end aftermarket alarms , people would complain that garage door openers and other products would operate their alarms , I don't think the OEM alarm is supposed to be susceptible to this , but it could be (it's more likely something is just broken) , try unplugging the factory alarm under the glovebox and see if it goes away , if not pull to door lock fuse and see?

Pretty cool you have pre - onstar features on your NSX...

Last edited:
FWIW...I had a 98 740il with similar issues. BMW mechanic said that it was one of the sensors that was faulty and triggering the alarm....motion or cabin most likely the culprit. I decided to leave the car unlocked rather than fix because I knew I was planning to trade the car. ...Which I did, got a TL ...pleased!

I am not trying to hi-jack your thread but I have the complete opposite problem. My doors lock with or with out the key or the door switch. I will unlock the doors. walk five feet to open them and by the time I am there they lock. I will unlock them again and then about a sec later they lock on me again. I use the key to unlock the door. I open the door and the light will not come on. It has been doing this for awhile. I have just learned to live with it. Sorry again for adding my problem to your thread. just trying to see if they might have something in common that could help us both.

Back