• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Caravan to NSXPO - Wednesday, 10/27/10

Route 1, is the way i'm going but i'm hiting 5 off 580 out of Danville save me a little time............Bill

Last edited:
Geez! If Jack had his way, the route we'd take would be the one where you can stop off at the Epcot Center in FL!

"It's just another 48hrs of seat time, but the route I have planned is nice and twisty"

Jack, IDK... Maybe I can be convinced if you can convince your other consultant first. Hahahaha

JB (James the Bambi)

Here is my scenario.

First Day - 285 miles

Leave on Tuesday morning (26th) head south all the way down Hwy 25 to San Miguel then head east to Parkfield for lunch at the only place in town (170 miles -2 stops).

After a 60 min. lunch break, we head south to the James Dean Memorial site in Cholame, (break) then continue south on Bitterwater Road to Highway 58 then a break (fuel) in McKittrick and it's Hwy 58 all the way to Bakersfield where we stay Tuesday night (115 mi).

Second Day - 350 miles

Wed. morning (27th) we head out for more thrilling backroads East (Hwy 178) past Lake Isabella to Hwy 395 (42 Mi Break) then North to Olancha, east on Hwy 190 to Panamint Springs (140 mi. Break).

Then on to Furnace Creek in Death Valley for 90 min. lunch and relax break (54 mi.).

The final push to Vegas has a can't miss Photo op at Zabrinskie Point and Dante's View (25 mi.) then we end at Black Diamond in Vegas (114 mi.) for check-in and dinner.

Like I said before, Yo and I have done all of these roads many times (also with car clubs with as many as a dozen vehicles) and we know precisely where to go and how long it takes. Everything from food and fuel to the hot spots for photos. Throw away the stinkin map, cuz I don't need one.

So that's what I'm offering as a secondary caravan with not one interstate highway and not having to worry about the details.

All it takes is a little inquisitiveness and an extra day. There is no reason why we can't have two separate cavarans. One for those in a hurry and one for those who want a lot more excitement.

Thanks (I hope) for putting up with my enthusiasm. Jack :smile:

UPDATE: THIS TRIP IS NOW LISTED AS OPTIONAL CARAVAN TO NSXPO AS A NEW THREAD ON PRIME.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...992,-119.317017&sspn=2.998361,5.410767&num=10

Last edited:
Here is my scenario.

First Day - 285 miles

Leave on Tuesday morning (26th) head south all the way down Hwy 25 to San Miguel then head east to Parkfield for lunch at the only place in town (170 miles -2 stops).

After a 60 min. lunch break, we head south to the James Dean Memorial site in Cholame, (break) then continue south on Bitterwater Road to Highway 58 then a break (fuel) in McKittrick and it's Hwy 58 all the way to Bakersfield where we stay Tuesday night (115 mi).

Second Day - 350 miles

Wed. morning (27th) we head out for more thrilling backroads East (Hwy 178) past Lake Isabella to Hwy 395 (42 Mi Break) then North to Olancha, east on Hwy 190 to Panamint Springs (140 mi. Break).

Then on to Furnace Creek in Death Valley for 90 min. lunch and relax break (54 mi.).

The final push to Vegas has a can't miss Photo op at Zabrinskie Point and Dante's View (25 mi.) then we end at Black Diamond in Vegas (114 mi.) for check-in and dinner.

Like I said before, Yo and I have done all of these roads many times (also with car clubs with as many as a dozen vehicles) and we know precisely where to go and how long it takes. Everything from food and fuel to the hot spots for photos. Throw away the stinkin map, cuz I don't need one.

So that's what I'm offering as a secondary caravan with not one interstate highway and not having to worry about the details.

All it takes is a little inquisitiveness and an extra day. There is no reason why we can't have two separate cavarans. One for those in a hurry and one for those who want a lot more excitement.

Thanks (I hope) for putting up with my enthusiasm. Jack :smile:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...992,-119.317017&sspn=2.998361,5.410767&num=10

Jack I got two words for you...

I'm in!!!

I will be making two non-stop trips from Seattle to MOnterey (984 miles one way) in the next couple of months to see you guys, I do it in 14hrs and have done it 4 times already to see you all last summer.
Now for those of you with meatier sacks, a couple of us are leaving seattle, then going through central oregon to Boise to pick up a few more meatier sacks and heading to vegas,all on the fun roads. 26hrs completed in two days back to back. Anybody want to join my route?:eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Jack I got two words for you...

I'm in!!!

All I can say guys is that you will absolutely, 100% not regret going this spectacular way to Vegas. And in fact by simply adding the additional day, the drive will be not be as long of a haul.
In our recent trip to Bowling Green Kentucky we returned totally on the backroads staying off the interstate highways and the drive seemed shorter just because of the interesting surroundings not associated with the interstate. Heck, who wants to drive the same roads twice anyways when you include the return drive home.:tongue:
Even Yolanda drove the entire 5600-mile round trip in her own two-seater so if you have not experienced this kind long run in your sports car, you'll never really appreciate how much fun it can be.:smile:

I'll post a few pictures from past runs on these same roads and all you have to do imagine your NSX in them. That may help wet your appetite, if not your pants. :eek: Ha!

Jack "The Pide Pipper":wink:

I will be making two non-stop trips from Seattle to MOnterey (984 miles one way) in the next couple of months to see you guys, I do it in 14hrs and have done it 4 times already to see you all last summer.
Now for those of you with meatier sacks, a couple of us are leaving seattle, then going through central oregon to Boise to pick up a few more meatier sacks and heading to vegas,all on the fun roads. 26hrs completed in two days back to back. Anybody want to join my route?:eek::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

John, I may be a little scooters but you're completlely insane.:eek:

I love it

If I end up being the only thrill seeker goin' down here, and it ain't snowin' over the passes, I might just take you up. Can never have to many Meat Sacks. (I guess):wink:

Jack "One hell of a meat sack":smile:

I guess I'm in! I was holding back for one of the resident consultants but if he's in, I'm all for it.

My next Internet search will be for a radar detector!

J

Jack,

If we're doing the route you outlined above (that your two consultants agreed to) then maybe you should change the title of the thread... or make a new one with the correct date if that's not possible and point people who find this thread to that new one.

J

Are there any dry lake beds along any of these routes?

I want to see if I can take the NSX for some photo shoot of my rooster tail from the "king of wings" spoiler that I have.....

IMG_0082.jpg

This is the only spot that I know where you can get real close (a couple miles east of Panamint Springs which you can see just around the curve) however the the road is in Death Valley Nat. Park and I believe there are signs warning to keep off. One time going through there we did see a tourist in a rental car blastin' parallel to the pavement. I think finding a place where you could get easy access and not break any laws (in Calif.) on a dry lake bed might be tough unless you go to a Vehicle Off Road Park. I would guess perhaps near Edwards, Barstow, Baker and your best bet at Primm, Nevada ( where they have a lot of off-road racing) at the state line on Hwy-15 is your best candidate.
I have a better Idea though, how about stopping at that one spot in the picture and depositing a bucket full of desert powder on your wing then hawlin' ass down that stretch of road with a full low angle side shot with the dry lake bed in the background. Might get the results you're looking for.
I have driven almost every off-road trail in and around Death Valley over the last 20-years so if you want just some real dusty pavement you go to the top of that mountain (The Argus Range in the picture) and hang a right towards Saline Valley (look on a Ca. map) you will see a little road that is just west of Panamint Springs and heads north. It starts out pavement but gradually turns to dirt, in that transition there's lots of dusty blacktop. I'll try and think of some more filthy places for your enjoyment. Ha!

Jack

Jack,

If we're doing the route you outlined above (that your two consultants agreed to) then maybe you should change the title of the thread... or make a new one with the correct date if that's not possible and point people who find this thread to that new one.

J

Will do.

Jack

Last edited:
Removed myself and signed up on the optional caravan

1) Mike C
2) yojack
3) Dhalsim (will join the caravan on I5)
4) ntgr8td +1
5) iCEE
6) flaminio +1
7) SFNSXguy (from the other thread)
8)
9)
10)
11)

I'm planning going down 5 to LA and across to LV. It's like 600 miles. I'll do it in one day.

Try this radar detector, I have it and swear by it. Pricey yes, but we own an NSX so we can afford anything right!!

http://www.valentine1.com/

Yeah, I kinda already knew I'd get the V1. I actually ordered one later that day and I have a neighbor checking my porch every day for it while I'm down in L.A.

J

Oh and just in case Mike's reading this: I can't afford just anything but just learned that I might be able to afford a 4-wheel StopTech BBK with parking brake :rolleyes:

V1 and other radar/laser detectors seem to be useless against the new Lidar that the CHP are using.

I've been hit a few times.

The only viable option is to install the Blinder laser jammer (with detector).

I'm planning on going to this event, but not for the racing portion.

Jack, can you forward me info so that I can become an official member?

V1 and other radar/laser detectors seem to be useless against the new Lidar that the CHP are using.

I've been hit a few times.

The only viable option is to install the Blinder laser jammer (with detector).

I'm planning on going to this event, but not for the racing portion.

Jack, can you forward me info so that I can become an official member?

Here is the link for NSXCA.
So what caravan are you leaning towards? The fun one or the boring one.

Jack

http://www.nsxca.org/nsxca/join/

Back