• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carfax please: JH4NA1155MT001330, could it be true?

froggie said:
Yeah, I just got PM'ed by the carfax watchdogs yesterday.
Another reason for me to get my own account. Sorry, Have I known about that earlier, I wouldn't even have bothered starting this thread, and in the process getting my very own, brand new flame suit :tongue: !
I would have hated messing out someone's account!

iroc-cop.gif

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum Froggie.

Hi Froggie,

I actually emailed this guy about his NSX, and in my opinion, his replies seemed like a scam. I tried to find his emails but they're already deleted. His first email back to me seemed legit, said his car is still available & it's at homestead florida, so I replied with a request for more pictures, and for a number I can call him. His next reply was that he is not in the country, and if I was interested in the car, we can go through an escrow company to broker the transaction, like escrow.com, and he included photos of the interior, but not the exterior. Still no phone number to call. I deleted his emails after his last reply. I'm not too big on going through escrow companies with people out of the country. Sounded too much like those other escrow company scams, but I must admit, his emails felt more personal, not as generic like the others...

Hope this helps...

I e-mailed him also. Here is the response I received:

Kevin,

I apologize for delay I was out of my office,the car is still for sale,
you can pickup the car from my residence in Homestead,FL, I am unable
to complete the transaction in person because I am currently in
military stage, but we can proceed via escrow.com,
https://www.escrow.com/solutions/escrow/process.asp
please let me know today,because I have another person ready to buy but
you were first.
VIN Number:
JH4NA1155MT001330

Thank you
John

Sounds a bit fishy to me. I highly doubt that I was first, and I only asked him for more pictures. I never gave him any reason that I was willing to purchase this, especially sight unseen. I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing this transaction thru an escrow company either.

Last edited:
I have another person ready to buy but
you were first.
Yes that does sound strange :confused: . You should email him back and ask to view the car. See if he gives more information on where it is or if it would be possible.

scorp965 said:
Why, when you see a $30k car advertised for under $19k, are you still wondering whether or not the sale is a fraudulent? It's an obvious scam, his emails after the fact merely confirm what common sense alluded to.

Not really wondering as much as I would just like to screw with this idiot. It would be nice to get this ad pulled :wink:

kcalvano said:
Not really wondering as much as I would just like to screw with this idiot. It would be nice to get this ad pulled :wink:

I agree. Ron mentioned earilier that he said the car was always in florida but the ad states it was a california car and that autowave did the work which is also in cali. Someone could call shawn (autowave) and ask if he knows the car. He may know the real owner since alot of the time they are just using the real owners info.

Hi Mike,

The email John received is exactly the email I received. So IMO, it's definitely a scam...

scorp965 said:
Why, when you see a $30k car advertised for under $19k, are you still wondering whether or not the sale is a fraudulent? It's an obvious scam, his emails after the fact merely confirm what common sense alluded to.

I totally agree, but I did once find a BMW which was listed for 30K, which was a a fair private party price, and was ready to purchase it, but then found another one for 21K, my instincts told me it was a scam, or a salvaged vehicle, but it turned out to be legit, with a clean title. So I jumped on the BMW for 21K right away. There are a few smokin' deals out there, either for a quick sale, or just because the seller doesn't know what they have. But the far majority of these "smokin' deals" are scams. Always excercise caution, especially when it seems to good to be true...=)

I could have sworn, one of the first things I did coming into this forum was getting flamed for running a carfax for someone. Everyone jumped my a$$ telling me it was illegal.... now it seems like people exchange carfax reports everyday... what changed?

Kcalvano, you are the third "You were first". Plus I ran a carfax on this vehicle, and according to it's history, the last event reported was at the san Juan Capistrano,Ca. DMV office, in Apr. 2005! So how come the car is now in Florida?
Plus, do you guys really think that he really doesn't know the real value of his car? In the age of the internet, a quick search should give you a fair idea. However, according to the Consumer guide:
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2334/act/usedcarreviewshowall/, this seems to be a fair price.
But here's the seller's reply: "I am selling so low because I am getting married and no need for toys,
I am moving to a less garage space new home."
To me, that ad stinks SCAM; but as NSX in702 pointed-out, I cannot help but think that it might be legit after all.
I hate dragging on with this thread, but it would be best to find a member in the vicinity who would be willing to take a look at the car; and ending the speculation once and for all.

froggie said:
Kcalvano, you are the third "You were first". Plus I ran a carfax on this vehicle, and according to it's history, the last event reported was at the san Juan Capistrano,Ca. DMV office, in Apr. 2005! So how come the car is now in Florida?
Plus, do you guys really think that he really doesn't know the real value of his car? In the age of the internet, a quick search should give you a fair idea. However, according to the Consumer guide:
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2334/act/usedcarreviewshowall/, this seems to be a fair price.
But here's the seller's reply: "I am selling so low because I am getting married and no need for toys,
I am moving to a less garage space new home."
To me, that ad stinks SCAM; but as NSX in702 pointed-out, I cannot help but think that it might be legit after all.
I hate dragging on with this thread, but it would be best to find a member in the vicinity who would be willing to take a look at the car; and ending the speculation once and for all.

Hi Froggie, I totally feel your dilemma. That's exactly how I felt when I bought my wife's BMW. Sure looked like a scam, the ad had a pixelated picture and mispelled words, turned out to be a sweet deal. But definitely definitely be careful. As many times as I've replied to ads through Autotrader, that was the only legit deal I found. But when the guy selling the BMW did reply, he enclosed a telephone number, and I was easily able to contact him by phone. Funny thing was, the seller was a cop. Even let me keep his plates for the drive home from Phoenix to Las Vegas...=)

froggie said:
Too funny:biggrin: .
But I think that I am going to pass on that one regardless. I called the guy several times, and I always got his mailbox.

I think you're making the right decision...=)

Back