• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars in same league as NSX ??

I have owned 2 NSX's and as far as I can see there is no other car like it on the road as far as the performance/reliability and maintenance cost goes.

Can anyone suggest what other cars come in the same league as far as price/maintenance cost & reliability is concerned? I'm itching for another toy but can't afford $250 oil changes of a Ferrari.

- Ferrari. Probably the closest in terms of reliability, but still, maintenance will be expensive, and I don't know that I've ever seen a Ferrari with 300,000 miles on it....

- Lamborghini. From what I hear, extremely expensive to maintain.

- Z06. Not exotic by any stretch, but has supercar performance. Although I've heard of a lot of thing *breaking* on those. Someone just blew his Z06 engine all over the ground at the last auto-x. I actually have a piece of it on my desk!

- Porsche. ???

-Lotus. Probably the worst out of the bunch.

How 'bout a Supra? Of course styling isn't as good but a stock one might not be too bad on maintenance.

Ferrari in terms of reliability? O....k.....
Porsche only got one middle engined car. The CGT. The NSX is sure not in that league.

If you only look at the layout I would say 355. I don't see GM or Toyota in the same league as Honda with the NSX.

It's hard to find cars in the same league, thats why the NSX isn't a super sports car but an exotic.

The cars comming close to a NSX:
Ferrari : (high maintance cost High fuel bill)
Corvette : (Z06 lot's of preformace high fuel bill Race corvettes are quit good at Le Mans but there racing budget is large and they are hard to kill simple engines)

But really a NSX is a one of a kind

I switched from an 03 NSX to an 05 Porsche Carrera C2S. I can't say that I would go back. Then again, I've always been a fan of the 911.

I have not found anything that is in the same league as the NSX or do I ever expect to. Honda achieve near perfect balance when they developed this car. I have seen other cars I would like to own and even more that I admire but they are all in a different league from the NSX.

I feel the Z06 is a break-through car when performance is weighed against price. The Ford GT has the looks and performance I admire. Ferrari's and Lambos are works of art and Lotus, Porsche and many others have great attributes as well. I would feel privileged to own any one of of these cars.

Yet; I don't feel any of them have the balance of: performance, dependability, pricing, style, ease of maintenance, mileage, ergonomics, class, input to the driver and the easiness to live with for an extended period of time. If these are the attributes that describe the league the NSX is in; then it is in that league by itself. This just my opinion based on my experiences and that I am a very happy NSX owner.

jond said:
- Ferrari. Probably the closest in terms of reliability, but still, maintenance will be expensive, and I don't know that I've ever seen a Ferrari with 300,000 miles on it....

- Lamborghini. From what I hear, extremely expensive to maintain.

- Z06. Not exotic by any stretch, but has supercar performance. Although I've heard of a lot of thing *breaking* on those. Someone just blew his Z06 engine all over the ground at the last auto-x. I actually have a piece of it on my desk!

- Porsche. ???

-Lotus. Probably the worst out of the bunch.

Why is Lotus considered the worst, when their Elise/Exige just has a Toyota Celica engine in it?

KooLaid said:
Why is Lotus considered the worst, when their Elise/Exige just has a Toyota Celica engine in it?

Think the Elise is not in the same league as the NSX, now, the Esprit is (was), and thats one unreliable puppy.
Elise is a great performer for what it is, but its not an exotic by far.

Klayton said:
Porsche only got one middle engined car. The CGT.

The Porsche Boxster is also mid-engined if I'm not mistaken.

The Supra TT (MKIV) is a very nice car that is also very reliable. However, it is definitely not in the same league as the NSX. It has power, but it is just not as fun as the NSX to drive.

In my opinion, the driving experience in the NSX can not be matched. Sure there are Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc. that perform better than the NSX, however, they are no where near as reliable. Worrying about breaking down every time I drive seriously detracts from the driving experience.

DutchBlackNsx said:
Think the Elise is not in the same league as the NSX, now, the Esprit is (was), and thats one unreliable puppy.
Elise is a great performer for what it is, but its not an exotic by far.

esprit got a lot better after the switch to the (suzuki?) v8 still that french transmission's tendancy to pop at anything past 350 hp was a bit..shall we say, limiting? :biggrin: wonder if you could mate a porsche tranny to the v8 and get some real turbos on there :eek:

I agree, the Supra is definitely not in the same league as the NSX. If I were to choose I'd say specifically the Ferrari F355. Both mid-engined and both exotic.

KooLaid said:
Good question. I would think with a Toyota engine they would be reliable. They're far from it. Mostly eletrical problems, but also problems with things like the heater not working, bolts poping through the body, doors not unlocking, and things like that.

jond said:
Good question. I would think with a Toyota engine they would be reliable. They're far from it. Mostly eletrical problems, but also problems with things like the heater not working, bolts poping through the body, doors not unlocking, and things like that.

There were two versions of the Celica that the engine came out of. The higher HP GT-S isn't terribly reliable. That's the one in the Lotus.

NSXSTER said:
Can anyone suggest what other cars come in the same league as far as price/maintenance cost & reliability is concerned?

There aren't any. You'll have an easier time finding Usama Bin Laden.

OK you said you want a car with NSX Plus performance and it can’t cost too much to buy or run. And you did say that you are looking for a new toy. So I have the car for you, if you are hard core enough.

And you get to build it too if you want. How cool is that?

Regards,

Patrick

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 125
jond said:

i have seen a lot of people putting Integra Type-R engines into these cars too. so you still could go w/ the honda engine :smile:

Klayton said:
Porsche only got one middle engined car. The CGT...

Hmmm... Last time I looked the Boxter was mid engined and the Boxter S and the Cayman S... Ooow look were up to 4 models already...

Check out the Cayman! On paper it looks identical to the NSX... Mid engine, 3.3L, 295hp, 2 seater...

Back