• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars in same league as NSX ??

AU_NSX said:
Check out the Cayman! On paper it looks identical to the NSX... Mid engine, 3.3L, 295hp, 2 seater...

But the problems begin to fester when a Cayman and NSX are side by side. Not only is the Cayman incredibly ugly, it looks as common as any other P-car. *YAWWWWWNNNNN*. Then you start wondering why it tok the Germans 15 years to finally copy the layout of the NSX. If I ever hear anyone calling a Cayman innovative and unique I will smack them. :)

Hugh said:
But the problems begin to fester when a Cayman and NSX are side by side. Not only is the Cayman incredibly ugly, it looks as common as any other P-car. *YAWWWWWNNNNN*. Then you start wondering why it tok the Germans 15 years to finally copy the layout of the NSX. If I ever hear anyone calling a Cayman innovative and unique I will smack them. :)

Damn... I totally agree with you!... This'll be a short post then! :biggrin:

I am actually going to say Cayman S here also. I do not think it is really a match in a lot of areas to the NSX, but does handle great and the interior quality is very nice compared to the old 986 cars. It looks better in person than in photos, but I do not think it is as attractive to me as the NSX. I think it comes closest to the NSX in overall price/performance/etc., although I would not say "closest" means very close. Ferrari and Lambo are out due to service costs, and somewhat spotty build quality. Ford GT and Z06 are great performing cars, but are really beasts compared to the NSX, and I do not think give anywhere close to the same driving experience (not that they do not better the NSX in some area of that experience).

NSXSTER said:
I have owned 2 NSX's and as far as I can see there is no other car like it on the road as far as the performance/reliability and maintenance cost goes.

Can anyone suggest what other cars come in the same league as far as price/maintenance cost & reliability is concerned? I'm itching for another toy but can't afford $250 oil changes of a Ferrari.

OK.... you said "performance", "reliability" and "cost of maintenance".

You did not say "looks", "prestige", "engineering", "refinement", "bling", etc. You also did not say it had to be new nor still in production.

For a new car, I would agree with a Cayman for performance and reliability, but not for cost of maintenance. It's not up there with Ferrari maintenance price schedules but it is NOT cheap. Heck, BMW service is not cheap.

I'd include the C5/C6 Corvette for all three. I hear that reliability on the C5 was pretty good (too early to tell for the C6) and maintenance on them will be more than most Chev's but still ought to be reasonable -- though I am speculating here.

Whoever said Ferrari 348tb... lol /applaud

I disagree. While the Vette will outperform the NSX on paper in many respects, the driving experience between the 2 is far different. Maybe I just take his meaning of peformance differently than you do (and he may be looking for the answer you provided if he is looking for test result data).
I think the spirit and the driving experience of the Cayman is closer, and I was not aware of the servicing costs being in F-car territory, but have done no research. It would stand to reason it would be more than the NSX, but the F-car is soooo high I would not think they could sell many if the services were that high.

Aero said:
How 'bout a Supra? Of course styling isn't as good but a stock one might not be too bad on maintenance.

i owned a '94 tt six speed.. i love that car so much compare to power.. styling isn't nothing close to a NSX.. proformance parts are cheaper.. under 10k under the hood you'll be running 10's.. maybe low 11's.. a stock block can hold over 1000 hp.. great preformance car and yet still rarely seen.. easy to work on.. same maintenance as a NSX..

Vettes, Porsches, Supras, and Ferrari's all have elements that the NSX does, but not the entire package.

Vettes lack the sophistication, the exotic style and long-term durability, but have raw power and great objective performance numbers in general (as of the last few Z06 years particularly).

Porsches -- lack the style and low-slung exotic look. They are balanced and durable. Bottom-line is they lack the looks of the NSX.

Supras -- Have power and durability, but lack the exotic look.

Ferrari's -- Are the one that have the equivalent look and performance, but lack the durability and daily drivability.

Nothing has it all other then the NSX on balance. If you think it lacks the power to match the look add a CTSC low-boost (Hugh -- this is your invitation to go off!), and if you continue to care for your car, it will maintain all of the other qualities.

I sold my NSX 3 months ago and bought a Cayman S. I disagree that maintenance costs on new P-cars are high. The FIRST scheduled maintenance is at 20,000 miles. The first oil change also corresponds to 20,000 miles. It costs approximately $1K for the service. Comparing apples to apples, taking your new NSX to an Acura dealer at its scheduled maintenance intervals of 7500 miles, 15,000 miles, etc. won't be much less when added up. In addition, the three Porsche dealers in my area automatically give Porsches loaners as part of the service. At least two of the dealers, including mine, will pick your car up from work or home and drop off either a Cayman, Boxster, or Cayenne courtesy car. There are not many Acura dealers that will provide that level of service, if any.

As for performance, the Cayman S is very similar to the NSX. Considering the maturity of the basic NSX design, that says more about the NSX than the Cayman. The NSX is a fantasic car even today. However, stock to stock, the Cayman is slightly faster, brakes much better, is more comfortable, and (gulp!) handles slightly better. This is still hard for me to admit since I owned my NSX for 8 years and still love the car.

Best of all about the Cayman S is that many owners have found it very easy to make power in this platform. Removal of the restrictor plate at the entrance of the intake has netted a dyno'd 13whp and costing the owners nothing. One owner with headers and catbacks is making over 300 hp at the wheels with SAE corrected dyno runs. At a weight closer to the S2000 than the NSX, the Cayman S hauls!

I love the Cayman - and thought of the NSX the second I heard about it. It lacks the exotic-ness the NSX has, but to some people they could care less.

The thing that killed the Cayman for me is I don't fit in it - not even close.

I need to test drive a cayman. In car and driver, they rate the cayman better than the lotus elise!!! I saw one in person and it looked pretty good to me!!

my1stnsx,

Wait until you hear the intake and exhaust growl when you get on the throttle! The best adjective for the sound is "masculine".

Now that I've removed the restrictor plate in the intake, the growl turns into a snarl when the "vario-cam plus" (Porsche's VTEC) kicks in!

Vic

VictorH said:
Now that I've removed the restrictor plate in the intake, the growl turns into a snarl when the "vario-cam plus" (Porsche's VTEC) kicks in!

Vic

I've never understood why Porsche do this... They are well known for restricting intake and exhaust... My '81 911 had a restrictor in the exhaust??? So I swapped out the exhaust...

TURBO2GO said:
I know the styling is not to everyone's taste, but this is a very fun car with a terrific engine and trans. It is also a great bargain used and its cost of ownership is not near a Ferraris. There is nothing like the NSX, but I personaly like this car.

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/viewAllPhotos.cfm?listing=8436010&template=48

It's funny because I read your post and thought "Maserati Coupe" before I even clicked on the link!:smile:

Bear said:
I switched from an 03 NSX to an 05 Porsche Carrera C2S. I can't say that I would go back. Then again, I've always been a fan of the 911.

Different stokes..... I mean. I do not care for sodomizing small animals, but hey, if you enjoy it...:biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Yeah, I absolutely love the Cayman S. Nowhere near as groundbreaking as an NSX, but then again its not Porsche's flagship either. Its overall a great car...except for one thing...Limited slip..but thats an easy fix.

If I were to choose and if they both have a similar price, I'd nod towards the Cayman just because its design is more up to date with my taste. If they did a total exterior/interior design overhaul on the NSX (ie, get rid of any '80's hints) then I'd take the NSX. I likem both...:smile:

Spinner said:
If I were to choose and if they both have a similar price, I'd nod towards the Cayman just because its design is more up to date with my taste. If they did a total exterior/interior design overhaul on the NSX (ie, get rid of any '80's hints) then I'd take the NSX. I likem both...:smile:

This is very confusing to me. The Cayman looks like the bastard child of a Boxster and a Crossfire and if anything strongly resembles the same old 30 year old ugly and boring look of every single 911 derivative out there.

The NSX is so unique that still today, 15 years after they first appeared, people still don't know what the hell they're looking at. What do you find in the NSX that hints of the '80s?

Then only cool car that Porsche ever built is still the 928.

Shumdit said:
Different stokes..... I mean. I do not care for sodomizing small animals, but hey, if you enjoy it...:biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

That's because you can't resist the challenge of sodomizing the large ones. Does an elk put up a big fight? :)

VictorH said:
my1stnsx,

Wait until you hear the intake and exhaust growl when you get on the throttle! The best adjective for the sound is "masculine".

Vic

Now I cant wait to go and test drive one. Thanks for the insight.

Only thing i would say is the Ferrari F355 and 360, and that is only if you took reliabilty out of the equation.

Those Germans have been using a mid engine layout since the 1950's in the Porsche 550, and continued the tradition in many race cars, including my favorite--the 904. So you really can't say they copied it from Honda. I still love my NSX though :)

904_1.jpg

Hugh said:

AU_NSX said:
I've never understood why Porsche do this... They are well known for restricting intake and exhaust... My '81 911 had a restrictor in the exhaust??? So I swapped out the exhaust...

because if the cayman's engine made the power its supposed to it would spank the 911 and of course we cant have that :rolleyes:

Scin said:
Those Germans have been using a mid engine layout since the 1950's in the Porsche 550, and continued the tradition in many race cars, including my favorite--the 904. So you really can't say they copied it from Honda. I still love my NSX though :)

904_1.jpg

that thing looks like the ugly twin of the dino ferrari

A.jpg

Back