• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cars with folding metal roofs - what's out there?

My wife's 98 SLK is getting a bit long in the tooth, and we're talking about replacing it with a newer (but not new) car. We want another convertible and the SLK has totally spoiled us with its folding metal roof so I don't think we would even consider a soft top.

The obvious thing for us to look at is a newer SLK, but I know there are other cars out now with a similar roof. Trouble is, I don't know what they are or how good they are. About the only one I'm aware of for sure is a 2 seat Lexus, but it's always looked a bit bloated and unexceptional to my eye.

So what else is there? Is there a folding metal roof convertible with a back seat anywhere? After 5+ years without a car with a back seat, we're thinking it might be time to have one again.

Thanks!

A new clean one is the Lexus IS, but there is also the BMW3 series and the VW.

I hope this helps :smile:

If you want to go American then there's the Pontiac G6. By the way, Pontiac is no longer around so it may increase in value as a collector. :confused:

The metal roof Miata is adorable, but it's a new model for 2010? We don't buy new cars so that may have to wait a year or two.

The metal roof Miata is adorable, but it's a new model for 2010? We don't buy new cars so that may have to wait a year or two.

But the Miata is still a two seater. How about looking at a used Lexus SC430. They are going for the mid 30's the last time I checked.

If you love your SLK then I would look at one of the newer ones. They are MUCH MUCH better than the old SLK.

Otherwise I would go with a SC430. Its resale has taken a beating but it is a Lexus coupe 2+2 with a V8 and good styling! The other back up would be 3 series convert.

Personally I would go with the SC430. The price just can't be beat!

the VW whatever its called(eos?) is also metal convert:redface:

The newer SLK are much better then the older ones. I picked up my brother's 2010 SLK from the dealer and was pretty impressed with them. Particularly liked how quick the roof folds and unfolds, probably not the quickest but good enough.

I spent some time this morning looking at used cars online and the R171 SLK is looking pretty good. I know it's a better car than the R170 we have now, and if I want to keep the price around $30K it's easily the most common available.

In 2 seater form, the BMW Z4 also has a folding hard top.

2010-bmw-z4-convertible-1.jpg

112_0812_14z+2009_BMW_Z4+rear_three_quarter_view_top_up.jpg

Back