• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Castrol/Syntec Top Car Challenge

Coz

Legendary Member
We have been officially asked to represent Import Tuner Magazine in the Castrol/Syntec Top Car Challenge being held July 12-16th, 2010 in and around Los Angeles and Streets of Willow...
Yahoo !!!!

It's an honor and a privilege to be asked by Import Tuner magazine to be their representative for this event with the NSX and compete for the first place prize of $10,000.00...:biggrin:

Lots of things going on to get ready with help from our sponsors and friends, Autowave, FXMD, Applied Motorsports, Exedy, Peoria Acura, CT Engineering, and Import Tuner Magazine.
We are going to kick some butt this time.....We will be ready for this event !

1st Competition photo shoot is scheduled for May 11th in Los Angeles, CA.

This is the format for the competition...

1. Lap Times: Teams compete for the single fastest lap time during a 20 minute session on the road course.

2. ¼ Mile Time: Cars compete for quickest ending times, best of 3 runs.

3. ¼ Trap Speed: Cars compete for fastest trap speed, best of 3 runs

4. Horsepower: Using a dyno, cars will be tested to find who has the highest peak horsepower. Teams will be limited to 3 runs.

5. Power to Weight: Cars will be weighed at the dyno to calculate who has the best ratio.

6. Emissions: Vehicles will be tested with a 5 gas automobile emissions analyzer.

7. Acceleration: 0-60mph using a radar gun.

8. Braking: 80-0mph using a radar gun.

9. Endurance: Cars will have to test out their endurance in the brutal test of Los Angeles traffic by driving to the track in the middle of rush hour traffic.

10. Vehicle cost: Scores will be based on the current used car value from www.intellichoice.com.

Last edited:
you guys don't fool around.I'm impressed by the relatively short time your car went from mild to wild and you are actualy doing something constructive with it ....Best of luck.

It's been a lot of planning, trial and error John, but we're finally getting to where we wanted to be from the beginning. We just took some alternate routes to get there along the way...a major learning experience and still learning...but we've had some great help from some great friends along the way which continues everyday.

For that I just can'tsay enough good things about those that have been behind us and supported us every step of the way. The best part in all this is the friendships we have with our sponsors and those behind our efforts, which I think is more important and means the most to us. Cars come and go, friendships last forever, or they should anyway :wink:

My goal was to build this car to become a very respectable track car and still be able to drive it on the street, which I believe we are getting done quite well so far...

Thanks John...

Last edited:
Good luck Jim!....Remember fresh set of new tires and hopefully you can borrow some good suspension and get it tuned right.

Thanks Eddie...

Suspension will be fine, Ken and I have discussed using a set of Moton's that he has, but there just wouldn't be enough time to get them on, do all the testing that's needed to be set up correctly and still get the list of other things we need to get done as well. We are going to corner balance and align the car again since it hasn't been done since putting the wide body kit on it and we want to do it with the tires we intend on running for the event. Exedy just gave me their triple CF clutch as part of our sponsorship so we still have to get it in, we're also doubling the size of our inter-cooler which requires fabrication, enlarging the front wheel well area to accept the 255's, building axles that will take the RWHP and not snap during the drag racing and 0 to 60 timed events, and setting up cats on the exhaust tips since everyone has to run cats in this event. Then the car has to go to Autowave for a valve adjustment, check over and tuning with cats on race gas.....

A lot of things to do and get done in a relatively short time. I want to be absolutely ready for this event and don't want to start anything that holds us back or puts us behind time frame wise.

The K-Sports will do fine, eventually I will step up to Motons, JRZ's or something on those lines....soon maybe :)

I am talking to Toyo and Import Tuner Magazine is talking to Yokohama about running their tires for the event, we'll see what happens. I know Autowave is also talking to Hancook, but Hancook sizes are very limited. Continental offered tires, but again the problem is sizes and tread ratings. All their tread ratings are too high, 200+ to be competitive in this event.

I'd maybe like to run the R-888's in 255x35x18 and 305x35x18's for this event which I think will be the perfect size..have to wait and see if Toyo is willing to help. This would be the perfect choice size wise.

If not, we'll probably go with Yokohama A0-48's in 265x35x18 if I can get them to fit and 315x30x18

Good luck Jim!....Remember fresh set of new tires and hopefully you can borrow some good suspension and get it tuned right.

Last edited:
Congrats Jimmy! This should be a memorable event and your car is very deserving of the selection. With Autowave and FXMD's help, you should do very very well. Good approach...don't go overboard with last minute changes. Thanks for representing the community and can't wait for the results.

Best Regards,

Danny

That would be very cool...Thank you for the support and we'd love to have you there.
I will post more details as we get them...

Way to go Jim!! keep us posted as I maybe able to come out to shots some photos and give you a hand.

Thanks Danny...it's by far the biggest event and challenge for us with the NSX, more so than the Modified Magazine Tuner Shootout was since we will really be ready this time and have some time to prepare the right way.

We want to win and we're all taking a serious look at the priorities and getting them done one step at a time.

It's some big shoes to fill with the things You, FXMD, Kip, Shad and many others have done already, but we are going to give it one hell of a try and put our best effort forward, brother.

Congrats Jimmy! This should be a memorable event and your car is very deserving of the selection. With Autowave and FXMD's help, you should do very very well. Good approach...don't go overboard with last minute changes. Thanks for representing the community and can't wait for the results.

Best Regards,

Danny

Since you are taking your car to Autowave, are you going to use Erik Messley to setup your suspension and alignment? He's arguably one of the best in So Cal and knows the NSX intimately. Both he and I would probably suggest running something other than the R888. Maybe the Hoosier R comps or the Nitto NT01. A great suspension setup is critical for quick lap times. Just my .02

Thanks Eddie...

Suspension will be fine, Ken and I have discussed using a set of Moton's that he has, but there just wouldn't be enough time to get them on, do all the testing that's needed to be set up correctly and still get the list of other things we need to get done as well. We are going to corner balance and align the car again since it hasn't been done since putting the wide body kit on it and we want to do it with the tires we intend on running for the event. Exedy just gave me their triple CF clutch as part of our sponsorship so we still have to get it in, we're also doubling the size of our inter-cooler which requires fabrication, enlarging the front wheel well area to accept the 255's, building axles that will take the RWHP and not snap during the drag racing and 0 to 60 timed events, and setting up cats on the exhaust tips since everyone has to run cats in this event. Then the car has to go to Autowave for a valve adjustment, check over and tuning with cats on race gas.....

A lot of things to do and get done in a relatively short time. I want to be absolutely ready for this event and don't want to start anything that holds us back or puts us behind time frame wise.

The K-Sports will do fine, eventually I will step up to Motons, JRZ's or something on those lines....soon maybe :)

I am talking to Toyo and Import Tuner Magazine is talking to Yokohama about running their tires for the event, we'll see what happens. I know Autowave is also talking to Hancook, but Hancook sizes are very limited. Continental offered tires, but again the problem is sizes and tread ratings. All their tread ratings are too high, 200+ to be competitive in this event.

I'd maybe like to run the R-888's in 255x35x18 and 305x35x18's for this event which I think will be the perfect size..have to wait and see if Toyo is willing to help. This would be the perfect choice size wise.

If not, we'll probably go with Yokohama A0-48's in 265x35x18 if I can get them to fit and 315x30x18

We have discussed Erik doing suspension set up if need be. However, I may not be able to afford $$$ him...
Last I heard he charges 1000.00+ to set up a suspension.

Just depends on timing with FXMD and their schedule on getting the alignment and corner balancing done.
Fes is talking about making a trip out to AZ to get everything done I need to, front fender well modification wise, corner balancing and alignment.
If timing goes south with this, then I will talk to Erik about it and see if something can be worked out.
FXMD is one of my sponsors and I am staying loyal to my sponsors first as to who does what at this point.

Yes, I totally understand how important suspension set up is, this is not my first rodeo in car set up & competition's.
But I appreciate your thoughts and insights. It's good to hear others thoughts so I don't over look something, which can be easy to do.
You're 2 cents is always valuable to me and worth more than 2 cents.

I've been tracking this particular car for the last 2 years in various events. In fact I have a 2 day NASA TTU event starting tomorrow at PIR.
The car has been corner balanced and aligned by FXMD last time but before I added the widebody kit.
FXMD and Billy did a great job last time and I am looking to keep the same feel I have now.
I don't want to change to much without having the time to test the car and get used to something totally different the day of the event.

From what I feel, it's only gotten better since increasing the width of the stance as it is, so redoing the corner balancing and alignment within the established spec's we already have will only make it better once I get the right rubber on it as long as it stays close to what I want to continue to feel and have gotten used to.

As for tires, still considering all the options.

What I don't like about the NT-01's is I have to use much smaller sizes than my car than its capable of running.

The biggest tire I can get in NT-01's is 245x40x18 & 275x40x18.
And even at 245/275 the stagger is off. I would have to run 235/275. To little tire for 600 rwhp not to mention my car is a widebody. I'm running 245/285 Yokohama AD-08's now and it's not enough really.

We're also looking at the Yokohama A0-48's as well in 265/315, but getting them to fit could be a problem.

I would prefer to run 255/305 or 265/315 over 235/275. More tire patch on the ground all the way around will mean more grip most times with most tires being close to equal, especially in a street tire class.
Not to mention my wheels are 9.5" & 11" and really require a wider tire.

Can't run Hoosiers, other wise I would. All tires used in the competition have to have a DOT tread rating of 60 or more.

Since you are taking your car to Autowave, are you going to use Erik Messley to setup your suspension and alignment? He's arguably one of the best in So Cal and knows the NSX intimately. Both he and I would probably suggest running something other than the R888. Maybe the Hoosier R comps or the Nitto NT01. A great suspension setup is critical for quick lap times. Just my .02

Last edited:

+1 for Erik. He is a suspension guru as well as an accomplished pro driver. He set up the Hayashi Flamemobile, Paul Mumford's USCC 2 winning Viper as well as my car for USCC 6. May appear pricey on the surface, but worth every penny. One of the smartest people I know as well. Seems like a lot of advise is coming from all directions. Just know we are all trying to help and are behind your effort 100%. Go Jim!

Danny

I know Danny, and believe me I appreciate it much from everybody, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't. So many things going through my head right now trying to get ready for this and a bit nervous considering I have gone a very long way in a very short time to something this major, and you know me well enough to know that I am not an arrogant or egotistical person at all.

Problem is I have a few major priority things that have to be done yet and I am running out of money, let me rephrase that, I'm out of money.

At some point I have to call it a day and I have to work with what I have, and do the best I can with what I have.

You know better than me how much money this stuff takes and how never ending it is...my wallet just isn't that thick. I'm just a poor college student going to Paramedic school, supporting a house, 4 kids and a wife...Thank God she works and lets me spend what little we do have to spare and do this stuff :)

Since the event is allowing pro drivers, Autowave and I are talking about having Erik drive the TA part of the event and I will do the rest of the event. I am not even in the same league as these guys that do it professionally, and I want to win with my car.

My first choice was Billy for the TA, but since he moved to Charlotte he won't be around for the event and also has a Grand Am Event that week as well.

If Erik agrees to drive the TA part, then no doubt he will tune the suspension.

Believe me brother, I am looking at this from every possible angle with eyes wide open.

Again guys, everybody included... I do very much appreciate the thoughts, advice and support more than you know...You guys are what motivated me to do this....so we're all doing it together and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So PLEASE keep the thoughts coming, they make me think and rethink things out, which is a good thing.

+1 for Erik. He is a suspension guru as well as an accomplished pro driver. He set up the Hayashi Flamemobile, Paul Mumford's USCC 2 winning Viper as well as my car for USCC 6. May appear pricey on the surface, but worth every penny. One of the smartest people I know as well. Seems like a lot of advise is coming from all directions. Just know we are all trying to help and are behind your effort 100%. Go Jim!

Danny

Last edited:
http://www.importtuner.com/features/impp_1008_castrol_syntec_top_car_challenge/

These pictures are from the Modified Magazine Tuner Shootout.
Some what blown out of proportion, but we're moving forward

More to follow on the Castrol-Syntec Top Car Shootout from Import Tuner Magazine which will be held on July 21-22 & 23.
3 more issues to follow on the Top Car Challenge.

Modified Tuner Shootout coverage also due out this month in Modified Tuner Magazine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's about what I'm running.... JRZs 600/500.

I find that I have too much body roll and am switching form the Type R sway to the Dali 1". See how this goes. I really liked the setup I had when I was running the Comptech Pros (1000/800). Depending on the switch to the new sways, I may go back to a 1000/800 setup with my JRZs. I find that the 1000/800 difference vs the 600/500 on the street isn't that dramatic, but on the track it is. :cool:

Jim,

I running the Dali 1" sway bar up front and the Zanardi sway bar in the rear.
I have very little body roll on small and tight tracks with this set up and really like the way it feels, turns in and how the rear end sticks.

I think you'll like the 1" sway bar as well. What are you running on the rear ?
I would make the change to the front sway bar first before changing your springs rates. I really think you'll see a big difference and may find what your looking for. Going to the 1" up front really made the biggest difference combined with the smaller bar in the rear for me. Became a total different car, very little roll and a lot more rear grip.

How I got to this point was I made several trips out to Spring Mountain Motorsports Park and ran the Radical Loop. It's a 1.5 layout,
10 turns and a very tight track. It gave me the chance to throw the car around at lower speeds to see how much body roll it had and change out my sway bars a little at a time until I found what I thought was comfortable giving me as little body roll as possible and still keeping it somewhat pliable. (not sure I said that right)

At some point I'm going to go to JRZ's myself. Don't want to get too stiff spring wise since I do a lot of street driving with the car.
I had several conversations with Billy about spring rates and from the testing they did, I did, and discussed what I was feeling with him, the conclusions we came up with, our (what you & I are running) spring rates seem to be very close to ideal.

What did you find is the biggest difference on the track with the 1000/800 set up other than firmness ?
I have never tried anything that high up the latter.

On another note, I will be in Dallas from September until July of 2011, When I have a few days off maybe I can head out your way and we can do a track day together. It would be great to share some track time with you. I've watched your style of driving and I like it since I drive a lot like your style, so I'm sure you can teach me a thing or two :)

That's about what I'm running.... JRZs 600/500.

I find that I have too much body roll and am switching form the Type R sway to the Dali 1". See how this goes. I really liked the setup I had when I was running the Comptech Pros (1000/800). Depending on the switch to the new sways, I may go back to a 1000/800 setup with my JRZs. I find that the 1000/800 difference vs the 600/500 on the street isn't that dramatic, but on the track it is. :cool:

Last edited:
Jim,

I running the Dali 1" sway bar up front and the Zanardi sway bar in the rear.
I have very little body roll on small and tight tracks with this set up and really like the way it feels, turns in and how the rear end sticks.

I think you'll like the 1" sway bar as well. What are you running on the rear ?
I would make the change to the front sway bar first before changing your springs rates. I really think you'll see a big difference and may find what your looking for. Going to the 1" up front really made the biggest difference combined with the smaller bar in the rear for me. Became a total different car, very little roll and a lot more rear grip.

How I got to this point was I made several trips out to Spring Mountain Motorsports Park and ran the Radical Loop. It's a 1.5 layout,
10 turns and a very tight track. It gave me the chance to throw the car around at lower speeds to see how much body roll it had and change out my sway bars a little at a time until I found what I thought was comfortable giving me as little body roll as possible and still keeping it somewhat pliable. (not sure I said that right)

At some point I'm going to go to JRZ's myself. Don't want to get too stiff spring wise since I do a lot of street driving with the car.
I had several conversations with Billy about spring rates and from the testing they did, I did, and discussed what I was feeling with him, the conclusions we came up with, our (what you & I are running) spring rates seem to be very close to ideal.

What did you find is the biggest difference on the track with the 1000/800 set up other than firmness ?
I have never tried anything that high up the latter.

On another note, I will be in Dallas from September until July of 2011, When I have a few days off maybe I can head out your way and we can do a track day together. It would be great to share some track time with you. I've watched your style of driving and I like it since I drive a lot like your style, so I'm sure you can teach me a thing or two :)

I ordered Dali 1" (track) for the front and Dali 0.875 (street/track) for the rear. :wink:

My thinking was the matching 1" in the rear would be too stiff for me as I like to run more compression in the rear than the front ~ like Honda. :cool:

When I was running the 1000/800, I was on Nitto NT01s and the car felt very "crisp" with very little roll. I couldn't throw it around and slide it like my current setup on Dunlop Z1s. It was much more like a 911 GT3 - very precise, like a scalpel. You could drive it fast as long as you were very smooth, but it was not very forgiving and all corrections had to be small and made very quickly.

Looks like our cars are going to have similar setups - well except for the 600hp, the rear wing, vented hood, splitter, the wide body and the supper wide stickey tires. Ha! :)

Not sure I could handle that 600hp. The last car I drove with 600hp (Carrera GT) scared the shit out of me. My car is paid off in Sept so FI is the winter project - a nice even 400 rwhp for me.

Let us all know the date/place for the Top Car Challenge. I have free airfare. :)

Last edited:
I ordered Dali 1" (track) for the front and Dali 0.875 (street/track) for the rear. :wink:

I'm at 1" front and .750 rear. I really think you're going to like that combination.

My thinking was the matching 1" in the rear would be too stiff for me as I like to run more compression in the rear than the front ~ like Honda. :cool:

I agree totally....I found that keeping the rear smaller allows the rear end to flex keeping the rear tires on the ground much better.

When I was running the 1000/800, I was on Nitto NT01s and the car felt very "crisp" with very little roll. I couldn't throw it around and slide it like my current setup on Dunlop Z1s. It was much more like a 911 GT3 - very precise, like a scalpel. You could drive it fast as long as you were very smooth, but it was not very forgiving and all corrections had to be small and made very quickly.

That's kinda what I figured would happen....which wouldn't work for me since I need all the forgiveness I can get with this much power :)
I'm not Billy Johnson, that's for sure...

Looks like our cars are going to have similar setups - well except for the 600hp, the rear wing, vented hood, splitter, the wide body and the supper wide stickey tires. Ha! :)

LOL....

Not sure I could handle that 600hp. The last car I drove with 600hp (Carrera GT) scared the shit out of me. My car is paid off in Sept so FI is the winter project - a nice even 400 rwhp for me.

You could handle it, I've seen you're driving and you are smooth enough it would be a piece of cake for you. You'd get used to it in a quick hurry. What's funny is when I first started driving my car the way it is now, I thought man, this car is way to fast. But as I continue to drive and track it, I find myself saying, wish I had just a little more power :biggrin: But I am going to leave it as is, It's plenty enough to get myself in trouble in a quick hurry, and I don't want to turn it into a rat motor that continually has problems. I have 10,000 miles on this new motor with about 15 track days in the last 6 months and it's running like a clock. Autowave built me one hell of a solid motor.

It will be interesting to see the difference when we run the Top Car Challenge, turn up the boost and run 108 octane. That should get us another 50-60 rwhp for this competition, but then after I will go back to the street map I use now for driving on 91 octane and for most track days at 100 octane. I am not going to temp fate to many times.

Let us all know the date/place for the Top Car Challenge. I have free airfare. :)

Wednesday July 21, 8 am to 5 pm.
K & N Dyno: Dyno, Power to Weight and Emissions (emissions yea right, LOL)
After the day ends at K & N, we have what they call an Endurance Test. We drive from Riverside to Buttonwillow during peak traffic time. I will have my AC going and be watching a DVD while my GPS tells me the way :biggrin:

Thursday: July 22, 8am to 5 pm.
1/4 Mile Times
1/4 Trap Speeds
Acceleration: 0-60
Braking: 80 to 0

Friday July 22, 8 am to 2 pm or so.
TA: Lap Times

Last edited:
The Castrol Top Car Challenge has begun....

Spent a day at FXMD on Sat. having the car corner balanced and aligned. Whats truly amazing is the car was exactly corner balanced at the same spec's as the last time Fes did in back in December 09 so we didn't have to touch it. Incredible job and knowledge Fes has with set up. Saw Ken for a little while and to make sure I was covered tire wise for the competition, Ken gave me a new set of Toyo R-888's in the sizes I'm using of out friendship and ongoing sponsorship & support. Ken, Fes and all the guys at FXMD are truly great guys, and true friends with their never ending support and help. Fes and Bosco committed to being at the event on Thursday and Friday for my track side support. Thanks guys, I'm honored to have you there by my side through this.

Sunday, Monday & Tuesday were at Autowave installing a boost controller, a new custom made crank pulley/dampener, checking the car over an creating maps/tuning the car for the competition. Can't thank Mike enough for spending 12 hour days with me making sure we are ready for the competition. Shane, Mike, Ron, Mark, Steve, Louis, all the guys at Autowave are also truly incredible friends and for their never ending support they are so willing to extend. Also found out Mike's wife Devin in pregnant and they are expecting a baby girl in December..that is so cool. They will both make great parents. Mike committed to being at the event on Thursday and Friday for my track side support. Thanks Mike, I'm honored to have you there by my side through this.

I'm truly blessed to have all these guys willing to do whatever it takes to make sure we put out our best effort as a team and show what the NSX can do, and most important, for their personal support and friendship every step of the way.

Checked the car in today at K & N...

Competition starts tomorrow at K & N at 0800 and then we head off to Buttonwillow around 4 PM for the track parts of the competition on Thursday and Friday.

Now to try and get some sleep tonight, or actually the next 3 nights...:)

Last edited:
Back