• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Center console is dead - please help.

Hi guys!
Im going to buy my dream car next thursday, it has some bad points. The biggest is central console, its dead. No backlight, climate controle, radio etc.
Also ABS light is flashing intermitenntly. Blower must be operative because I will drive rom UK to Poland :)
Any clues from what should I start? Fuses are OK.

So many possible causes!

So, the clock is dead, the climate control is dead and the stereo is dead? The first thing to check would be fuse #33 which supplies power to all of those items. However, there are other things that could cause the same problem. Not sure why the ABS light would be flashing; but, the first step there would be to use the service check connector to trigger the display of error codes. I would be inclined to get a copy of the service manual for the car (copies are available on line) since it sounds like you are going to need it.

That is the only 'common cause' that affects the clock, CCU and stereo. I suppose it is possible that all three items are dead due to capacitor failures, particularly if they failed one after another. Given that the car is 27 years old, if the CCU and stereo haven't failed already you should be planning for repair because of the seemingly inevitable capacitor failures. If the fuse does not fix things I think you will have to pull the center counsel apart to access the connectors and start checking and tracing the wiring. Make sure to check that the CCU and stereo and clock have not failed - no point in tracing the wiring it they are dead.

If all three items failed at once then its likely that the problem is external. If you have not purchased the car yet, the original owner may be able to shed some clues about how the items failed.

Thank you very much, will see on thursday whats going on.
If all components are broken, is there a way to start wents skipping CCU?

Last edited:
With a little jumper wire on the blower Hi relay, it would be relatively easy to force the blower motor to run on high speed continuously. This may be absolutely useless if vent controls are closed and the recirculation control is not accepting outside air. If the CCU has failed, I don't know what position these devices are in. With an inoperative CCU, it would be completely unrealistic to try to get the air conditioning to run. Since the CCU is inoperative, you don't know what position the heater control valve is in. As such, you probably should disconnect the valve actuating mechanism and force the valve closed to reduce the hot water flowing through the heater core and heating inside the cabin. Check the service manual ahead of time to get the location of the heater valve - its not that hard to access once you know where to look. You are also going to need that service manual if you are going to have any chance of diagnosing any electrical problems.

Is Europe still suffering from the heat wave that started about a week ago? Does the car have the black interior? Is the car Berlina black? If the answer to all three is yes, you have my sympathy. Follow [MENTION=28830]jwmelvin[/MENTION] 's back-up plan and perhaps plan to drive the car during the night rather than during the day.

Since you are picking up the car in the UK, you might be close to the UK's reining NSX maintenance expert

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811-Today-at-Atelier-Kaz-NSX-Enthusiast

If you are reasonably close, it might be useful to contact [MENTION=25737]Kaz-kzukNA1[/MENTION] to see if you can arrange for him to look at the non functioning center console (and perhaps flag any other issues)

Uk is not So Hot as continent, the car is Red. Im not afraid of temperature, rather steam on windscreen and noise on motorway, doing 1000mile with open window.

IS there any other way to contact mr Kaz-kzukNA1?

You could try a private message to him on Prime; but, I expect that since you have a new account you are blocked from the PM function. You could post a request on the NSX Great Britain forum to see if anyone has the contact information for his shop in the UK.

Ok, So Im back home, done 1900km with my New baby.
Acc unit have 12 capasitors broken, ABS light dissapeares after changing stop bulb. Radio is nów beeing checked. But I have some more problems:
- what cd changer was originally in nsx from 1992?
- my car is without power steering it it better or worse in terms of car value?
- gears are pretty hard to put, is it a way to adjust them or it seems for a clutch problem?
-how to refurbish aluminium decor parts: triangle with nsx sign next to door handle and triangle in bottom of side Glass.
Apart from some cosmetics car is Fan tas tic! I love it!!!

Last edited:
Ps or nor ps does not matter in value. As for the door handles. If the rubber is worn, you need to buy a whole handle unit. The rubber cant be bought from honda extra.

- what cd changer was originally in nsx from 1992?
- my car is without power steering it it better or worse in terms of car value?
- gears are pretty hard to put, is it a way to adjust them or it seems for a clutch problem?

I think the original 6 disc CD changer was a Kenwood. I have one sitting in a box in my garage if you really feel the need to have one. Most people replace the CD changer with something like a Grom

https://gromaudio.com/

There are alternatives to the Grom if you do a little searching.

Power steering only came on the automatic transmission equipped cars in 1992. As such, if you want a standard shift car power steering was not an option and as such power steering does not enter into the determination of the cars value.

Not sure about the trim pieces you are referring to. Bare aluminum can be polished with metal polish; but, there isn't really any bare aluminum trim on the NSX. Are you talking about those black metal trim pieces? If its just scratched up, you can try polishing with a high cut polishing compound. If it badly scratched or the paint is worn off then the parts need to be repainted.

If you need to order new parts, I expect that being in Europe your lowest cost will be to order from www.Amayama.com or www.thensxshop.com . Both of these vendors are in Japan. I am in Canada and have ordered parts from both these vendors. It is cheaper for me to order parts directly from these vendors than it is to order from the discount vendors in the US.

Now that you have your NSX you most valuable purchase will be a shop manual for the car (or at least get a copy of the .pdf version of the shop manual - you should be able to find links on Prime).

The original CD player was Alpine CHAS 631 (I think that is the correct model). There was a later model called a CHAS 634 which could play MP3's. Better to go with the iPod option. If you did go for the CD, there is a NSX specific bracket to fit it in the boot.

Where in the UK are you?

You are probably going to have some more fun with bad capacitors in the head unit, speaker amps, SRS unit and dash module...Kaz will fix most of these for you and for the head unit will prepare it for using the iPod adaptor. Email him via the NSXCB web site.

Good idea to change your clutch and gearbox fluids, that may improve gear selection. Make sure the pedal is adjusted correctly too.

Is is LHD or RHD?

All MT NSX had powersteering after 1993+. The clutch pedal usualy has never to be adjusted. Only use Honda MTF tranny oil.

I am from Austria and have the biggest stocking of nsx parts from 25 parted cars and i stock over 6000 new oem parts. Thats not true the lowest price are from foreign shops. Some parts like timingbelt and TO bearing is way cheaper in the EU. And you can always ask me and usualy i can price match or lower the price. My parts are incl tax and customs already and are within a few days in the UK. I ship lots into the UK.

Hit me an email: [email protected]

Where in the UK are you?

Good idea to change your clutch and gearbox fluids, that may improve gear selection. Make sure the pedal is adjusted correctly too.

Is is LHD or RHD?

I live in Poland, only bought car in UK, its a Lhd.
Shipping cost from USA and AU are killing me...

Last question for today: whats the correct rpm for my car on neutral?

I live in Poland, only bought car in UK, its a Lhd.
Shipping cost from USA and AU are killing me...

Last question for today: whats the correct rpm for my car on neutral?

The correct idle speed for an NA1 manual transmission car once the engine is up to operating temperature is 800 +/- 50 RPM. Don't trust your dash tachometer to give you a precise RPM reading. The calibration drifts with age. There is a test loop on the igniter module (for magnetic pick ups) and a connector on the right side of the engine compartment (for voltage pick ups) that can be used with a test tachometer to verify the actual engine speed.

Both Amayama and the NSXshop use Japan Post to ship their packages. They either have a special deal with Japan Post or Japan Post has the worlds lowest postage charges. I just ordered some rubber pieces for my NSX from Amayama and the shipping cost was the equivalent of about 6 Euro for a tracked and insured package. Took about 5 weeks; but, I was in no hurry. I avoid US vendors that are set up only to use courier services because their overhead charges are 'killing me'. I recently ordered a special steering coupling for another car from Woodward Steering in the US. The part was only $25 but the expedited courier charge and brokerage fee was over $50 - gag me!

As to your stiff shifting, make sure that your clutch is releasing completely. If your clutch is releasing completely, then your synchros are likely worn. You can try the 'synchromesh cocktail' which may help. Use the search bar on Prime to get a description of the cocktail. If it is really bad then the gear box needs a rebuild. I can't comment on the 5 speed; but, I find that the later 6 speed gearbox on my car is very temperature sensitive. When it is cold, you need to be slow and deliberate with the shifts to avoid a balked shift or grinding. Once the transmission is really hot, shifting becomes exceedingly smooth.

Ok guys, little update after one week of having NSX.
- climate control panel is working now - 12 condensators were dead, AC is not working, I will put some refigernt and see if compressor will start,
- radio unit work is in progress - also lot of dead condensators,
- we have removed additional security Bosch system (added in 1993 for 1950 Deutsche Marks :) ), only coused problems,
- gears are running smoothly only when engine is cold - for start I will change gearbox oil + filter and then we will go further,
- in August lot of detailing , painting, and mechanic work is planned. I think that on midd or late August car will be ready to go!!!
-today I had first emergency braking. ABS doesnt work but the light on dashboard is off. Brake fluid came from tank, and after restarting the car strange klicking came from the Hood...

Last edited:
I think I saw this car advertised for sale when it was in the UK - it was evident that it was going to need some love and attention, so I'm pleased to see that it's found an owner who will give it that! :) Are you doing the work yourself or with the help of a shop?

Kaz has probably fixed every possible problem on an NSX, and posted about it on his blog. Depending on what kind of person you are it's either a really useful reference point or will give you nightmares about what else you have to fix!

You're in good hands with Christian at ATR too. Please keep us posted on how the resurrection goes! :)

OK, little update.

After having car for more then a week I had an accident with dog :(, dog is allright but my bumper, door and fender were broken. Bodywork and paintwork is done and car looks much better.

Car was done in late September, then on October i was going on reverse from my garage and snap ring cracked :) I,ve orderd new tranny and some other parts from ATR (whole new ABS system upgrade) and now waiting to install them. I think that the clutch also will need some attention.

Radio unit needs new michrochip or whole mainboard - maybe some of you have it somewhere and want to sell.
70764835_346373726089790_8064060106242785280_n.jpg

Back