• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Climate Control Dead - Unable to Resurrect - Help Please!

Hey everyone,
Well my climate control went dead like a lot of people it appears. I went through the normal steps like everyone else. I had the capacitors all replaced successfully by one of the fellas people recommended on here. Still dead. Then was told to check the tail light relay and fuses #33 and #38. They were all ok. So I guess at this time need to know if there are any more options to try. I just dread taking it to Acura and have them diagnose as I know it will be an arm and a leg. I guess how is one to know which part of the climate control it is, but then again I haven't heard of the display part going bad, but who knows. Also, if I was to purchase a new board for it, would Acura let me buy it and if it doesn't help, could I return it? Just curious. Please help if anyone has any ideas. Thanks a million. Bearcat

When you say it went dead, I assume that means you are not getting power to it at all. That is different then the normal problems such as running only on the high setting and turning on and off by itself.

Have someone experienced in electronics trace it to see if it is getting a 12 volt signal to it.

Well tonight I went through the service manual (thanks nsxprime) and tested with a voltmeter all the power circuits. They all checked fine. So it must be the unit still, and not any wiring in the car. Now the main thing is either figure out what is still wrong with mine, most likely it being the large circuit board in the back still since there is no power going to the front display area. Any ideas, or am I just doomed to buy a new control board. Boy, wouldn't that stink if it still didn't correct it???

Nick, thanks for posting all of those threads, however I had read through all of those, and the bummer thing is that everyone else seemed to in the end be able to fix theirs. I have tried all of those options suggested and still no luck. I called Acura of Omaha to see how much the climate control board costs and they said $782.00 with no returns at all on any NSX stuff. Ugh. I just hate to jump and order one if that's not the problem. What to do, what to do.

As you can see from my thread - I tried to repair my boars for $120 and it lasted about 2 weeks before going on/off and finally just off.

I also reported that through Daliracing.com you can get the part for $586.

I too did all the checks in the manual but haven't replaced the board yet (just got it). I too am praying this works. I will try to get to it this weekend.

Nick,
Thanks for the update. I will be anxiously awaiting to see if your new board miraculously brings your climate control back to life. I'm ready to get my interior put back together. BTW, how long did it take to get the board from them?

In stock and only took 3 days from California to St. Louis.

YMMV.

nick

NSXmaniac said:
Nick,
Thanks for the update. I will be anxiously awaiting to see if your new board miraculously brings your climate control back to life. I'm ready to get my interior put back together. BTW, how long did it take to get the board from them?

I just reinstalled my climate control unit after sending the unit to Langguth Electronics and it works perfect now. I had the symptom of "only runs on high."

Thanks to everyone that has contributed with comments and photos in the past. It also gave me a chance to do the aspirator fan fix and replace my coin tray which had holes drilled in it from a previous owners cellular.

I wanted to give a few pieces of advice to anyone doing this project in the future:

1. To pull the gearshift boot away from the gearshift knob, there are clips on the front and rear of the knob itself that have to be depressed. Once you have them pushed in, then you can easily pull the boot down and unscrew the knob.

2. A trick to not dropping screws as you try and put them back in is to take a magnet(usually sold at parts/hardware stores) and stick it to the blade of your phillips head screwdriver at an angle. This will prevent the screws from falling off as you try and put them back in. There are a few that you cannot hold with your other hand.

3. Make sure the ducting behind the dash vents is clipped into place before you put the vent back in. When I took mine out the ducting was just laying loose behind the climate control (obviously someone had been in there before). It's a little tricky getting the vent back in, I had to reach behind the vents and put downward pressure on the ducting to get the vents back in.

NSXmaniac said:
Nick,

Sorry this took so long but the new unit is working perfectly as I had hoped.

Back