• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Changing Main Relay?

Yes it looks like the blk/yel out of the ignition switch (which is activated by the ON position) supplies power to the under-dash fuse box. It appears fuse no. 5 in that box supplies power to the gauge cluster. Or check the ground points. But it sounds like you've done that. It seems like if the instrument cluster doesn't light up at all then there must be something other than the ECM because only certain indicators are driven by the ECM. Right?

Interesting conversation. My EPS light is on and no Power Steering. Pull the Clock fuse and and put it back and it all works again but not for long. Do you think replacing the main relay could be the fix?

Interesting conversation. My EPS light is on and no Power Steering. Pull the Clock fuse and and put it back and it all works again but not for long. Do you think replacing the main relay could be the fix?

Sounds like it might be something else. Pulling the clock fuse might be erasing the error from the EPS controller brain. Best bet is to pull the EPS code and then we can figure out what's going on.

If the engine starts and runs, its pretty much a guarantee that the main FI relay is functioning just fine. The FI stands for Fuel Injection - if the Fuel Injection craps out then consider the Main FI relay as a possibility.

This would be a better place to start looking for a solution to your EPS problems

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/179685-EPS-Electronic-Power-Steering-Please-help?p=1765389&viewfull=1#post1765389[/FONT]

Drove my '95 for 20 minutes or so. It started and ran perfectly. Turned it off. Came back to car 30 minutes later and turned the key to start the car

(can't remember if I let it set at the accessory on position / not starting position - I usually let it set there for a few seconds before starting)

and something very, very briefly happened - I think the engine turned over for 1 split second and then nothing.

Heart skips a beat because the trunk is full of Costco perishables!

Then, try to crank it again and it works perfectly.

All this happened at least once several months ago.

I have a main relay replacement. Does this sound like it is failing?. If that is what it is does anyone know where instructions are on the web to swap it out?

Thanks.

Drove my '95 for 20 minutes or so. It started and ran perfectly. Turned it off. Came back to car 30 minutes later and turned the key to start the car

(can't remember if I let it set at the accessory on position / not starting position - I usually let it set there for a few seconds before starting)

and something very, very briefly happened - I think the engine turned over for 1 split second and then nothing.

I have a main relay replacement. Does this sound like it is failing?. If that is what it is does anyone know where instructions are on the web to swap it out?

Thanks.

No. What you describe seems more like a failing ignition switch. A failed main relay will not stop the engine from cranking. It will stop the engine from starting. You can crank the thing until the cows come home and the engine will not start.

If the dash indicator lights flickered out briefly during the failed start attempt that is almost a guarantee of a failing ignition switch. A clutch switch stopper dropping out will also prevent starting; but, that problem is not intermittent. Once the stopper drops out you are dead in the water unless you know how to bump start or do the starter remote switch trick.

I would purchase a new ignition switch to go with your spare main FI relay, except I would install it and then clean up the old one for a spare. It is not not super expensive if you buy it from the on-line discount OEM vendors (less than a main relay as I recall). Rock Auto has non OEM replacements pretty cheap.

I second on the ignition switch.

Thanks.

I second "Old Guy" on the ignition switch. You can take it apart and clean all the contacts. Performed this operation 5 years ago an it's still going strong.

Just now seeing this many thanks for the input Old Guy and Charlee. I have since purchased a new ignition switch. I have not had the car "do it" again but I have the part if it does!

If you have the new part on hand you might want to consider installing it. If the problem reoccurs again with a trunkload of Costco perishables and sticks around, an ignition switch replacement is not exactly a parking lot fix. Its not a difficult replacement to do; but, not something I would want to do in a Costco parking lot.

If you do the replacement now, you can pull apart the old switch and clean up the contacts and it can be your back-up switch for when your new switch fails 25 years from now.

If you have the new part on hand you might want to consider installing it. If the problem reoccurs again with a trunkload of Costco perishables and sticks around, an ignition switch replacement is not exactly a parking lot fix. Its not a difficult replacement to do; but, not something I would want to do in a Costco parking lot.

If you do the replacement now, you can pull apart the old switch and clean up the contacts and it can be your back-up switch for when your new switch fails 25 years from now.

I’m going to wait for cooler weather for preventative care.

Back