• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Changing the Fuel Filter

Does anyone know if there's a trick or something I need to know before changing my Fuel Filter, which hasn't been done for 18 years and 195000 miles.

Do you have air tools? It is a little tricky without an impact gun.

I've done it without an impact gun. PITA. I end up cutting my hand and a couple of busted nuckles. It's going to be on there very tight. It's not because it was overtightened, its from pressure.

Make sure you disconnect your battery and remove your fuel gas cap to help relieve some of the pressure.

Make sure you have replacement crush washers. Do not reuse the old ones. If I recall, the OEM fuel filter kit comes with all the washer you will need.

Last edited:
Make sure you have replacement crush washers. Do not reuse the old ones. If I recall, the OEM fuel filter kit comes with all the washer you will need.

Yes, the crush washers inclusive. Wearing gloves and eye-protection is recommended.

195k miles with the first fuel filter, not bad. Why do you change it now? If it has been good upto this mileage it may be good for another 200k miles (j/k). :tongue::D

The software won't let me post the same pic again, so I have to post a link to where I originally posted it:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42856&d=1212660602

If you click in that area you get a blank box to type a search term, say "seat belt". The software returns 250 posts containing "seat", "belt", & "seat belt". This can be a pain (try searching "cat" & you'll see what I mean, especially if you mean feline and all the posts are for converters).

If you drag your mouse down just below the blank spot, you see where it says "advanced search"? Click on that & you can specify dates (posts older/newer than a certain time period), who posted it, which forum(s), etc.

So say you are pretty sure you saw a post by Hugh on seat belts ~9 months ago, but you can't find it & you aren't sure which forum it was in. You could advance search & put in "Hugh" for the poster (the software shows a dropdown of matching names once you type the 1st 3 or 4 letters), "seat belt" for search term, & control+click the owners forum & DIY forums for where to search (assuming those are the most likely places for it to be or where you think it was). You could always control+click the track talk one too if maybe it was for 4 or 5 point belts. Select "6 months" for time period & "older than" for time frame to search.Then hit search & wait. You will get up to 250 hits back for your term that Hugh posted prior to 6 months ago.

The only real drawbacks are if you search a 3 letter term it may not take it or finds a buttload of irrelevant hits. (see "cat" above. "oil" is a bad one too). Also, even if you specify older than a year ago, but 250 hits come up before it finds the really old post you were after, it will probably never appear in your results.

Hope this helps.

Tony

What & where is the search button ?

Last edited:
Funny fuel filter story. Back when I bought my MR2 turbo, I went to the dealer to purchase a new fuel filter and when the parts guys brought me one from the back he said, you realize these are lifetime filters! I said, so why do you stock them? The look on his face was priceless. We both had a good laugh, but he really had no idea why.:rolleyes:

Funny fuel filter story. Back when I bought my MR2 turbo, I went to the dealer to purchase a new fuel filter and when the parts guys brought me one from the back he said, you realize these are lifetime filters! I said, so why do you stock them? The look on his face was priceless. We both had a good laugh, but he really had no idea why.:rolleyes:

haha that is funny:biggrin:

Kinda like the lifetime brake pads I put on my civic every year...

Back