• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check Engine Light

Today on the way to work, I noticed my check engine light was on. So upon arriving at work, I mentioned it to someone and they suggested that I check to make sure my gas cap was tight as that could cause the problem. So sure enough, it was loose. What disturbs me is that I last got gas 2 days ago and have driven about 200 miles since then, but I first noticed the light this morning. I guess it's possible (but unlikely) that the light was on before this morning and I didn't notice. So after tightening the gas cap, the light is still on. The guy who suggested tightening the gas cap also said that the light will stay on for about a week until the computer resets itself.

So my question is this: should I be concerned that the light is still on or should I just continue to drive and assume everything is fine??

Instead of waiting until the computer clears itself, you can reset the ECU yourself. Pull the 7.5 A clock fuse in the front fuse box. Wait a few minutes then insert fuse back into its slot. You will then have to re-program your radio stations and re-adjust your AC settings. If the ECU is truly happy, there will be no more CEL.

Eric5273 said:
So my question is this: should I be concerned that the light is still on or should I just continue to drive and assume everything is fine??
This appears to be a common problem on the '02+ models. It happened to me several times. First time I took it to the dealer to see if there was a problem w/the gas cap and they said everything was fine. They did not charge me for the service (did it under warranty). After that I just reset the CEL with the procedure given by Andy. FYI - I put the gas cap on by holding the cap where you feel the perferations, there by stopping the it from prematurely clicking.

I've been having this problem for several years and am tired of visits to the dealer. I'm on my third gas cap and counting. At first I thought it was my fault for not securing the gas cap properly. I'll try this fix as above and see if it works. Sounds like it does, thanks.

I'm curious if many others have the same situations recurring?

Another option for the OBDII cars is to pick up a scanner/reset tool and clear the code. You can pick them up for under $50 these days and it becomes a 30 second procedure to clear the code. Also great for diagnosing issues.

Back